Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default feeling a bit deflated with good

Hi had my inspection 2 weeks ago and for the first time haven't got the top grade I got good and was told would of got outstanding if I didn't have 2 further improvements she did say if I just had one may of got outstanding but not with 2

My improvements were I don't speak any Czech (only know 1 word) I do know some polish for polish child but struggled with Czech as she says children should be able to play using home language here he never speaks any Czech here.

Also this boy uses a dummy a lot (2 year old) I know it can delay language he speaks good English but wouldn't say hardly anything whilst she was here and kept getting his dummies (yes he brings several in ) I understand what she is saying others only have dummy here at sleep time but he seems to need his more and always has it at home

So because I cant speak his language and he has dummies I got good sorry about the moan

My report I received today does read good but I do just feel all the hard work I do and extras i get graded as others that don't do half what i do
    It seems to me there's 2 exceptable grades good and outstanding. I know a lot of childminder's with good do a great job and others just tick all the boxes

Hope i haven't offended anyone just letting off a bit i know good is a good grade and i should be happy and i will be I'm sure.

Sorry about the rant
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you didn't get the grade you deserved. I'm still waiting for registration but I have trouble pronouncing some English words what about another language! I'd give it a go but whether or not people would understand what I was on about would be another matter) fighting a losing battle with the dummies too how can a child form the words to speak with a plug in? If they don't have it they wail and if they do they mutter. My grandson was like that until he was nearly 3 and it affected his teeth in the end. Xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No I can see where you are coming from with your moan - I guess it would be the same if I went down from Good to Satisfactory (requires improvement) especially if I felt that I was putting just as much effort or probably more with the constant changes than I had when I got my previous higher grade - especially annoying when it's for things beyond your control or for following a child's choices.

When I read other people's reports I sometimes think, how did they get that when I do all that and far more - a nursery near me hasn't got a proper outdoor space just a completely under covered area - how can they teach about knowledge and understanding of the world when they can't see grass or clouds or sky or mini beasts or experience the weather - I take my mindees out to the woods to lie in the bluebells and stamp in muddy puddles - but the nursery doesn't take them outside at all - but we are both "Good"!

Did you have the same inspector as last time - that may have made a difference as they all seem to have their own "likes and dislikes" and "hoops to jump through".

Don't be too disappointed with your grade - An "outstanding" kindergarten also near me was recently marked down to Satisfactory! They even took out an injunction to stop Ofsted publishing the report whilst they were complaining, but their grade was upheld and the report published.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you feel deflated about your grade. I think it's brilliant that with all the uncertainty and changes you have managed a good grade. They are clearly not "giving them away". Please celebrate all the wonderful good things you do, focus on the positives. Well done you!! X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that.

Sadly, Ofsted seem to follow 'hard and fast rules'. This sort of thing will inevitably backfire. If there's to be an absolute ban on dummies (the childhood equivalent of smoking if you want pariah status ) they're saying we can't make an individual decision on the needs of an individual child, balance the dummy use against the bigger picture and make an informed decision on how/when to stop the dummy use in the long run: so much for 'The Unique Child'.

As for expecting every CM to speak the home language of every child in their care, the inevitable result will be CMs quietly turning away enquiries from families who don't use English as a first language. Sorry, but they can't realistically expect us to be multilingual on less than the minimum wage, or take time out to learn fluency in goD knows how many tongues. It's the Law of Unintended Consequences coming into play, and Ofsted will have brought it about.

Hope you feel better soon.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

Sadly, Ofsted seem to follow 'hard and fast rules'. This sort of thing will inevitably backfire. If there's to be an absolute ban on dummies (the childhood equivalent of smoking if you want pariah status ) they're saying we can't make an individual decision on the needs of an individual child, balance the dummy use against the bigger picture and make an informed decision on how/when to stop the dummy use in the long run: so much for 'The Unique Child'.

As for expecting every CM to speak the home language of every child in their care, the inevitable result will be CMs quietly turning away enquiries from families who don't use English as a first language. Sorry, but they can't realistically expect us to be multilingual on less than the minimum wage, or take time out to learn fluency in goD knows how many tongues. It's the Law of Unintended Consequences coming into play, and Ofsted will have brought it about.

Hope you feel better soon.
    I was thinking the same that soon it will come to childminders refusing to accept children whose family speak another language in case it affects our Ofsted grade - it's a pity that Ofsted can't just accept that the parents made a decision to sent their child to a childminder who speaks English because that's what they want their child to learn. Maybe we should all learn a few words of gibberish and pretend we are speaking to that child in their "own" language and blame our accent on the fact that the child didn't respond! I doubt many inspectors can speak Czech or Polish either.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your disappointment but like others have said I think you deserve a pat on the back for being graded good. I had an inspection a month and a half ago still haven't received my report. The inspection was brought forward due to a complaint ( safeguarding nature ) which I notified Ofsted and LADO and followed my procedures within the time frame ( even though the parent never raised the complaint with Ofsted) I was sick with worry as all the research that I had done suggested that I would be downgraded from my good status. Although I can't yet tell you my grade I'm over the moon

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole point about coming to the UK is to do with learning English. Isn't it? Where did everyone lose the plot? When I was a child living in Switzerland, I had to speak French. No one made allowances for me being 'foreign' and it didn't harm me. I spoke English at home and French outside the home.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should just all learn baby babble apparently this is the same in all languages x

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your supportive replies I suppose if that all they can find wrong then I shouldn't worry the parents don't expect me to learn their language they want their children to learn English at mine which they are very well

My daughter says its putting people of taking on children with English as second language, the 2 I have are lovely children and the families are lovely always full of praise I would never regret having them.
    Angela x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well better get myself to Hungarian, Slovak and Irish Classes quick then!! I could prob brush up on my English as well!!

How ridiculous. I would have asked the Inspector how many languages she spoke because judging you on that basis then all inspectors should be fluent in many languages so they can inspect effectively?

The area I used to live in: Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Somali, Swahili, Mandarin, Japanese, German, French +++ I also had a family who spoke (and still do, I saw them a month ago and have known them for 17 years) Dutch, Danish and English as their main languages they also spoke fairly fluent Italian and French.

Even where I live now I have had French, Spanish, German, Hindi, Slovak, Irish, Gaelic, Polish and at the moment the Hungarian/Slovakian Families.

I don't speak any of the languages fluently some a very little but without exception the parents want me to use English with the children only so they learn it well ready for school. I guess I aught to think about getting a letter from such parents confirming this is what they want me to do.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look after a Russian child had him since he was 6 mths, consulted speech and language therapist as to using his home language and was advised to only speak English to him in my home, mum spoke Russian to him at his home, so as not to confuse him. He's now 13 and fluent in both English, Russian, French and German as he finds all languages fascinating and easy to learn.

July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to look after a Hungarian boy, 2 1/2yrs old. Parent's spoke mostly Hungarian in the house, and despite him being born in the UK, he only knew Hungarian. They put him with me so he could learn English, and boy did he learn fast! I only knew one word in Hungarian and that was wee wee!
    He was like a sponge. At first we were doing lots of pointing, hand gestures, making funny faces, but he picked the language up so quickly. I found it amazing!

I find it wrong that Ofsted have picked you up on this, but well done on getting a good grade x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Im s rewed then. I look after a lo whos parents are greek. They have told me they do not want me to even try to learn their language as they are relying on me to help him with English. They use both languages at home btw x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it interesting. All the parents I have had have asked for English only to be spoken here and the children are the same sponges who have no problem learning 2 or three languages. The Dutch/Danish Couple I had were and are still great friends. We used to have each others children when we worked weekends etc. The two girls grew up speaking Dutch Danish and English. Their mum is a Linguist and Translator and speaks fluent Italian because she was born and grew up in Italy she speaks many other languages. The girls speak fluent Italian, French, German. When the older one had been in High School a year the moved and the girls were put in an International School where they spoke their three basic languages and had lessons in them but also had lessons in French and German. Frankly they put us to shame.

I think I am going to do a letter to my current parents asking them to confirm in writing that they only want English spoken while their son is with me.

17. Likes hectors house liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we could get round this Ofsted created problem by looking in our local libraries for dual language books - we currently have one written in German & English (not that I have German speaking children - we just liked the look of the cover!), that way you could point out that the languages look different - maybe people could persuade parents to occasionally spend a few minutes reading a story in a different language so the other children could hear how another language sounds. (our library has books in English and German/Polish/French/Chinese/Spanish)

Also perhaps the parents could bring a CD of songs sung in their own language - whether it be nursery rhymes, pop music or folk songs. We once borrowed from our library a book called (I think) "Lulu loves books" it also came with a CD of the story in English, Welsh plus about another 5 languages - we learnt that there doesn't seem to be a translation for cappuccino in Welsh - they said coffee!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a number of duel language books and music. I buy the books when I go abroad. I have Elmer in French, The Hungry Caterpillar in German and a book about Dinosaurs in Swedish. It is cheaper to buy them in the various Countries than to buy them here.

20. Likes hectors house, jillplum liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Maybe we could get round this Ofsted created problem by looking in our local libraries for dual language books - we currently have one written in German & English (not that I have German speaking children - we just liked the look of the cover!), that way you could point out that the languages look different - maybe people could persuade parents to occasionally spend a few minutes reading a story in a different language so the other children could hear how another language sounds. (our library has books in English and German/Polish/French/Chinese/Spanish)

Also perhaps the parents could bring a CD of songs sung in their own language - whether it be nursery rhymes, pop music or folk songs. We once borrowed from our library a book called (I think) "Lulu loves books" it also came with a CD of the story in English, Welsh plus about another 5 languages - we learnt that there doesn't seem to be a translation for cappuccino in Welsh - they said coffee!
    I brought books in dual language for both children also several other languages also a lovely nursery rhyme cd in polish cant find any in Czech have asked mum to bring in one never has I even got hold of bookstart and they sent me a couple of books on loan and a pack for each child to keep.
    I have labels in dual languages Ofsted said what the point of that the child are too young to read!!!
    Angela x

22. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Again thanks for all your replies when I get time I will let you know how the whole inspection went
    Angela x

24. Likes Goatgirl, rickysmiths liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angela234 View Post
    Again thanks for all your replies when I get time I will let you know how the whole inspection went
    I have my inspection under the new standards on 17th June. Only lasts about 1.5 - 2 hours and only have one lo that day and they land at 10am.... lo's bed time
    Tess1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast