Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Feedback from recent Ofsted inspections

I am currently supporting a lot of members of this Forum who have been devastated by their recent Ofsted inspection outcomes.

Please can I draw your urgent attention to the following areas of provision -

Risk assessments
    If a child does something developmentally new at home eg a baby starts rolling, a child starts walking, a child comes down the slide the wrong way and flies off the end, a child bites mum etc - write it into your risk assessments! 2 different childminders who I know have been pulled up for not writing it down and noting how they will support the child.

You can do this really simply - write ‘handover notes’ in their diary or maybe have a ‘my new things’ list in their Learning Journey.

Safeguarding
    If anything - and I mean anything - happens that might even vaguely relate to safeguarding, ring and inform Ofsted. For example, if a child makes an allegation against another child (even one that you think is unimportant)... if a child (even if they are prone to telling tales) makes something up against you or your child... if you have an argument with a neighbour and they say they are going to tell SS you hit children...

You should ring Ofsted - 0300 123 1231 - and write it up as an incident, noting the date and time, what was said and how you acted to protect the children. Make sure you get a reference / name from Ofsted and note the date and time they were informed.

Risk assessments
    If you have thrown away your written risk assessments or don’t think you have to do them - please think again! Read Ofsted factsheet 120334 and at the very least write a risk assessment policy and procedures AND write the main RAs for the house, garden and different types of outings - including noting (as above) how risks change when children develop new skills.

There is a lot of help online and in this Childminding Forum thread -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...fs-2012-a.html

Educational programmes
    Ignore what it says in the EYFS about not writing things down - and write them down! You need starting points, observations, assessments, Development Matters links, individual next steps planning and evidence of progress as a minimum for every EYFS aged child.

To evidence you are aware of the requirements of the EYFS, have a Learning Journey file for every child and follow the good practice advice in this Forum thread -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...lp-advice.html

School readiness
    I know a lot of childminders dislike this requirement but it must be tackled! You need to show evidence of how you support children to be ready to start school - it’s not about teaching them to read and write... it’s more about promoting independence skills with parents so they are on board and supporting their child to be ready.

You can evidence this in your Learning Journeys - some childminders have a list of things to support children with which they share with parents and tick off together as they are achieved. Things like organising children’s days with pre-determined routines to support their learning about the passing of time and to help them get ready for school days also help.
    There is some information about school aged children in this document -
    School Age Children and EYFS

Tracking progress
    Yes, I know the EYFS only requires a 2 year progress check but it is really important to track progress throughout the early years, spotting problems and gaps in learning and tackling them with parents. A large number of inspection reports are commenting on the lack of regular tracking ‘towards the Early Learning Goals’. You don’t have to comment on the ELGs - that is the reception teacher’s job - but you do need to be aware of the progress each child is making towards them.

You can evidence this by writing short summaries of learning and development every, say, 6 months and sharing them with parents. Ask for parent input and comments and include the information in the child’s individual / next steps planning.
    This document will give you further help and advice -
    Making Good Progress

Resources
    It is very important that you can show the inspector you have a range of resources to help children learn through all the areas of learning and development. A number of inspection reports pick on lack of resources as a reason for a lower grade.
    For example, comments might say, ‘children do not have sufficient access to materials, such as, paint, dough, sand, water, gloop and collage materials. This impacts upon the children's sensory development’.

You can evidence your range of resources through photos of the children playing - especially if you keep some resources in another room of the house. Some childminders find it useful to have a resources and planning list which gives a general idea of what resources are available for the children each day.
    Have a look here for some more ideas -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...sourcesforeyfs.

Outside play
    Get the children used to going outside every day by promoting outside play, making sure you have appropriate clothes for them to wear, setting out games you know they will enjoy, providing a covered area, planning exciting outside activities etc. Then, on the day of your inspection, they will be more likely to want to play outside... and even if it’s tipping it down, invite them to play outside!

You can evidence this through your planning sheets, children’s daily diaries, observations which show a balance of inside and outside play etc.

Home learning
    It is really important that you evidence how you promote children’s home learning. This is not about giving children homework - it’s about sensitively sharing ideas that parents can follow up at home, letting them borrow books, sending home simple recipes etc.

I have included a section in my play plan - every month I write about how I have supported each child’s home learning. You can find more information here -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-children.html

Self evaluation
    Just do it! Yes, I know it’s not compulsory but it is very likely you will be picked up on it if you fail to write some sort of self evaluation - or the Ofsted SEF. It doesn’t have to be long and complicated - but it does need to show clear evidence that you have an action plan for the future and that you are doing your best to improve.

The Ofsted SEF is here -
    SEF Ofsted
    You will find some help in this document -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...mprovement.pdf

Balancing adult-led and child initiated activities
    Those childminders who say ‘I just let children play’ or ‘I don’t do planning’ will be very likely to struggle during their next inspection. There is a big Ofsted focus on demonstrating how you provide opportunities for children to learn through adult-led AND adult-guided experiences as well as child initiated play.
    Adult led = your planning for the child; adult guided = how you support children’s play by providing extra experiences so they get the most out of every learning experience; child initiated = children’s own play. You must make time for all 3 types of play every day.

Evidence this through your play planning to show what you have planned for the child and what the child has done. I am not talking about doing a lot of writing - and most of it can be done after the event. I use my play plan -
    http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-children.html

Individual vs group planning
    The focus of current Ofsted inspections is on individual planning. If you use themed planning like thousands of other childminders that is still absolutely fine - just show how it is differentiated (changed) for the individual child.

To provide evidence, write your group / themed / topic planning as normal and then include notes on the child’s play plan about how he has engaged or how you have changed your planning to accommodate the child’s needs. For example, everyone is learning about Red Nose Day and you are organising a picnic. To offer sensory experiences for the children you have planned the following -
    • Jane tells you that she wants to do a red painting
    • John loves playdough so you will make some with him
    • Jared is a baby and the children have helped you to make a red treasure basket / sensory box for him to use.

Information about individual planning -
    planning for child interest
    Information about group planning -
    Group Planning
    Activity Planner
    Ideas for sharing planning with parents -
    Notice Board

The learning characteristics
    Do you know what they are? Do you share information about them with parents? Do you use them to inform children’s future planning? I have found them (or rather lack of them) mentioned in a number of Ofsted inspection reports so you do need to consider how you use them.

I wrote this blurb recently for a childminder who asked me for help explaining the characteristics to parents -

Observations tell us what your child is learning here and at home /elsewhere - their learning characteristics tell us how your child is learning.

Children learn in different ways - just like adults. Think about it - do you prefer to read a book or listen to it with headphones? Do you want to take things apart to find out how they work or are you simply happy that they do work? Are you are leader or follower? Do you talk a lot or prefer to sit quietly and listen?

Children's learning characteristics are individual to them just like our characteristics are individual to us.

By noting a child's characteristics we can clue into the ways they learn and make sure our planning for them is as unique as they are.

You will find more information here -
    The Characteristics of Effective Learning

Please check your safeguarding procedures are up-to-date with local safeguarding children board advice - and get on some training ...

And the most common reason for unsatisfactory? Can you guess? Yes it's lack of first aid certificate!

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting Sarah, thanks. I can't believe child minders are getting themselves pulled up on first aid training........ These things are basic!!!!
    Anyway, will take on board your comments. Thanks again.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Sarah for collating together the ways we can all improve.

I bet some of the people who got satisfactory for not having current first aid certificate though is because either the course they were booked on before theirs expired was cancelled or they found all the ones in their area were full. Have just managed to force our LA to put on a Safeguarding course in our town - 25+ childminders booked onto it and the LA nearly didn't run it because it had to be "multi agency" not just childminders or they wouldn't be allowed to run it - think in the end they managed to squeeze a couple of foster carers in, to tick the box!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah for making it all much clearer.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah x you are a star x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Sarah

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, brill as always x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sarah, this is another keeper!

Do you think it needs to be a stuck thread to be easily found?

9. Likes sing-low, Little_steps, Donkey liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks sarah... looking scary... not sure I want an inspection! not because i'm NOT doing it, but being able to prove/evidence it all!

I know of a childminder who got pulled up because she had no photos of the children LEARNING AT HOME in her LJ! her parents are not interested in anything the children do, just that they are cared for whilst parent works!

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah
    Toothfairy

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, are childminder inspections different to group setting? Some of the things childminders get picked up like learning from home or individualplanning I have never seen evidence of in the local nurseries and pre schools (I'm. Very friendly with the managers) and they don't get even a mention during their ofsted never mind highlighted on the report.

13. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

So helpful, thank you

June 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Thank you Sarah, are childminder inspections different to group setting? Some of the things childminders get picked up like learning from home or individualplanning I have never seen evidence of in the local nurseries and pre schools (I'm. Very friendly with the managers) and they don't get even a mention during their ofsted never mind highlighted on the report.
    This is such a good point - our parents comment on how little info they get from nursery - in fact there is hardly any communication at all so quite how nursery evidence these points to Ofsted I'm not quite sure!

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant as always Sarah ! Thanks so much

Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a couple of comments others have made about the fairness of the inspections at the moment. I understand its all helpful, and am grateful for the heads up, but feel instead of bending over backwards, we should be challenging OFSTED on what they are inspecting us on! as they seem to have their own personal inspection framework removed from the EYFS. Your words "ignore what the EYFS says" is a concern. The new EYFS was supposed to relax on the amount of paperwork to allow us more quality time the children. Lots more child-led activities, open-ended learning. I recently went to a cluster meeting that was promoting taking away most toys and giving them basic natural toys to encourage their imaginations, and yet you state that childminders have been pulled up on the lack of resources.

I honestly don't think that OFSTED know what is going on themselves, and the difference between individual inspectors is terrible. I refuse to give parents "homework" all of my parents are brilliant at home and do more with their children at weekends than I do, as I am too shattered after working a 52 hour week and doing all the extras as well. If a parent was struggling a bit I would happily help, but don't see the need to push even more onto children that are already busy with me for the majority of the week.

Ah well, I guess it will be a satisfactory for me next time.

19. Likes loocyloo, mazza58, Beaka, Daftbat, jan liked this post
    NOV 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant Sarah, thank you so much!

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, great support ,information and advice as always x

One thing I think that is unfair, is that we seem to put loads more time and effort and generally more all round that other early years settings.

All three of my children have been to nursery and pre-school. None of the settings follow EYFS as thoroughly as child minders do, they don't have in depth LJ, observations, next steps.

Partnership with parents is poor.

it feels like we are expected to do so much more than these other settings

Sorry just a little rant x
    Sarah

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Very useful, thank you. Just in time for my first graded!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast