First graded inspection coming up -doubting myself!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First graded inspection coming up -doubting myself!

Help!!!! I have a few questions that I hope will sound silly! Lol!

I have my first graded inspection coming up and I'm worrying like mad about how I do things, silly things really for example:

I have two two-ish year olds. My nappy changing is upstairs so we all go up together. My first worry is is this safe? They are both able to walk up the stairs and I follow behind to keep them safe, but will/does anyone else think this is awful practice and I should take them up one at a time? But then how do I ensure the other is safe downstairs? I have a gate across the playroom but would it be acceptable to leave the other child there? They would still be in hearing, but still downstairs. Or should I change nappies downstairs?

Then once upstairs we go to the changing area, there are toys to play with so I change one while the other plays then swap. Again does this sound ok?

I'm just getting myself into a bit of a pickle with the small day to day things that I've never worried about before! Eeeeek! I'm going to be a mess when the inspector does turn up!

Any slaps round the face and 'pull yourself together girl' will be much appreciated! Equally if I am being irresponsible I really should be told that too!!! Lol!

Xx D

Post Thanks / Like

I think what you are doing is fine. I change nappies downstairs but nap times are upstairs and two of mine are 20 and 22 months. They crawl upstairs while I follow. Once at the top I put the stair gate across then take them to their rooms and put them to sleep. Both in cots so no need to pull stair gate across when I come back down.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fine to me, I'm guessing your hands are free to catch any slips, so you are teaching them independence. Besides you know how steady they each are!

Oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you both. It's so silly, but just the thought of someone watching me for a few hours has left me really questioning every little thing I do! I guess day to day you just get on with how things work best without really giving it a second thought!

Oh well, it's all good food for thought for my SEF! At least I can say I have really looked at my own practice in fine detail!

Dx

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I worried about that too, but you get so caught up in caring for the children that you don't have time to remember you are being watched in that way! You are super aware of safety, hygiene etc, but the rest just happens because the children seem to just carry on doing what they always do and being what they always are! For some this includes being shy or showing off, but you'll have seen all that and will deal it accordingly!