Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default About ready to throw in the towel

Hi all,

I'm after some help, I was wondering if there is anyone who offers or would be prepared to offer a mentoring service.

I have been going through the process of becoming a childminder for nearly a year now and for a number of reasons have hit quite a few obstacles (some in my own mind) and have found the whole process quite daunting. I set out to do the job because I love children and as mine are all growing and are all at school full time thought I could combine looking after children and working into a happy union. Now I feel that it is maybe not for me because of all the Ofsted requirements not because I no longer want to look after children. The whole thing is frustrating me and scaring me out of doing something I think I would actually find gratifying.

I thought today that maybe I would achieve my aim if I could work alongside someone or have a mentor Ie someone who has successfully battled their way through all that is required and is now running their own business.

It would be great to hear from anyone who may be able to help me.

Emma

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bless ya it is blooming hardwork keeping up to date with the paperwork and changes that get made but enjoying the children makes it worthwhile well sometimes lol xx if u can when u get started try and get into a routine with paperwork from the start, failing that do what I do and don't work a day in the week . X
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

3. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi mummyemma,

It is daunting! (and I've found it quite frustrating!!)

I had my pre-regvisit yesterday and it's such a good feeling to know I've done it. I'm now feeling like I can get properly started- e.g. make decisions about food, working hours etc.

I can really recommend reading the guides on childcare.co.uk (it is worth paying for). The 'Time management and organisation' guide has been particularly helpful.

There are lots of lovely people on this forum who offer support and advice.

Where are you geographically? There might be someone who is close by.

Hope you start to find it a more positive experience soon

5. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey mummyemma! Don't give up. I've been registered since 25th July and there is so much I'm still learning. This forum is fab and ive learnt such a lot. I had childminding matters visit twice first time was not at all helpful but the second time I had a different lady and she was very reassuring. Google is helpful for finding ideas for activities, as is Pinterest and I've paid for childminding.co.uk . I've printed of a lot from this forum as well and asked questions of members. If you'd like to msg me pls do x Toni. Xxx

7. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi mummyemma,

What is it that overwhelms you about the paperwork, is it all of it or certain bits?
    When I was in pre reg I sometimes felt like that but kept reminding myself I have brought up my own children and done all this with them only not wrote it down. So with that knew I was capable practically.

The obs and planning worried me a little but I thought it's new to me so I will get on with it and take on board any feed back from Ofsted or anyone to improve it if necessary.

The P&P's took a while to get my head around (wording them to my setting etc).

The RA not too bad really, all common sense in them really.

If putting files together worry you then you will get the absolute best advice on here, do a file at a time rather than trying to keep up with everything. Only download and print off what you actually need now for Ofsted & the EYFS, you can get everything else later on.

Take a breath, make a brew, sit down and list what you need to do that is important and you must have. Then get on here and start putting it together one day at a time. The only mentor you need is on here it's the forum and free resources and of course your own motivation to research what you need.

Once I got one file in order doing it this way the rest fell into place, I think you are doing what I did and trying to do everything in a day.

Where are you up to now with everything, are you registered or in the process? Do you have any paperwork at all? DBS, medical checks?

List on here what you have done and where you are up to and we may be ale to offer more or better advice for you. At the minute your post is a bit vague on how far or not you are in the process.

I think we have all at some point wanted to give up before actually getting started and some who have been childminders for years get fed up with all the paperwork and red tape and think about giving up also so it's not just you.

There's everything you need on this website, the administrators and a lot of members spend hours and weeks trudging through red tape documents, uploading info sheets, and sample paperwork etc to give us the best and correct advice to make it much easier for us and to keep us all independent.

I must add if it wasn't for this site and the forum members I would have been lost and not know half of what I do now, it gave me the confidence to try my own designs of paperwork and make my business look more professional than I could have done alone.

Get your list done and see if we can help you more.
    Last edited by mum67; 10-09-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Hi mummyemma,

It is daunting! (and I've found it quite frustrating!!)

I had my pre-regvisit yesterday and it's such a good feeling to know I've done it. I'm now feeling like I can get properly started- e.g. make decisions about food, working hours etc.

I can really recommend reading the guides on childcare.co.uk (it is worth paying for). The 'Time management and organisation' guide has been particularly helpful.

There are lots of lovely people on this forum who offer support and advice.

Where are you geographically? There might be someone who is close by.

Hope you start to find it a more positive experience soon

Lal I agree once you know your registered your mind goes on over drive to build your business.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pre-reg and nearly approaching a full year of waiting to get registered. i have also had many, many obstacles (broken immersion heater equalling no hot water, no internet, broken printer just a few silly things that have delayed me) and a lot of me delaying myself, worrying about the flat not looking nice enough so starting loads of DIY, stressing about the paperwork not being good enough so starting and restarting it over and over..

Sometimes it feels like someone is out to stop me from doing it. Problem is, I am too stubborn!! I won't give up unless Ofsted refuse me. I do think sometimes it would have been easier to pursue a shop job or a careworker job, I wouldn't need to be so OCD about keeping my home clean, I wouldn't need a play room so could have another baby now instead of several years down the line... But I feel so passionate about looking after kids, like you do, and think I would be quite good at it once the ball is rolling and I can actually do the job instead of all this strenuous "pre reg" stuff. Why do a job for money when you can do something you love? Yes, it is stressful and hardwork and I am a world class procrastinator... But it will be worth it in the end xx

11. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Tabby tu tu

I felt like you so many times during pre reg and after, I think it is a lot to do with being self employed and having to make it work for ourselves and our families that has a lot to do with it and we blame Ofsted for all of it. But if you look at things in reality we have it all here on the forum, we just have to put it into practice. I have been helping a friend who is returning to childminding get her files in order and her home and garden and it is so strange to watch her because it was me a couple of months ago (never did I think I could help somebody get on track). Paperwork overflowing from umpteemth boxes, not a clue what it was for or where to put it. Printing anything and everything not even sure I needed it and cleaning until my kids were sick to death of me - apparently I was only short of taking the plate from under them to wash it before they had even started to eat -

Then I put a plan in place, a file a day to get in order, a room a day to get in order and I alternated them so I didn't feel bogged down with one or the other and now I only have to do the garden.
    The garden is huge and I have so many ideas for it but had to stop and think practically again before I got in a tis, a space a day or every other day if I felt like it.

Like everyone says on here most of what we do is ongoing and work in progress so why do we think we should have it all perfect for Ofsted. We don't we just have to have it safe, clean, know our safeguarding and EYFS and policies in place (in our head or on paper) and risk assess to keep us all safe and healthy.
    I panicked too much and I see a lot of it in others. We will get there eventually, together with the forum and will have our sanity at the end of it.
    So relax, take one day at a time and just do what is physically and mentally right for you nobody else.
    All the best

13. Likes TabbyTuTu, ajlurway liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any childminders nearby where you live? Maybe you could get together and they could help you/help each other. It can be a lonely job sometimes (one of the benefits is this forum though)always better to ask for help then sit at home worrying.

15. Likes carol cameron, mum67, TabbyTuTu liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how you are getting on mummyemma, have you got your head around things yet?

Aug 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow

Wow, and thanks so much for the replies. I feel awful that so many replied with real support and I have only just read the messages (was in the mind set that no one would actually read or care). Another set back has been a total melt down of all technology in this house. Thankfully I printed all my course work one night and the following day the hard drive on that lap top decided to give up,then another lap top developed problems with its driver and updates and the ability to connect to our wifi, toping it off with a printer that won't print .

Anyway that out the way, I just thought I'd look at the forum for a burst of umph reading others issues and noticed my post, reading that really everyone goes through doubt has made me feel much better,thanks again to all of you. I am typing this on my iPhone and that's a bit tricky so I think I'll try again tomoz from the library. I will come up with a sensible list of questions and explanation of what stage Im at.

I will beat the beast in the end. !!

Emma

Aug 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default where im at.

Good morning,

so laptop now connected to the internet via old school method Ethernet cable, no mod wifi in this house !! anyway it works so all's good for now on that front.

As I said late last night it was great to read through the replies I received and reassuring to note that I am not the only one to ever doubt myself. Basically the message was clear in all the replies that it is important to take one step at a time and not think you can solve all issues at once. so of course this morning I started to worry about pacey/Morton Michele and got into a flat panic about allsorts having visited the pacey web site. Deep breath and count to 10, decided to come back hear and get it out my head.

My story is (ill try not to bores you) is that I have always loved little people and thought seeing as mine are growing and all at school I would become a childminder. My partner and I have 6 children between us, so decided I could combine my time and work from home.

I have completed the cypop5 (and have my Cert)
    I have completed my first aid (and have Cert)
    I have completed my DBS (twice GRRR, I have my cert but waiting for OH)
    I have registered with the update service (having learnt my lesson with the first DBS, Hence doing it twice)
    Have done my health declaration and sent it to OFSTED

I think that's it for that side of things, so really apart from not having OH DBS back I'm about ready to put in my online application (I think)

Then there is what paper work I need to have ready for them to see, I have bought some folders to organize things IE; policies, safeguarding, risk assessments. I think some things will come with the membership to either pacey/Morton Michel but I think you can only apply for membership once you are registered !!!

With regard to the house do you have to have everything in place for all eventualities ?! You don't know who your going to be minding yet ?!

So annoyed as I had already typed this message once with a lot more content and thought but it got lost and wouldn't post as said I wasn't logged in any longer GGGRRRRRRRRRR. So seeing as im still sat in my pj's I think ill sign off now and try and achieve a something.

Thanks Emma