Waiting for my ofsted registration visit.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Waiting for my ofsted registration visit.

Hello all, I'm after a little advice, I came across this great site when studying my childminders courses, I signed up today as I'm close to registering and I'm a bit confused.
    I'm obviously not childminding yet, as I'm not registered, I have all my policies, risk assessments and first aid kits, my house is very child proof.
    What paperwork will I need to offer them, planning, I haven't done yet as I've no children to mind, observations again I've nothing.
    I have printed off the sef to complete and I've typed up parent information booklets I have business cards I've got quotes for home and car insurance for once I'm registered..
    Please help, I know they will want to see I'm aware if the eyfs and safeguarding, but how will I show this..

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They do not want to see planning or observations, but might ask 'how you will check progress of children' or 'how you will assess how they are learning' etc.

They will check your knowledge of EYFS and Safeguarding by asking the questions from your Pre-Reg booklet, the literally may ask you the questions straight from that booklet- so make sure you prepare answers to them all and are clear what they are all about. You can refer to your notes- it is not a memory test.

Good luck, they want to register you and are there to help, it is not an 'inspection' it is making sure you are suitable to be a CMer.

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply, I have printed off the pre reg booklet, and I am stuck on question 1!
    I cant believe my brain and frozen. Maybe I should take this as a sign I am currently not ready!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Go back to your training notes! You should find the information there

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 1 about activities for the areas of learning took me ages to answer, and a lot of research online!
    I went to the eye/dm document, looked at each area of learning, thought of something both a baby and 4 year old could do that would cover it eg Maths baking cookies, uses numbers weighing etc, also cutting shapes, little one could play with the dough like playdough help them roll and cut shapes, 4 year old do all the helping weigh etc. also covers PD ( motor skills), C&L introducing new words as you talk about it, understanding and listening to instructions, lit reading recipe/spotting letters or words (4 year old), UTW cooking, EAD being creative (older kids often want to make their own thing for cookies, last time I did cookies they made squid cookies!) and exploring new textures/materials for the baby.
    Before I started I was thinking of activities that covered an area, and found they often covered lots of areas, now in practise I plan an activity a child will like, then link it to areas when I write it up and usually it covers several areas. If I felt a child was a bit behind in one area I'd deliberately plan more activities that would encourage development in that area.
    Don't know if this is the right answer but the ofsted inspector was happy with my response and I got a good grade so must have been kind of right!
    Hard to know what they want to hear, as she never said it was right or wrong, just wrote it all down as I said it all! I had a list of activities, she was fine me reading it off the list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Question 1 about activities for the areas of learning took me ages to answer, and a lot of research online! I went to the eye/dm document, looked at each area of learning, thought of something both a baby and 4 year old could do that would cover it eg Maths baking cookies, uses numbers weighing etc, also cutting shapes, little one could play with the dough like playdough help them roll and cut shapes, 4 year old do all the helping weigh etc. also covers PD ( motor skills), C&L introducing new words as you talk about it, understanding and listening to instructions, lit reading recipe/spotting letters or words (4 year old), UTW cooking, EAD being creative (older kids often want to make their own thing for cookies, last time I did cookies they made squid cookies!) and exploring new textures/materials for the baby. Before I started I was thinking of activities that covered an area, and found they often covered lots of areas, now in practise I plan an activity a child will like, then link it to areas when I write it up and usually it covers several areas. If I felt a child was a bit behind in one area I'd deliberately plan more activities that would encourage development in that area. Don't know if this is the right answer but the ofsted inspector was happy with my response and I got a good grade so must have been kind of right! Hard to know what they want to hear, as she never said it was right or wrong, just wrote it all down as I said it all! I had a list of activities, she was fine me reading it off the list
    I know I didn't ask the original question but just wanted to thank you for giving detailed help to others, it really helps us newbies out. Sometimes it just takes someone to set us off on the right track :-)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I was helped by asking the same sort of question of childminder friends, it was so hard as you're not doing the activities, trying to think of specific ones, also I used the free resources on this site, there's some ideas on there to start you off too.
    Once you get started and into the swing of it I find it so much easier to link it all, I never link to specific statements in the eyo, just an area of learning and a couple of words to show how, now I just think of fun activities and outings, take a couple of photos while they're doing it then write in learning journey what they're doing and areas of learning covered, I'm lucky all the kids I mind are in the correct or higher age brackets so don't feel I have to specifically work on an area, we cover all areas in day to day outings and activities and tracking them every 6 months against eyo and its so clear they're progressing fine.
    Good luck for it all you'll be fine, write everything down and have your notes to hand

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, its great news that you've got your reg visit soon, Im quite a bit away really, im just doing the new CACHE level 3 award, ive sent off for the DBS and that's it. When you have your pre-reg do you know if you have to show them any toys or resources, or can you just buy these later if they register you.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    Hi, its great news that you've got your reg visit soon, Im quite a bit away really, im just doing the new CACHE level 3 award, ive sent off for the DBS and that's it. When you have your pre-reg do you know if you have to show them any toys or resources, or can you just buy these later if they register you.
    No, no toys needed. Just safety things to show your home is safe. You do not know what ages you will be minding so no point buying much stuff. You need to know what kind of resources/activities you will need for different ages (that is covered in the pre-reg booklet you will fill in)

Pre_reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    No, no toys needed. Just safety things to show your home is safe. You do not know what ages you will be minding so no point buying much stuff. You need to know what kind of resources/activities you will need for different ages (that is covered in the pre-reg booklet you will fill in)
    Hi I'm just trying to get started on cm and see you talking about the preregistration booklet where would I find this please? Also any info you could share with me would be gratefully received. So far I have booked my pediatric first aid course and done a safeguarding level course. I'm a person that worries about everything lol please can anyone help? Sorry to steal your thread xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnybirduk View Post
    Hi I'm just trying to get started on cm and see you talking about the preregistration booklet where would I find this please? Also any info you could share with me would be gratefully received. So far I have booked my pediatric first aid course and done a safeguarding level course. I'm a person that worries about everything lol please can anyone help? Sorry to steal your thread xx
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...stration-visit

and lots of links to follow here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-childmin...dcare-provider