Inspection feedback - longest 3 hours of my life!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection feedback - longest 3 hours of my life!!!

So it finally happened!
    Had my inspection this week but I was too tired to speak about it, I was like a zombie, I felt like a circus monkey entertaining the inspector.

Luckily she was lovely! She touched my arm and said don't worry as I was literally rattling away!
    She sat down and told me what happens during the inspection and told us to proceed as normal. I had set out all the papers/folders/contract box on the table for her, I had two children that day and both of them are very settled with me.

First of all we just played around, she asked some questions here and there. Whenever I said anything she would type away which I found unnerving! She liked all the LJ's and said they were good, liked all my paperwork.

Had a quick look around the house, checked my fire drill and evacuation papers. Asked for the fire blanket and was shown it. Looked at all my certificates. Checked all my policies but didn't quiz me about any of them. Towards the end she asked what would I do if I suspected a child was being abused, so I told her. Asked how I was planning to further learning for the children in their next steps.

Didn't ask to do a joint observation with me (yay!)but I told her how our water activity tied in with their next steps. She was particulary interested in the planning.

Things that prevented me from getting outstanding:
    1) Not having enough multicultural signs or toys around. I had a black doll, french, spanish and italian books about, as well as hello up downstairs in many different languages. Had a picture up of a girl in a wheelchair.

2) One of the children goes to a childminder 3 days a week, I asked the parent to ask the childminder to send me his LJ, parent said other CM said he doesnt have one just DD. Mrs O said I shoudl give her my assessments and LJ even though he is quite new, or should have rang the other CM.

3) Said it would be nice for me to share in advance with parents what activities we'll be doing, by maybe putting them up on the noticeboard. I said but I do let them know mostly verbally. And she said that's really good but maybe something you can work on.

I made sure to wash all the childrens hands after changing their nappies and before snack/lunch.

She was very complimentary at the end when she gave feedback, I felt really good! It was quite stressful though. So was happy to get a good!

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help!

2. Likes guitarhero liked this post
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot one thing -

One of the things I slipped up on, is the space requirements so be prepared to know exactly how many children you can have!

I said I could have the 6 and my DO said the same, but inspector said I could only have 4!

Simona Guest

Well done you!!! and good to hear that some inspectors are going out of their way to make us feel comfortable

You must feel relieved and over the moon...having a celebratory drink tonight? Cheers to you!

5. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done

9. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Woooo hoooo!! Thanks guys....

Yes I think a celebratory drink or three is in order!

11. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done

What a relief it must be for you

13. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! I'm really pleased for you xx

15. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing and we all know that they have to pick you up on something, so I wouldn't rush out and buy lots more multi cultural resources. A really BIG well done and thank goodness for human inspectors.

17. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done you ...... and breathe

19. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Just sipping some wine now...last child left and I've bundled all the toys in to storage, have a whole weekend free to celebrate

It's all thanks to you guys and this forum, I would be lost without all the kind childminders with experience and the disposition to help

Have a great weekend all!

21. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, and thanks for sharing your experience with us, I've just hit the 3 years since my last inspection so I could get the call although I know some who are 5 years since theirs.

Enjoy your relaxing drink
    Cath

23. Likes unalindura77, Maza liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, well don you. Enjoy your weekend.x

25. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you guys

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Well done you!!! and good to hear that some inspectors are going out of their way to make us feel comfortable

You must feel relieved and over the moon...having a celebratory drink tonight? Cheers to you!
    Simona, I was a tad scared as I had read some of her inspections once I knew her name, saw her giving a lot of inadequates! My DO said 'oh her...yeah she's strict'. When she saw my face she said 'oh but fair too'.

Well she was very friendly, very nice and very human I must say...I was impressed. She accepted a cup of tea from me and said the lunch smelled really nice! We offered her some but she declined. When she gave the feedback she said 'thank you for making this a smooth, enjoyable inspection' (shame I couldn't say the same!!) and said 'next time you can easily be outstanding, just keep doing what you're doing, making the children so happy and helping them develop so well'. I nearly cried!

So there are some nice guys out there...

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done! It's an amazing feeling once the inspector has left! x

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you! Must be such a relief..congratulations! I got the call today and will prob be inspected on Monday...can't wait as want it over with!

30. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you. Sounds like a very positive day.

The only thing I would have had to say was about the Fire Blanket. I wonder what she would have said about me I don't have one now since EYFS 2012 where it says we have to have appropriate things for our homes. I cheered and got rid of the Fire Blanket on my kitchen wall lol! I hated seeing it there, I know have a lovely pottery owl in it's place, I would never have used it because I would have been getting the children out of the house and it scares me that if we have one it is not compulsory that we have to be trained on how to use one the correct way and I would wager that most people don't have a clue and would do more damage to themselves using one than just gettting out and calling the fire brigade. Sorry rant over!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not had my first inspection yet !

Hi, so glad you got a "good" !
    I have been childminding for 9 months now and I love it.
    I find all the paperwork quite heavy going, I care for 5 children over the week, and implement the eyes for a 2 year old who I have 4 full days a week - the others I care for after school and at weekends or nights. (I do have all the paperwork for them - hopefully!)
    My question is - and apologies if it sounds stupid- is what is the learning journal?
    I fill out a daily diary for the 2 year old,carry out obs every 6 weeks,summative assessments,planning sheets,photo folder of activities with links to prime areas and post its as well as filling out a tracker book for the eyfs. So is this a learning journal? Or is that something else?
    Thanks in advance for any replies!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Well done you. Sounds like a very positive day.

The only thing I would have had to say was about the Fire Blanket. I wonder what she would have said about me I don't have one now since EYFS 2012 where it says we have to have appropriate things for our homes. I cheered and got rid of the Fire Blanket on my kitchen wall lol! I hated seeing it there, I know have a lovely pottery owl in it's place, I would never have used it because I would have been getting the children out of the house and it scares me that if we have one it is not compulsory that we have to be trained on how to use one the correct way and I would wager that most people don't have a clue and would do more damage to themselves using one than just gettting out and calling the fire brigade. Sorry rant over!
    I don't have one either. My fire safety officer said they are useless unless used properly and very hard to use properly! He said don't waste time with it, just get out of the house.
    He also said that as I have an aga and no naked flame in the house it was pointless me having one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast