Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection and heavy rain forecast

Hi
    My inspection is due tomorrow or thursday.The weather forecast is rain all day. The garden is already getting like a swamp lol. I know from previous inspections that I am expected to use outside as well as inside when they are here. But how bad does the rain have to be to justify staying in? we do have a tent to go in outside, but thats then not very physical play. I do have a visual timetable so I suppose I could put outside play in for the afternoon when she has gone.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vals View Post
    Hi
    My inspection is due tomorrow or thursday.The weather forecast is rain all day. The garden is already getting like a swamp lol. I know from previous inspections that I am expected to use outside as well as inside when they are here. But how bad does the rain have to be to justify staying in? we do have a tent to go in outside, but thats then not very physical play. I do have a visual timetable so I suppose I could put outside play in for the afternoon when she has gone.
    Children have to have the opportunity to play outdoors but we can't force them for an inspector
    If they are happy playing inside then you can explain what is on offer for the children, show photographs and that is ok.

I did not use the garden during my last inspection...it was a very very hot day and the child was not keen but I showed the inspector what was available....plus I discussed other opportunities such as going to the park, outings and walking in the community.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you got any areas in your garden that collects water for puddles? Mine love wearing puddle suits and wellies and umbrellas and just jumping in puddles - lots of areas covered including physical - could only be for 10 mins, but shows you go out in all weathers!

You could put lots of containers out today to collect water - then just go outside to collect them when Inspector is here - if all containers the same - did they collect the same amount? If different which container had most - then you could do some science water play indoors after - capacity, transferring, syringes and tubing, pipettes etc..? I did this last year with 3/4 year olds and we covered the containers with different materials to see which was most waterproof.... Can also build fairy shelters with sticks .. ( or lego ) cover with different materials - pop outside - observe from window - then see which one is most waterproof - we did this when we built a fairy house to decide what to put on roof - we poured water on but the real thing would be much better. ( we built it around ice cream container so it dripped through and made the tiny ducks float...you could make up a story around ducks?) put ducks on ground and watch for puddle to form and ducks to float....

Or you could just decide it's too wet and not go out ! Talk about it with children beforehand and say you will go out when the rain eases...they have to watch for this?

Good luck.

4. Likes caresite liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If children like to go out then it does not have to be for long- and lots of opportunitties to show independence and selfcare! What should we wear in the rain? going to get their own coats/boots, putting on boots by themselves left/right etc, watching rain drops, collecting in buckets etc etc- you might only be out there 10 mins but there is so much you can demonstrate to inspector, see it as an opportunity!

6. Likes caresite liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My children didn't go outdoors on my last inspection. But I did have a lot of evidence from when we do go outdoors for the Inspector, photos, obs mentioning outdoor activities etc. It would be good for you to ask your children, in front of the inspector, if they would like to go outdoors - then you are demonstrating that you let the children have choices. If they say yes get them to show independence by choosing wet wear clothes and getting ready by themselves then playing outdoors in the rain. If they choose 'no' get them to elaborate why and extend the conversation into maybe them risk assessing it ie 'too wet, I don't want to get my new shoes wet, the path is very slippy' etc or maybe steer the conversation towards being aware of 'time' and they could play later when it stops raining or the day after. Use the opportunity for communication and listening and getting the children to chatter and share their knowledge. Who knows where the conversation will go. Best of luck for tomorrow. Be confident in all that you do!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It was snowing when I had my inspection and there was lovely deep snow everywhere. I know snow is a bit more exciting than rain for most children and so I didn't have to force them to go out, lol! We were out for about 10 minutes before one little one wanted to come inside. I actually didn't get any outdoor equipment out - the snow was enough of a resource. If the children had asked then I would have got stuff out but they were just loving crunching around in the snow making trails. We honestly took longer getting ready to go outside than we actually spent playing outside, lol! My inspector had brought her moonboots with her, so she was prepared!

Getting dressed for different types of weather is a massive learning opportunity in itself. Could you decide that teddy needs to go for a walk - how will you keep him dry? Once they have done a lap of the garden they can come back in if they feel the need, or they can stay outside squelching on the grass. Could you maybe put some dinosaurs out today with shelters - a cardboard box, a plastic box etc - which one kept them dry? Do you have any actual puddles? Could you go and splash in them tomorrow - maybe add food colouring, glitter or rubber ducks and little fishing nets? Chalking on the patio in the rain is quite fun.

Physical play happens everywhere, indoors and out, so don't worry about focusing on that outdoors. Pulling on their rainsuits and wellies is a physical challenge for lots of little ones. Physical play includes fine motor skills too, don't forget. You could always do some dancing to music back inside.

I would definitely try and get out though, it just breaks things up - inspections can go on for hours! Embrace the rain - what vocabulary can you introduce, what senses can you use to experience the rain? Have some rainy day books/poems on display and have some rainy songs on the tip of your tongue.

Make sure that your little ones know they must come dressed for the rain and have spares just in case. xx

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. I have already noted on my sort of sef that parents not bringing suitable clothing when requested so am gradually purchasing things myself. so by winter might have rain suits . Of course the child that has worn wellington boots everyday for 3 months will prob come in crocs tomorrow hehe.
    we did enjoy being in the tent yesterday - its a 4 man one and was only 12.00 from Asda. I realised i couldnt think of childrens campfire songs so i will make sure i have one prepared for tomorrow. We all lay in the tent and at the time I chuckled wondering if the inspector would have joined us or stood outside the tent in the rain.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi My inspection is due tomorrow or thursday.The weather forecast is rain all day. The garden is already getting like a swamp lol. I know from previous inspections that I am expected to use outside as well as inside when they are here. But how bad does the rain have to be to justify staying in? we do have a tent to go in outside, but thats then not very physical play. I do have a visual timetable so I suppose I could put outside play in for the afternoon when she has gone.
    Good luck today vals, looking forward to your feedback :-) weather has dried up here today so hope it has for you too :-) :-)

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, had a Good morning with the inspector. When we went outside it wasn't raining but it started to rain and she retreated indoors and left us to it. we stayed outside for the rest of the morning and she popped to the door every so often to ask a question.

My tips - if she doesn't see you do it or evidence, then it will be assumed that you don't.

They have a phrase I have seen a few times about making the most of opportunities to educate etc -so for EVERYTHING you say and do you need to add a bit more , so a child achieving something for the first time, praise and encouragement isn't enough, you need to add something more -which in my opinion will detract from the moment esp when i know the child.
    I am happy with the outcome, and the 2 things that I can do to improve I will be ignoring, as one is as above, the other about print outside - my fault for not telling her about the print we had outside the other day. this is where its tough as there is no opportunity to argue or explain. she said to tell her if i think of anything -so while we were outside i went to the back door twice and called out that i needed to tell her something. lol.

She said we all need to download and read the new CIF.
    She asked to see my daughters crbs etc
    she didn't pass comment on anything so I don't know what she liked etc. I would have liked to know as I have put an a lot of effort with my display and some different resources this year.
    I don't do an online SEF but I did type out a list of things I have done since last time etc and my future plans etc. and she did read it.

13. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi all, had a Good morning with the inspector. When we went outside it wasn't raining but it started to rain and she retreated indoors and left us to it. we stayed outside for the rest of the morning and she popped to the door every so often to ask a question.

My tips - if she doesn't see you do it or evidence, then it will be assumed that you don't.

They have a phrase I have seen a few times about making the most of opportunities to educate etc -so for EVERYTHING you say and do you need to add a bit more , so a child achieving something for the first time, praise and encouragement isn't enough, you need to add something more -which in my opinion will detract from the moment esp when i know the child.
    I am happy with the outcome, and the 2 things that I can do to improve I will be ignoring, as one is as above, the other about print outside - my fault for not telling her about the print we had outside the other day. this is where its tough as there is no opportunity to argue or explain. she said to tell her if i think of anything -so while we were outside i went to the back door twice and called out that i needed to tell her something. lol.

she didn't pass comment on anything so I don't know what she liked etc. I would have liked to know as I have put an a lot of effort with my display and some different resources this year.
    I don't do an online SEF but I did type out a list of things I have done since last time etc and my future plans etc. and she did read it.
    thank you for your feedback, and I am glad you are happy with the outcome.

I'm liking the idea of being outside in the rain, with the inspector inside!

hmmm, I'm sort of with you. If a child does something for the first time, you are going to praise and encourage, and then, then next time they go to do it, then you encourage them that little bit more/extend etc, otherwise they won't feel they have been praised/acknowledged for what they actually did achieve! ( yesterday when I said it was time to go out, my LO picked up his boots and instead of just bringing them to me, tried and succeeded in putting them on himself. we were all saying well done, clever boy etc. later on when he went to put them on again, I helped him get them on the right feet this time! it would have knocked his confidence if I'd corrected him the first time, or tried to get him to do something else! )

15. Likes Maza, caresite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab well done, sounds like it was good nevertheless :-) Did she expand on what print she expects to see outside exactly?

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside print - she said its up to me how i do it and she doesn't expect laminated words all over the fence. But I have a tent outside and she said i could have print in there. If she had asked about how i use the tent I would have told her that in the morning i put something in the tent, today it was a box of musical instruments as they led on from a conversation in the tent the day before about camp fire songs, the original plan had been books but we had a story time in the morning before we went outside - as per the visual timetable. So again we need to pre empt things and tell them what we do when they aren't there - maybe write down how we cover all areas both inside and out. we even had a huge bucket of shells and another of pine cones that yesterday they made into a picture but equally have been made into letters.
    Personally i don't see why we have to blast them with print everywhere they look, there is more than enough print in the world and in a our homes, and thats not the only thing that matters, Esp as the children its aimed at can't read anyway lol.
    it feels we are forced to accept whatever they say with no way of having out input or using common sense.

I have remembered more about when the child cut up a banana for the first time and I neglected to count as he did it - we did have a conversation about banana cutting afterwards were we talked about the day before when a child opened a banana and it broke and they laughed about it,so i told them that next week i will show them how to cut up a banana before we peel it. But of course she wanted counting at that moment. its that can't win situation-but I am stilll happy with the outcome as thats what i expected from this inspector.
    [/SUB]

18. Likes Maza, loocyloo, caresite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside print - she said its up to me how i do it and she doesn't expect laminated words all over the fence. But I have a tent outside and she said i could have print in there. If she had asked about how i use the tent I would have told her that in the morning i put something in the tent, today it was a box of musical instruments as they led on from a conversation in the tent the day before about camp fire songs, the original plan had been books but we had a story time in the morning before we went outside - as per the visual timetable. So again we need to pre empt things and tell them what we do when they aren't there - maybe write down how we cover all areas both inside and out. we even had a huge bucket of shells and another of pine cones that yesterday they made into a picture but equally have been made into letters. Personally i don't see why we have to blast them with print everywhere they look, there is more than enough print in the world and in a our homes, and thats not the only thing that matters, Esp as the children its aimed at can't read anyway lol. it feels we are forced to accept whatever they say with no way of having out input or using common sense. I have remembered more about when the child cut up a banana for the first time and I neglected to count as he did it - we did have a conversation about banana cutting afterwards were we talked about the day before when a child opened a banana and it broke and they laughed about it,so i told them that next week i will show them how to cut up a banana before we peel it. But of course she wanted counting at that moment. its that can't win situation-but I am stilll happy with the outcome as thats what i expected from this inspector. [/SUB]
    Oh gosh I'm dreading mine they sound ridiculous in some of their findings :-(

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on your inspection and thanks for the feedback - I agree about outdoor print, I have a few construction posters by my gravel digging area and a digger themed number line but I have never seen the children using it or looking at it independently.

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

don't worry too much, my inspector doesn't give minders outstanding and unless there is a legal requirement not in place such as first aid, she has about four things she will find and two will be written as things to improve on. I already knew this and knew what grade I would get. She is doing lots of minders in my area so i know how theirs went and what they do etc, as well as from reading reports.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great news , I expect you are very glad it's over!
    About the outdoor print : you may remember that I didn't have any , but having an opinion on this, I actually highlighted this and pointed out all the ways I promote print in our environment and it wasn't mentioned again. I suspect that because you were unable to talk to her as you were out and she in she didn't get any information about how else you promote it in your setting.
    The problem you do have though is that you can't ignore it now , it's in as a development point as at your next OFSTED the inspector will start with finding evidence that you have achieved the development points recommended in your previous ofsted report.
    I totally disagree with the suggestion that an inspector does not give an outstanding grade unless there is a legality to do so. She/ he should be reported if you have evidence that she has said this! It could be that she genuinely hasn't seen outstanding practise in your area. There has been a huge amount of outstanding grades given in the last couple of years, because a lot of childminders are working really hard to improve their practise and therefore outcomes of the children we care for.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Great news , I expect you are very glad it's over!
    About the outdoor print : you may remember that I didn't have any , but having an opinion on this, I actually highlighted this and pointed out all the ways I promote print in our environment and it wasn't mentioned again. I suspect that because you were unable to talk to her as you were out and she in she didn't get any information about how else you promote it in your setting.
    The problem you do have though is that you can't ignore it now , it's in as a development point as at your next OFSTED the inspector will start with finding evidence that you have achieved the development points recommended in your previous ofsted report.
    I totally disagree with the suggestion that an inspector does not give an outstanding grade unless there is a legality to do so. She/ he should be reported if you have evidence that she has said this! It could be that she genuinely hasn't seen outstanding practise in your area. There has been a huge amount of outstanding grades given in the last couple of years, because a lot of childminders are working really hard to improve their practise and therefore outcomes of the children we care for.
    She has had some complaints -I don't know the outcome-and she has said things to others that imply she favours nurseries and not minders etc, and her reaction to me questioning about the print outdoors thing and saying that I can cover the area without having print stuck up etc said it all. She could have asked me before she finished-i thought i had thought of everything to tell her and my fault for not pre empting that one.
    I am not bothered as I am happy with my grading and parents don't care what grade we have. Apparantly the reports are now shorted because they are one for the parents benefit and in a survey parents said they don't read them lol.
    There is still the issue of different inspectors doing things in different ways,its a short visit to cover so much. I wasnt asked many questions but then I did leave as much info out as i could to help with that. My error was that the area where I would take books outside i hadnt written anywhere that I do that sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

She has had some complaints -I don't know the outcome-and she has said things to others that imply she favours nurseries and not minders etc, and her reaction to me questioning about the print outdoors thing and saying that I can cover the area without having print stuck up etc said it all. She could have asked me before she finished-i thought i had thought of everything to tell her and my fault for not pre empting that one. I am not bothered as I am happy with my grading and parents don't care what grade we have. Apparantly the reports are now shorted because they are one for the parents benefit and in a survey parents said they don't read them lol. There is still the issue of different inspectors doing things in different ways,its a short visit to cover so much. I wasnt asked many questions but then I did leave as much info out as i could to help with that. My error was that the area where I would take books outside i hadnt written anywhere that I do that sometimes.
    Did you provide any photographic evidence of stuff you do vals or write it in a SEF, I wonder if that would have helped or whether she favours nurseries or something and would have ignored that evidence anyway?

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I had most of the evidence she would have needed,just forgot to include books outside in my photos lol as if it makes the slightest difference to a child. But that's my error,I knew they only judge on what they can see and i thought i had all basses covered but forgot that one thing.
    Overall its fine as the grade isn't an issue, its just frustrating the way they do things and reading others reports a lot of people get critisiced for the things they prob do but didnt show on the day
    Hope others fine it helpful to know that you reeally have to tell them everything cos they won't ask,so if you forget, its too late.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I have been emailed the report already. Its not exactly as she said and there is error about what the children did in the garden but it doesn't matter (they kicked balls through hoops - they actually used the basketball hoop and threw the balls). But it reads far better than some of her other reports and feels very personal in a nice way so that's fab.
    The things to improve on are more or less what she said and one of them then contradicts itself as it says I don't do something then in the first bit says I do it. So I am more than happy with what she wrote as previously I have had much less written about the actual day.
    So that's me for another 5 years lol.

28. Likes hectors house liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast