My 1st inspection - some feedback.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st inspection - some feedback.

Hi ,I thought I would share some things about my first graded inspection that took place today. Hope it helps if your waiting for yours xx

Inspector arrived just after 9 am as one child was arriving. Checked Id and signed her in and child ,did handover and then she spoke to the parent. I locked the door as always do.
    Straight away I knew she was nice and she knew I was nervous and explained everything. My own children and hubby where still there getting ready for a day out and she chatted with them ,totally human and understanding ,very nice lady. If all inspectors were so nice then I'm sure we wouldn't all get so worried. I hardly slept ,obsessed over checking things ten times over ,its so silly but we do put our all into our work don't we , so we want to do well in that very little window where we have the chance to show them. If I knew she would do my next one I wouldn't get so stressed out next time ,honestly wasn't a bad experience at all.

It was free play first ,she wrote notes and told me to get on as normal. Asked questions at times when children were playing nicely so we could talk. Some questions were : safeguarding - policy - procedures to report - signs of abuse - what to do if an allegation is made about child minder.
    Where are my children in their development ,what next steps / activities were planned to support them.
    How I worked with other settings and parents. Settling in etc.

Checked paper work while I was with children ,asked anything she needed to double check.

We went outdoors ,asked what did my children learn out there ( that time ) ,gave suggestions of how I could improve out there - appreciated the ideas ,took note.

Observed snack and hand washing before hand.
    Also checked I did proper nappy changing procedure.

Had play dough out which they usually love but they didn't want to play today. She liked how I adapted to their interest and got out what they wanted and promoted learning as we played. Also one little one was enjoying making sounds on many surfaces etc. I Chose to support that there and then with some musical instruments and singing. They like it if we can show we follow the child's needs and interests so being able to adapt when they don't engage with something they liked to see that I think. Never thought of that,we just do what they like to do ,always worked like that so that's nice to be told doing right thing.

She heard me talking a lot ,asking questions ,modelling sentences and word pronunciation etc. We did a lot of singing as one lo hates nappy changing and needs the distraction. Talked about why we wash hands,germs etc. Safety ,reminding to be careful of steps that kind of thing.
    Showed I promote independence at snack, by cutting own bananas ( only 19 mths old so still learning this skill ) we do this in our routines but they like to see it anyway.

She liked how my books and toys were accessible - enabling environment. Boxes were labelled but never mentioned that ,though she may have noted it down. Said I had good parent relationships ( I do ,all nice ,I'm lucky )

Will see what my report says when it arrives. She did say its not official ( my grade ) until its checked over.

Fingers crossed I get the grade she said I deserve and is recommending I have. It is worrying how one little thing can make all the other strong areas irrelevant and make the overall grade lower. We discussed some areas to develop on ,one being outside area and as I had identified due to not having been set up long I totally agreed and was aware of this anyway but she could see I had started. I found her advice very helpful actually. The other was a little area of the observations ,told me what to do to make it right and said the rest was good.

Main thing is all the rest was just fine. So relieved. Now a little nervously awaiting the report but the main stress is gone ,whoop .

Hope it helps some of you. Probably forgot some things as I'm tired from not sleeping last night.
    Feel free to ask specifics if it will help you ,I don't mind x

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly...well done you for getting through your first inspection with no huge problems!!
    Secondly...I'm sure the grade you were given today will continue onto the written report...fingers crossed it won't be changed.
    Lastly...thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us all

Well done...

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

3. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Keely, well done, so pleased for you. I bet you will sleep well tonight.
    I also got registered this January so getting a bit nervous seeing you have had your inspection.
    Thanks for the feedback, really helpful

5. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow thankyou for sharing so much information! I'm glad it went well for you and I hope you get the grade you want, it sounds like you're doing a fab job! Well done! Xx

7. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many congratulations and thanks for the feed back x

9. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for sharing, it's so helpful, I registered in March so will be making a start on my SEF soon in prep. Well done it sounds like it all went well xx

11. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

13. Likes keely81 liked this post
    aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! It's sounds like it all went v well!

I'm interested to know if newly registered childminders are starting and updating their online SEFs in preparation for their first grades inspection.

Am I write in thinking we can ask the inspector what grade we have been given after each section and we can argue against it on the day?

I'm sure there is a document that refers to this x

15. Likes keely81 liked this post
    1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizP View Post
    Well done! It's sounds like it all went v well!

I'm interested to know if newly registered childminders are starting and updating their online SEFs in preparation for their first grades inspection.

Am I write in thinking we can ask the inspector what grade we have been given after each section and we can argue against it on the day?

I'm sure there is a document that refers to this x

Hi ,with the sef I hadn't uploaded it as problems with password etc. I had done mine using word and printed it off ,still using the headings that Ofsted use. I found Sarah Nevilles e book guidance very helpful to get that completed. The inspector did read it and I do think it saved too many questions for me to answer on the day as it was in the sef.

At the end they feedback to you what they grade you overall and in each area ,so I guess there is the chance there to say actually I can prove otherwise ( if you can back that up ). I agreed with mine though ,no problems. No nit picky things that she came up with like some I have heard of.

Keely x

aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds good!

Well done x

Sep 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Great feedback, thanks - got my 1st inspection this week!

Thanks so much for this, keely, I'm frantically putting everything together for (I think) Friday; I only have one EYFS child atm, and only then for one day a week (plus an hour on two other days, but I don't think this counts too much as it's for nursery run ). I'm concerned I won't have the correct LJ set up & that is my main focus before she comes, so wish me luck, and lots of coffee between now and then!!

Thanks again, that was a timely, and very reassuring bit of feedback

Quote Originally Posted by keely81 View Post
    Hi ,I thought I would share some things about my first graded inspection that took place today. Hope it helps if your waiting for yours xx

Inspector arrived just after 9 am as one child was arriving. Checked Id and signed her in and child ,did handover and then she spoke to the parent. I locked the door as always do.
    Straight away I knew she was nice and she knew I was nervous and explained everything. My own children and hubby where still there getting ready for a day out and she chatted with them ,totally human and understanding ,very nice lady. If all inspectors were so nice then I'm sure we wouldn't all get so worried. I hardly slept ,obsessed over checking things ten times over ,its so silly but we do put our all into our work don't we , so we want to do well in that very little window where we have the chance to show them. If I knew she would do my next one I wouldn't get so stressed out next time ,honestly wasn't a bad experience at all.

It was free play first ,she wrote notes and told me to get on as normal. Asked questions at times when children were playing nicely so we could talk. Some questions were : safeguarding - policy - procedures to report - signs of abuse - what to do if an allegation is made about child minder.
    Where are my children in their development ,what next steps / activities were planned to support them.
    How I worked with other settings and parents. Settling in etc.

Checked paper work while I was with children ,asked anything she needed to double check.

We went outdoors ,asked what did my children learn out there ( that time ) ,gave suggestions of how I could improve out there - appreciated the ideas ,took note.

Observed snack and hand washing before hand.
    Also checked I did proper nappy changing procedure.

Had play dough out which they usually love but they didn't want to play today. She liked how I adapted to their interest and got out what they wanted and promoted learning as we played. Also one little one was enjoying making sounds on many surfaces etc. I Chose to support that there and then with some musical instruments and singing. They like it if we can show we follow the child's needs and interests so being able to adapt when they don't engage with something they liked to see that I think. Never thought of that,we just do what they like to do ,always worked like that so that's nice to be told doing right thing.

She heard me talking a lot ,asking questions ,modelling sentences and word pronunciation etc. We did a lot of singing as one lo hates nappy changing and needs the distraction. Talked about why we wash hands,germs etc. Safety ,reminding to be careful of steps that kind of thing.
    Showed I promote independence at snack, by cutting own bananas ( only 19 mths old so still learning this skill ) we do this in our routines but they like to see it anyway.

She liked how my books and toys were accessible - enabling environment. Boxes were labelled but never mentioned that ,though she may have noted it down. Said I had good parent relationships ( I do ,all nice ,I'm lucky )

Will see what my report says when it arrives. She did say its not official ( my grade ) until its checked over.

Fingers crossed I get the grade she said I deserve and is recommending I have. It is worrying how one little thing can make all the other strong areas irrelevant and make the overall grade lower. We discussed some areas to develop on ,one being outside area and as I had identified due to not having been set up long I totally agreed and was aware of this anyway but she could see I had started. I found her advice very helpful actually. The other was a little area of the observations ,told me what to do to make it right and said the rest was good.

Main thing is all the rest was just fine. So relieved. Now a little nervously awaiting the report but the main stress is gone ,whoop .

Hope it helps some of you. Probably forgot some things as I'm tired from not sleeping last night.
    Feel free to ask specifics if it will help you ,I don't mind x

19. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback thank you for sharing

Glad it went ok

Angel xx

21. Likes keely81 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad it went well xx

23. Likes keely81 liked this post
    1/2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pixies View Post
    Thanks so much for this, keely, I'm frantically putting everything together for (I think) Friday; I only have one EYFS child atm, and only then for one day a week (plus an hour on two other days, but I don't think this counts too much as it's for nursery run ). I'm concerned I won't have the correct LJ set up & that is my main focus before she comes, so wish me luck, and lots of coffee between now and then!!

Thanks again, that was a timely, and very reassuring bit of feedback

You're welcome. Good luck for yours. I looked for as much of these feedbacks as I could when waiting for mine so it's only fair I should share mine x