Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - Nap time arrangements

Hello, I need some advice. I have a 9 month old son, and will be looking after a 16 month old. Is it OK to leave the 16 month old in the sitting room, while I take my son to his cot for his nap, or would I need to take the 16 month up with me? The 16 month old does not walk so I wont be able to take them at the same time. I can fully hear what is happening in the sitting room from the upstairs bedroom. I would appreciate any advice.

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help - Nap time arrangements

I would pop him somewhere safe like the high chair, travel cot or buggy with a toy same as when you have to pop to the loo. As long as he is safe and occupied for a couple of minutes then it should be fine.
    Annie x

Post Thanks / Like

I work on the lines that children are within my sight and/or hearing all the time. But I agree with Annie, because of the child's age, I would make sure he was safe too if you have to leave the room

Miffy xx

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I look after two 20 month olds (one is my son) and I don't leave them in the play room unattended as there is a sofa and dining room table and chairs which they can climb on and therefore fall off. I have a play pen which I sometimes put them in or I leave one in the hallway when taking the other one upstairs. They can't get into much trouble in the hallway and tend to stand at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me.
    Mrs.M x

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

normally it is fine to leave the child in a playpen etc but if the inspector is there don't whatever you do leave the child alone in the room with them, just for that day I would take them with you

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, thanks for your help. I'm still not sure what to do I don't have a play pen, and a childminder friend got pulled up by ofsted or putting a child in the highchair while she put the little one to bed. I guess I could take the mindee upstiars, but I can't carry them both!

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

did the ofsted inspector tell your friend what to do instead??
    Nicole xx

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The inspector told her that a child should not be left unsupervised in a highchair (2 year old) and that she should of taken him upstairs with her. I suppose this is fine, but, I have two that don't walk, and unfortunately I only have one pair of hands! I suppose I could run up with one, then run back down to get the other one. But then the mindee would be noisy and I would never get my son to sleep, I don't know what to do for the best. What do you do when you need the loo? Surely you don't have to take all the kids to the bathroom with you? I am sooooo confused, I don't know what to do for the best!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    MET
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you maybe borrow a playpen or travel cot, or maybe get your son to sleep in the pram.
    Charlotte
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a travel cot.... could you beg, borrow or steal one of these there,

should be question mark after this but my key board all of a sudden has gremlins and won't do as it's told

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a cheap and cheerful travel cot / playpen from Argos - it keeps baby safe while I nip to the loo or if the other children have an emergency and need me elsewhere for a moment. Also keeps him out of the way while I'm cooking as it can be a worry not being able to see him or him crawling in the way and me tripping over him.

I'm not sure I could manage without my travel cot tbh... can you borrow one?

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnev707 View Post
    I use a cheap and cheerful travel cot / playpen from Argos - it keeps baby safe while I nip to the loo or if the other children have an emergency and need me elsewhere for a moment. Also keeps him out of the way while I'm cooking as it can be a worry not being able to see him or him crawling in the way and me tripping over him.

I'm not sure I could manage without my travel cot tbh... can you borrow one?
    Same here we were only saying(dh) and me its the best thing weve ever bought, id invest in one, i paid £30 ebay excellent condition x

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look on e-bay see what I can find. The only thing that puts me off using a travel cot is they are so big, and it takes us so much space in the sitting room. But I could always put it down when it is not in use.

Jun 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, been on e-bay and had a quick look around some other sites. Nothing on E-bay for pick up, so I have bought a new one, for £30 including delivery, being delivered on Monday......That's a weight off my mind, although I am kind of wondering if I will ever make a profit out of childminding, i seem to be forever spending money at the moment, but I am just starting out, so hopefully it will get better.
    Thanks everyone for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Pleased you got it sorted - sure you will get a lot of use from it

Miffy xx