Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ofsted inspection advice 10.2014 - Cheshire

Inspection advice shared by a member - thank you and congratulations!!

Ofsted inspection: Cheshire area.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND EACH INSPECTOR IS DIFFERENT, AND ALTHOUGH THEY FOLLOW THE EVALUATION INSPECTION BOOKLET, THEY WILL HAVE DIFFERENT VALUES AND OPINIONS.

This is only a single inspection, after a gap of nearly 6 years, so please only take pointers that may be useful to you. Not every inspection will be like this.

Mobile number rang (unknown), and inspector introduced themselves.

After a bit of small talk, inspector told me a day and time they would arrive, I asked inspector what they would like and I could get it ready, inspector asked for:
    • All CRB’s for those in my house.
    • 1st Aid certificate
    • Public Liability certificate
    • Ofsted certificate
    • Register of children on books e;g : Name of child/Date of birth/date started in setting/date ended.
    • Complaints/compliments (folder)
    • Any outside professionals communication (evidence), preschool, local development/network coordinator, health visitor, etc.
    • Didn’t want to see policies folder, although I did have it ready, inspector said she would ask me questions.
    • Observations, learning and development summaries/tracker (folder) of a child.

After phone call I had a few days so rang all parents asked for feedback, checked all signatures up to date etc. asked parents to pre-warn children that there would be a lady called xxxxxx coming to my house and she would be checking I am doing all the things I should be and that she might want to ask children questions.

On day of inspection: 1 x year 2 child, and 2 x 2.5 yr old children. All went to the door and welcomed inspector in, after id checked. Inspector sat on a child’s chair, in view, and watched me just carry on with my day…

Children had cars, trains, pottered with different resources, chatting to each other, inspector watched, observed took notes, asked few questions to me, and year 2 child. after 45 mins of free choice play we did some craft, gluing and cutting. Inspector came and watched/ observed us all, lots of communication went on, open ended questions me to child, giving them choice, of gluing and adding tissue papers, or stickers.. etc.

Then after about 30 mins snack, toilet calls, washed hands, gave children own fruit and said if they need me to help.. eg: opening a banana. 2 managed independently, 1 needed help, inspector had coffee and asked few questions, such as what would I do if a complaint against me and a safeguarding issue, so I answered as best I could.

After snack 1 grumpy toddler so put in pushchair for sleep, then a toddler and the year 2 child left playing. Inspector used this opportunity to ask about communication with other settings. I explained not all schools will work with us minders, as they don’t see us as professionals, I have a good network, good colleagues and I know where to go for help, support, and advice.

Inspector when observing 2 children asked me to observe with her, and asked what did I think child a got out of it, to which I answered what I thought - inspector is from a reception teaching background, so gave me some pointers. Also when doing craft and I was pronouncing words, she did say about using phonics, but this was her teaching background and was just advice.

Child a got collected inspector spoke to parent, child b still asleep, so year 2 child was happily reading.

Inspector went through her report asked me what I thought, mentioned my sef, and how much info was put into it and she could see from my setting that what I put in my sef is how I run my practice. Also I showed her 2 x 2yr progress checks, 2 children not much age gap and was amazed at the difference, impressed with the progress check report and how I covered extra 4 areas not just the 3 prime. She did ask what I would do if a child wasn’t meeting milestones/targets, to which I replied share with parents, offer leaflets/pamphlets, make notes etc, and go from there.

Inspector had a brief look round, mentioned layout of room good, visual communication was good, signs etc. I did need mark making material outside, although there already was and she hadn’t spotted.. I have numbers outside but needed alphabet etc. I suggested I take books and an alphabet rug out when we go.

I did suggest to the children “why don’t you ask xxx (inspector) if they would like to join us, or if they would like a drink? I did go to the toilet myself, I just said I am just nipping to the toilet, I can hear the children are you ok with this, and inspector was good.

Last half hour inspector had a chat overall and asked me what I thought in my setting would I see as a recommendation, (I took this as a self reflection question), so I suggested working with schools, but it wouldn’t be fair as a recommendation as when you read it in a report it looks as though I am not working with others, but it is actually the other way round.

So I then suggested the only negative inspector mentioned throughout visit was my outdoor visual displays. I got a good with outstanding areas, inspector mentioned report has to be typed up sent to be quality assured, and although she put some parental feedback in, whoever QAs it can easily take the comments out and can ask the inspector to reword the report, before it gets sent to us.

Inspectors also get inspected and they have to put in what they see on visit, whilst also looking at the evaluation for inspector’s document that she went through to grade me.

On departure, I thanked inspector for coming to my setting, the children said bye.

All I can suggest is:
    Be yourself,
    Be welcoming and friendly,
    Be open and honest, if you are not sure, it’s not the end of the world
    Relax, inspector will ask and advice, they are there to help and get the best out of you.
    Be chatty,
    Let children do things for themselves
    Ask open ended questions;
    Give them choices, bricks or lego, glue or sellotape etc.
    Try and prepare everything the evening before.

Remember they are only human and they are following instructions from above them. They will have their own views but respect them for that.

I did say thank you for your input and advice with your background teaching, I will take it on board. She really liked that.

Hope this is useful and reassures you.

2. Likes Rick, angeldelight, cherry, jan, tas, Tulip, mum67 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback

Well done xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Brill feedback - thanks for sharing xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for feedback and really well done, sounds like you had a lovely inspector and a good experience on inspection day. Have got mine next week - 5 1/2 years since last one, have made note of your comments and am going to sort out my paperwork folders tomorrow to make sure everything is easy to find! Have also seen recently that people were asked for ICO certificate and car insurance so need to find those just in case too.

Don't see the point in Good with Outstanding qualities - think they should introduce a new grading of "Very Good"

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing, great feed back!