Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Labelling toy boxes and Ofsted

Quite a few childminders have asked me about labelling toy boxes recently - is it a requirement? What should they do if they get it as an action? How can they enhance their provision to make it print rich?

I have written a little blog which I hope inspires!

Sarah's Blog: Labelling toy boxes and Ofsted

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Quite a few childminders have asked me about labelling toy boxes recently - is it a requirement? What should they do if they get it as an action? How can they enhance their provision to make it print rich?

What in your spare time Sarah?! Thank you xx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Sarah.

I have never had labels on toy boxes, but do have most of the things you mention in your blog.

I also have a lovely rug with the alphabet around the edge of it. I bought it because it looked nice and was quite surprised when the children started taking a real interest in the letters.

For people who don't want posters etc on their walls, use doors, or radiators. I have children's pictures and names laminated with magnets stuck on the back. I stick them all to the radiator during the day and pack them away again at night.

4. Likes primula liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks for that Sarah.

I have never had labels on toy boxes, but do have most of the things you mention in your blog.

I also have a lovely rug with the alphabet around the edge of it. I bought it because it looked nice and was quite surprised when the children started taking a real interest in the letters.

For people who don't want posters etc on their walls, use doors, or radiators. I have children's pictures and names laminated with magnets stuck on the back. I stick them all to the radiator during the day and pack them away again at night.
    I saw on here earlier in the week that someone (sorry can't remember who just now) made and laminated some shapes and had them stuck on patio doors with those stucker things with hooks on - I am going to put signs and words up on my patio doors using these. I do have photos and labels on my toy boxes but have had a shuffle around and combined or separated some boxes so must do new photos and labels somewhen!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So many great ideas in there thanks Sarah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Brilliant ideas Sarah

Thanks for sharing

Angel xxx

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet more help for all of us! Thank you Sarah.
    My toy boxes are all clear boxes with the name written in Marker pen on the outside.
    Most of your other ideas I already use, but would like to add one for other people - my los coloured an A4 sized dinner Placemat which I'd prepared with their name in Bubble writing in the middle. I laminate it, and while we get ready for meals or snacks, they get their Placemat and trace over their name with dry wipe pens. 2 snacks and Lunch every day means they practise their name 3 times a day without even thinking about it.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab ideas, thanks Sarah
    Sweetpea x

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant. Thanks x

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab ideas thanks for sharing especially as 1 of my 2 recommendations in a very recent ofsted inspection was to label toy boxes with words and pictures.

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas thanks.

I have laminated labels but not on boxes! My darling niece who I mind makes it her mission to pull them off so currently they are in a pile. Lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

So it took some time, but I took pictures of the inside of the boxes, printed them out with labels such as 'cars' 'people' 'play dough' and laminated them, stuck them onto each box. With the same pictures I also made a 'toy catalogue' which is about 20 pages of laminated paper kept together with a tie and the mindees can literally flick through and pick what they want especially the boxes that are in the cupboard.

Ofsted took absolutely no notice and didn't mention it despite it all being in clear view.

So I guess it depends what inspector you get, however I can't see any harm in having them.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I saw on here earlier in the week that someone (sorry can't remember who just now) made and laminated some shapes and had them stuck on patio doors with those stucker things with hooks on - I am going to put signs and words up on my patio doors using these. I do have photos and labels on my toy boxes but have had a shuffle around and combined or separated some boxes so must do new photos and labels somewhen!
    I think it was Amylouise

If you have clear toyboxes and the little angels like to take them off put stick them to the inside instead
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    So it took some time, but I took pictures of the inside of the boxes, printed them out with labels such as 'cars' 'people' 'play dough' and laminated them, stuck them onto each box. With the same pictures I also made a 'toy catalogue' which is about 20 pages of laminated paper kept together with a tie and the mindees can literally flick through and pick what they want especially the boxes that are in the cupboard.

Ofsted took absolutely no notice and didn't mention it despite it all being in clear view.

So I guess it depends what inspector you get, however I can't see any harm in having them.
    I do the same - have actual photo of contents and description of toy box stuck to box and then a duplicate set of photo cards and description which child choose from each day and they stick on a board that says "What shall we play with today?" Then I get that box or resource from toy store/playroom.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great ideas thanks Sarah!! And thanks lilac_dragon, like the placemat idea!!!

Simona Guest

Great examples Sarah...I use labels a lot, they definitely help children with 'starting to read'

One more thing I do, following HighScope, is sticking on the outside of a container/box with sellotaps, an example of what is inside especially if the container is on a higher shelf...for instance a small piece of Lego on the outside means the children can point to the box if that is what they want to play with

Apart from seeing/learning letters they eventually learn colours by pointing to the box they want and identify it that way...all part of enabling environment which should please Mrs O!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Great examples Sarah...I use labels a lot, they definitely help children with 'starting to read'

One more thing I do, following HighScope, is sticking on the outside of a container/box with sellotaps, an example of what is inside especially if the container is on a higher shelf...for instance a small piece of Lego on the outside means the children can point to the box if that is what they want to play with

Apart from seeing/learning letters they eventually learn colours by pointing to the box they want and identify it that way...all part of enabling environment which should please Mrs O!!!
    One of my mindees goes to a "Highscope" Nursery - have you any other tips based on their ideas. I try to use their 6 stages of conflict resolution - that I saw on display when I went to visit but don't know much else about their theories.

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just painted a new blackboard for outside and have painted (outdoor gloss)the childrens names on it if they leave I can paint over with blackboard paint or add new names. Giving children opportunity to copy their and recognise their names
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    One of my mindees goes to a "Highscope" Nursery - have you any other tips based on their ideas. I try to use their 6 stages of conflict resolution - that I saw on display when I went to visit but don't know much else about their theories.
    I love HighScope...have used it since I trained, it is so lovely and easily adapted to EYFS and covers all the 7 areas of learning

It is based on the Perry Preschool Project and focusses on 'active learning' which is the centre of the Wheel of learning with assessment, adult-child interaction, learning environment and daily routine...very EYFS, in fact the EYFS has many HighScope features

It was developed by Dr David Weikart in America and involved children from deprived areas who were low achievers due to lack of opportunity, early intervention and high quality preschools meant they could improve....this is similar to the EPPE project and the policy now enforced by this govt and also the previous one who called it 'Every Child Matters', in America it is called 'no child left behind'

High means the individual level of achievement you wish the children to achieve
    Scope is the range of experiences you offer to support them to achieve their High

Conflict resolution I use all the time to get the children to resolve any differences, problem solving...it works because they have to reason...works for all ages

Plan-Do-Review
    The children plan their activities, once done they review them reflecting on what they have learnt

Encouragement is used more than praise, it also uses its own way of observing children 'Child Observation Records'

See if this helps you
    Preschool Curriculum for Pre-K & Early Childhood | HighScope

What Is High/Scope?

21. Likes hectors house, FloraDora liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I love HighScope...have used it since I trained, it is so lovely and easily adapted to EYFS and covers all the 7 areas of learning

It is based on the Perry Preschool Project and focusses on 'active learning' which is the centre of the Wheel of learning with assessment, adult-child interaction, learning environment and daily routine...very EYFS, in fact the EYFS has many HighScope features

It was developed by Dr David Weikart in America and involved children from deprived areas who were low achievers due to lack of opportunity, early intervention and high quality preschools meant they could improve....this is similar to the EPPE project and the policy now enforced by this govt and also the previous one who called it 'Every Child Matters', in America it is called 'no child left behind'

High means the individual level of achievement you wish the children to achieve
    Scope is the range of experiences you offer to support them to achieve their High

Conflict resolution I use all the time to get the children to resolve any differences, problem solving...it works because they have to reason...works for all ages

Plan-Do-Review
    The children plan their activities, once done they review them reflecting on what they have learnt

Encouragement is used more than praise, it also uses its own way of observing children 'Child Observation Records'

See if this helps you
    Preschool Curriculum for Pre-K & Early Childhood | HighScope

What Is High/Scope?
    The nursery I went to visit said they didn't put signs up eg: in role play Pizza restaurant they said children had to write their own signs and menu - how can they do this if they have nothing to model? Thanks for the links I will read them at weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast