Children playing + messy floors and Ofsted inspections
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am lucky as we have a through lounge/diner which leads into a large conservatory, but we have LOTS of toys out. I generally tidy a few away as we go and the littlies help to tidy before snack and meals but I dont restrict what or where they play. Guess it will be another thing to argue, oops sorry, mean discuss with Mrs O on my next inspection

toddlers896 Guest

This Is an interesting thread.
    Ive just recently put all my resources into my dining room and turned it into a playroom and everyday it is a total tip. I did it this way so the children could have access to whatever they wanted but they don't play with one specific thing!! everything gets pulled out and its everywhere.
    It was definitely less messy having the resources stored in the garage and bringing out a couple of boxes a day.
    I don't think I can win really and would dread Mrs O coming. She would have to climb over everything on the floor lol

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I aim for safe walkways through the "mess", keeping the really hard/sharp objects out of the newly sitting babys "fall zone" and otherwise I let them crack on! If toys are being stepped on, I ask the child to move themselves or the toy. One time we had a cushion bus in the hallway. Too late, I realised my fire escape route was blocked...that bus had to make a brief detour and the thread of the play was lost, such a shame, but two lessons learned...don't interfere unless you have to, but redirect if you need to!!

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If there is a lot of mess which I thought was a tripping hazard and children were engrossed in play I would probably say to the children that I was going to have a little bit of a tidy up and I would put the main bits that were causing a problem away. I think its ok for children not to be involved in all the tidying up if they are playing, I generally keep on top of things so the mess does not get to a point where children cannot play....

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

No ideas to add but with two dumpers (one my own son) and a wandering dumper I feel like I'm forever picking up. I'm trying to get the children to help and to contain it but my word, it's hard! I'm going to try and take some of these suggestions on board

My wandering dumper won't concentrate on anything for more than 20 seconds. She's like this at home too apparently so that's something else I'm trying to work on.

PS Helen Moylett is my new favourite childcare person (I lurve her) and (shock horror) she may even be replacing Sarah707 in my affections!
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My floor generally looks like a small whirlwind arrived, had a quick look round and left again about 1/2 after the children arrive! If I think it is dangerous I will tidy some things away that aren't being played with and before lunch we usually 're-group' the toys, i.e all the books back in the box, cars on the car mat etc. The children like this as they know that toys aren't being put away and will still be out to play with after lunch.
    About 15 minutes before the last child/ren leave I get the boxes out and each child helps to put something specific away, usually what they have scattered. It works well for me and the children.
    I love mouse's idea of the coloured bath mats, I might try that!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all toys in my garage room so the children choose from photographs what they want to play with each day - I used to let each child choose 2 boxes/activities but that meant possibily having 6 toy boxes out - so now they each choose one box and if they want to swap after lunch they have to tidy up everything that goes in the box they want to put away first. I do have quite a large lounge but especially if they have had the treasure basket out there may not be much floor left - the 15 month old is walking a few independent steps at home, but I haven't seen him do it here - maybe he has done a risk assessment and thought better of it!

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wibble.

In my last house all toys were in playroom and children could help themselves. Playroom in this house not as big and soon becomes cluttered. So wooden kitchen, box of books, large trucks, pram out all the time. Other toys are in bedroom and children choose 2 or maybe 3 boxes at a time.

I find this works better as children actually play with what is out, have more space on the floor and very importantly (to me) few toys are stood on and broken.

I really dont mind my house being messy but just before we do lunch time school run everyone helps to tidy up (toys back in boxes etc). Same happens 15mins before end of day

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmmm what can Ofsted say about messy floors look at their Parent Poster
    Loads of good comments given

13. Likes lisbet, loocyloo liked this post
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got two girly girls who love playing with the dolls (of which there are many!) and the accessories/clothes that go with them. I very rarely see my carpet when they're playing as they ALL have to come out of the boxes/bags etc they're in. The girls do ask me if this is ok bless 'em (they're both almost 4 years old). I always say that I don't mind them tipping it all out, but they must remember when they've finished, they will also need to put it all away again (and yes when the time comes they moan and take forever, but they do it eventually!) I don't mind a messy floor, but sometimes it does get a bit much, when they also have all the playfood out "for their babies" at the same time. As long as everyone's happy and safe and there's a clear pathway (somewhere among the 'mess') then that's good - let 'em get on with it I say

Hels xx

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

While they are engaged in play I tidy up anything random that they arent playing with that could cause a trip, I do it discreetly and dont say anything , I dont think they even notice

when its snack/story/lunch/time to go out , then its tidy up time , they all help and everything goes away, I encourage and instruct but avoid doing it for them

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    This is my main question Juggler - on the one hand we want to promote child initiated deep play... on the other we are nagging at them to tidy up, be safe, put things away...

I know we need a good balance - and all of you thank you for your thoughts and suggestions - but I do worry for those childminders who are new or not confident at arguing their corner with Ofsted.

Any more ideas guys please? Keep them coming
    Im still pre reg but have 5 of my own one who has ADHD. As my son had attention problems he couldn't cope with too many toys around him as he became over stimulated. I found if he had a couple of things out then he could enjoy them and focus. This is something I continued with my later children.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My Ofsted inspector commented on the fact that I encourage the children to tidy up between activities - she was impressed and liked that I did it - I did it because my play space isnt very big and didnt want the children falling over while she was there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12