First Graded Inspection this week!!!! Scared to death!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Graded Inspection this week!!!! Scared to death!!!!

Hi All,

So i had the call on Friday to say i would be inspected this week. To say i am worried is an understatement. Haven't slept since, been up doing paperwork until all hours. Have been expecting it as been registered 6 months at the end of January but seems to be worst timing ever, 1 - Its half term so abit chaotic and i now have to stay in all day until 2pm everyday to see if she comes, which i am not thrilled about as had lots of days out planned and we always go out every morning so won't be a usual day! 2 - I have a 9 month old who started last week who has been quite unsettled as never left mum before so finding it a little difficult to adapt our routine to meet his needs and worried he will just cry and want my attention which means i wont be able to do as much with the two 2 year old i will have!

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. The 9 month old goes to sleep in a pushchair in the hallway as this is what he is used to at home, will this be ok with ofsted? I usually have to rock him for 5 mins. Also once asleep i would usually leave him in the hallway and play with the other children in the play room, is this ok as i can hear if he wakes?

2. I am worried about leaving the children ( they will still be hearing distance) for example if the inspector came whilst they were at the table having snack or lunch am i expected to get them all out of their seats to answer the door. Do i offer the inspector the cup of tea? If so can i leave the children with her whilst i go in the kitchen (mindees don't go in kitchen, stairgate on).

3. I have been so stuck on an activity to do whilst inspector here, i think i have decided to fill the sand table with rice and hide number blocks and shapes in it for the 2 two year olds as we are looking at numbers, shapes and colours at the moment, does this sound ok? Will also put tubs etc in for them to fill - I also thought to extend the play we could fill empty bottles with the rice to male shakers for our singing session as they all love singing and maybe decorate them with stickers? Does this sound ok also?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid, just really doubting myself now, i am useless under pressure and find it so hard to answer questions when under pressure, all i keep thinking about is at my pre-reg visit i couldn't even remember the 7 areas of learning and development as my mind goes blank so completely dreading it. I am going to be so disappointed if it doesn't go well as i feel i offer really good care and learning opportunities to the children just don't know if i will be able to show the inspector that?

I have the following paperwork ready for her. Is there anything i am missing?

- Children's Learning Journeys
    - Folder with contracts, parental responsibility, permission forms and parental questionnaires in
    - SEF
    - All about my childminding folder and parent pack and parents guide to eyfs
    - Safeguarding Record of Concerns
    - Policies and Procedures
    - Risk Assessments
    - Complaints Logbook
    - Fire Safety Checks and Fire Drill Logbook
    - Accident and Incident Book
    - Medication Administered Log Book
    - Copy of All about me booklet

Sorry to go on, any advice would be VERY much appreciated. Praying she comes tomorrow so i can just get it out the way and enjoy the rest of half term!

Thank You, Michelle

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michellem View Post
    Hi All,

So i had the call on Friday to say i would be inspected this week. To say i am worried is an understatement. Haven't slept since, been up doing paperwork until all hours. Have been expecting it as been registered 6 months at the end of January but seems to be worst timing ever, 1 - Its half term so abit chaotic and i now have to stay in all day until 2pm everyday to see if she comes, which i am not thrilled about as had lots of days out planned and we always go out every morning so won't be a usual day! 2 - I have a 9 month old who started last week who has been quite unsettled as never left mum before so finding it a little difficult to adapt our routine to meet his needs and worried he will just cry and want my attention which means i wont be able to do as much with the two 2 year old i will have!

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. The 9 month old goes to sleep in a pushchair in the hallway as this is what he is used to at home, will this be ok with ofsted? I usually have to rock him for 5 mins. Also once asleep i would usually leave him in the hallway and play with the other children in the play room, is this ok as i can hear if he wakes?

2. I am worried about leaving the children ( they will still be hearing distance) for example if the inspector came whilst they were at the table having snack or lunch am i expected to get them all out of their seats to answer the door. Do i offer the inspector the cup of tea? If so can i leave the children with her whilst i go in the kitchen (mindees don't go in kitchen, stairgate on).

3. I have been so stuck on an activity to do whilst inspector here, i think i have decided to fill the sand table with rice and hide number blocks and shapes in it for the 2 two year olds as we are looking at numbers, shapes and colours at the moment, does this sound ok? Will also put tubs etc in for them to fill - I also thought to extend the play we could fill empty bottles with the rice to male shakers for our singing session as they all love singing and maybe decorate them with stickers? Does this sound ok also?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid, just really doubting myself now, i am useless under pressure and find it so hard to answer questions when under pressure, all i keep thinking about is at my pre-reg visit i couldn't even remember the 7 areas of learning and development as my mind goes blank so completely dreading it. I am going to be so disappointed if it doesn't go well as i feel i offer really good care and learning opportunities to the children just don't know if i will be able to show the inspector that?

I have the following paperwork ready for her. Is there anything i am missing?

- Children's Learning Journeys
    - Folder with contracts, parental responsibility, permission forms and parental questionnaires in
    - SEF
    - All about my childminding folder and parent pack and parents guide to eyfs
    - Safeguarding Record of Concerns
    - Policies and Procedures
    - Risk Assessments
    - Complaints Logbook
    - Fire Safety Checks and Fire Drill Logbook
    - Accident and Incident Book
    - Medication Administered Log Book
    - Copy of All about me booklet

Sorry to go on, any advice would be VERY much appreciated. Praying she comes tomorrow so i can just get it out the way and enjoy the rest of half term!

Thank You, Michelle
    To have to stay in until 2pm is extreme- did they really say that? I'd phone back and explain how you need to get the children outdoors and to activities and see if they can narrow down the time slot, or day, a bit.

Baby in buggy for naps is fine- within sight or hearing, check regularly, you can say how you are working with parents as this is what they do and what works for that child.

If inspector calls while you are at lunch table- you could leave note on door saying that there may be a delay in answering the door! I think you'd have to get them down from table- not good to be seen leaving children eating or even just in highchairs unsupervised. It is a bother but unlikely to happen anyway.

Activities sound good but make sure you can link the activities to each child's individual next steps and planning.

And relax! Try to enjoy it, this is your chance to show how fab you are!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moggy,

Thanks for your reply. When the inspector rang and said if she wasn't here by 2pm to assume she wasn't coming, i said that's late and i would have missed all playgroups etc by then she said well it will give you a couple of hours to get them some fresh air before tea time!! The inspector who did my pre-reg visit told me if she does my first graded, if she is not here by 10am to assume she is not coming, this is much more realistic as you then have the day ahead. Also i cannot contact her as she rang me from a withheld number, so no way of getting in touch? I said to her i thought it would be morning time but she said no morning or afternoon.

Both children have continuing to learn numbers and shapes etc in the next steps over the last month, so hopefully this will be ok.

Thanks Again

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to hijack with a question about logbooks, can some be combined, like an accident, incident and medication logbook? Then I have a fire drill logbook, and a complaints logbook. I've got lots of almost blank logbooks, seems a waste... Or do ofsted want them all to be seperate ones?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Just to hijack with a question about logbooks, can some be combined, like an accident, incident and medication logbook? Then I have a fire drill logbook, and a complaints logbook. I've got lots of almost blank logbooks, seems a waste... Or do ofsted want them all to be seperate ones?
    Accident, incident and medication are all in one folder if you buy the Pacey stuff, so that is fine, just divide per child so parent can't see other child's entries when signing.

Fire drill log book and complaints can just be a lined A4 sheet of paper/form each- no need for a whole notebook or folder each. Just as long as they have a place and you can show you know how to log each.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, I think I might just keep a logbook file, with dividers for each type of log required, all these seperate books sitting around, if 1 file is allowed I'll do that.

Might keep the visitors book as a little book as its easier to leave by the door.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone else offer any advice? Only had 1 reply, would be very much appreciated xx

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michellem View Post
    Can anyone else offer any advice? Only had 1 reply, would be very much appreciated xx
    Lots of people responded !

Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your activity and extension ideas sound lovely - relax and enjoy the play with the children. Talk about weight, size, shape, what things feel like etc to extend learning.

Try really hard not to change routines - children react badly to that - just keep things like they normally are and you 'll be fine.

Relax and enjoy it. It's your time to show off and demonstrate how fab you are!