Just what I need right now... An Inspection :(
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just what I need right now... An Inspection :(

So, as some of you know, this past couple of months has been particularly hard. Now to top it off I have had a call from Ofsted to tell me I am going to be inspected, but in light of the current circumstances she has actually told me the day and time, just in case I need to cancel (we are looking at days now)

I have gone through my paperwork, which was all up to date anyway. All my attendances registers are complete, all policies and procedures are up to date. Risk Assessments are all still current and valid. I have my first aid and safeguarding Certificates. My registration and insurance certificate and parent poster are displayed. I have a scrapbook for my children and al up to date observations and termly assessments. I have up to date (flexible) planning.

I had my DO come out to visit quite a while ago and she suggested that I up date my toy boxes to include mark making and reading, such as my doctors box has toy doctor things, real life bandages and slings, a note book for "prescriptions" and 2 books one about people who help us and a Topsy and Tim, so they have a range of things.

Mrs O. did say that the inspections are different from when I had my last one in 2011... Can anyone give me any tips. Right now, I just want to make sure I have everything covered, I don't have the physical or mental energy to be trying to strive for greatness right now!

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

What do they want now - blood? Do they think we do nothing all day and obviously we don't have a life outside childminding. I just wish the powers that be would realise that we don't live in a perfect world where we can cover absolutely everything the little darlings need when they come to spend time with us. Sorry but it does make my blood boil! You sound like you have everything you need so good luck.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be spend as much time as you can on your SEF and my inspector said that she could see that all the outings, activities and learning experiences I mentioned in mine were true as I also had photos of the children taking part in them on a USB stick in digital photo frame. Good luck, just relax and be yourself, challenge them if you don't agree with something they have raised.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    My advice would be spend as much time as you can on your SEF and my inspector said that she could see that all the outings, activities and learning experiences I mentioned in mine were true as I also had photos of the children taking part in them on a USB stick in digital photo frame. Good luck, just relax and be yourself, challenge them if you don't agree with something they have raised.
    I haven't done a SEF. I have literally gone through the EYFS from cover to cover, several times, with a highlighter and pen. I have made notes and made sure I have everything in place that is stated on the EYFS. I just don't have the head space to be going over or beyond right now. I have explained this on the phone and she was really lovely about it.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had photos of children playing on a slideshow on my TV- things that I knew I couldn't show 100% on the day - as hectors house says it shows your day to day practise and is as good as a SEF . She kept glancing at it, and occasionally asked me a question about the learning she saw.
    You do need to show continually self reflection, not sure about not having anything written down, but you can show it on the day.
    It sounds like your inspector is going to be sympathetic, but she still has to assess under the evaluation schedule, unfortunately you don't get personal circumstances allowances - the main focus now is what you teach and how you can see the children are learning so it's all about the teaching not the paperwork as such. When she is there chat to her about other things that you might have put in a sef, show her you are self reflective, what you have changed in the light of...etc, this activity is out today because last week when we...some training/ research/ reading I recently did made me think and I decided .....

You know your EYFS, you sound like you have addressed your previous development points ( my inspector said that a couple of times in the day- "if you had had an inspection before my main focus would have been looking for how you have achieved the recommended development areas"), you keep all your paperwork up to date, your parent reviews will probably refer to this, sounds like your ready Emma!

Good luck.

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    So, as some of you know, this past couple of months has been particularly hard. Now to top it off I have had a call from Ofsted to tell me I am going to be inspected, but in light of the current circumstances she has actually told me the day and time, just in case I need to cancel (we are looking at days now) I have gone through my paperwork, which was all up to date anyway. All my attendances registers are complete, all policies and procedures are up to date. Risk Assessments are all still current and valid. I have my first aid and safeguarding Certificates. My registration and insurance certificate and parent poster are displayed. I have a scrapbook for my children and al up to date observations and termly assessments. I have up to date (flexible) planning. I had my DO come out to visit quite a while ago and she suggested that I up date my toy boxes to include mark making and reading, such as my doctors box has toy doctor things, real life bandages and slings, a note book for "prescriptions" and 2 books one about people who help us and a Topsy and Tim, so they have a range of things. Mrs O. did say that the inspections are different from when I had my last one in 2011... Can anyone give me any tips. Right now, I just want to make sure I have everything covered, I don't have the physical or mental energy to be trying to strive for greatness right now!
    Good luck, you'll be great im sure :-) It sounds like you know what you're doing :-)
    Keep us posted, dyou know when it will be?
    X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Emma. x

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspection has now been cancelled due to personal family circumstances

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hugs, Emma. Are you ok?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That must be a relief, I am glad Ofsted can show some compassion sometimes. Take care x

Post Thanks / Like

Good! Would have been the last thing you needed right now.

Look after yourself

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!