Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default assistants during inspection

Has anyone had an inspection whilst thier other half or assistant is there?

What was it like? My hubby is my assistant but doesn't interact too much with the children as he mainly does the cooking, clearing up etc. And see to our 3 children. No nappy changes at all.

So how would ofsted view this? Also I have a student who shadows and does certain activities like, messy play, reading and helps to feed the babies. Hopefully she will gain more confidence and will be able to do more but at the moment thats where she's at.

Any advice

Dec 13
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that sounds like the perfect situation as your time is entirely on the children whilst hubby sorts the mess out and with regards to the student as long as you have all the required paperwork/ risk assessments and plan some superduper activities Ofsted will have nothing to complain about :-) xx

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry84 View Post
    I think that sounds like the perfect situation as your time is entirely on the children whilst hubby sorts the mess out and with regards to the student as long as you have all the required paperwork/ risk assessments and plan some superduper activities Ofsted will have nothing to complain about :-) xx
    Thank you. He does the morning school run (just our two children) then brings back dd and 2 others from nursery. Other than first aid and permission from parents what else do I need?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Make sure that when he has sole responsibility you have these times on the register or whatever you use.

Both your dh and student will need to know your safeguarding/allergy's/foods/whistle blowing policy.

Appraisals these will need to have been done too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

DH was here as my assistant when I was inspected. Mrs O was watching child play, DH was there interacting and she asked him what child was learning from this activities etc. That was all she asked him directly. I was the main focus of the inspection, DH kept out of the way most of the time and kept an eye on our own son so I could concentrate on mindee and Mrs O!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad this thread has been started as I am wondering if I need to register my DH as an assistant so keen to hear examples of this.
    My DH is retired and so is in our house when LO's are here. He cooks prepares all the food and mends broken toys, but is not left alone with children. He is around and talks to them and plays with them when they involve him but I am there. He sometimes accompanies us on our daily walk to the nature reserve. When we are in the garden we often both plant with the children, and since he made the furniture, this week he painted with us when we painted the new garden fairy furniture.
    He eats his breakfast and lunch with us. He has lots of hobbies and gets on with those on the days *****mind, takes the dog out, shops etc.. So he isn't always here. But sometimes the children just enjoy watching him when he makes his models or works on his photography, one often gets a book and sits next to him when he is reading his book in the living room, so he is a good role model and the first person they mention if new batteries are needed for the remote control car.

He filled in the Ey2 form and has DBS, he is like a grandad figure to the children, but as he has no EY background or knowledge, except for bringing up our children he didn't want to be an assistant and be part of an ofsted inspection.
    As in other posts, I wonder if Ofsted will ask him anything if he is not registered as an asst, or if they may think he should be- though I have read all the paperwork and I can't see why they should?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Glad this thread has been started as I am wondering if I need to register my DH as an assistant so keen to hear examples of this.
    My DH is retired and so is in our house when LO's are here. He cooks prepares all the food and mends broken toys, but is not left alone with children. He is around and talks to them and plays with them when they involve him but I am there. He sometimes accompanies us on our daily walk to the nature reserve. When we are in the garden we often both plant with the children, and since he made the furniture, this week he painted with us when we painted the new garden fairy furniture.
    He eats his breakfast and lunch with us. He has lots of hobbies and gets on with those on the days *****mind, takes the dog out, shops etc.. So he isn't always here. But sometimes the children just enjoy watching him when he makes his models or works on his photography, one often gets a book and sits next to him when he is reading his book in the living room, so he is a good role model and the first person they mention if new batteries are needed for the remote control car.

He filled in the Ey2 form and has DBS, he is like a grandad figure to the children, but as he has no EY background or knowledge, except for bringing up our children he didn't want to be an assistant and be part of an ofsted inspection.
    As in other posts, I wonder if Ofsted will ask him anything if he is not registered as an asst, or if they may think he should be- though I have read all the paperwork and I can't see why they should?
    There is no need for him to be registered as an assistant. I only did it for DH because when I started out I thought it might be handy if he was able to do school run or something, but actually he has never been alone with the children and I have never used him to increase my numbers. There was not much point in me registering him at all, with hindsight I would not have done.

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The main reason I registeted him was because I had two children under 5 when I started and hubby was home as he worked nights. This meant he could care for my two and I could have 3 under 5s. He now continues to do school runs and now nursery runs but other than household chores has no further involvement.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Memina View Post
    The main reason I registeted him was because I had two children under 5 when I started and hubby was home as he worked nights. This meant he could care for my two and I could have 3 under 5s. He now continues to do school runs and now nursery runs but other than household chores has no further involvement.
    But you have increased your numbers so you must treat him as an assistant.

If ofsted come and he is asked questions and he doesn't know the answers you could be marked down for it
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband is Registered as my Assistant. He doesn't 'work' with me and I haven't increased my numbers. He has never been here during a Inspection and nor have Ofsted ever asked about him during an inspection. he is a full time teacher and he is registered, has always had the full 12 First Aid and Safeguarding Training so he can be left with mindees for a short time or if I have over eights in the holidays he will come out with us if I can't fit them all in my car he takes some in his. He does not have any regular day to day contact.

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

would they need a food hygiene certificate if they are preparing all the food??

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No not always it depends on you local Environmental Health Officer. In our area we are not required to have a Food Hygiene Cert.

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of registering and awaiting our pre-reg visit. I am registering with a friend (both as childminders) but we are also having an assistant to cover if we are ever sick or on holiday. She has her DBS back and it's included on both our application forms but does my assistant have to be around for our Ofsted pre-reg??