Where do you store baby wipes?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you store baby wipes?

Where would Ofsted expect you to store baby wipes? Are they considered a hazard?

I have just rearranged the storage in my bathroom and put all cleaning fluids and obvious hazards in a high cupboard (not very big and jam packed full). In a low cupboard I have loo rolls, baby wipes, cotton wool pads and sanitary towels. Is this OK?

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never thought about this, mine are just in the living room next to the nappies (not out if reach of kids) - is this wrong? My 1st inspection is next week !!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume fine I had my inspection a few weeks ago and nothing was said mine are within reach of my 3 year olds but not babies purely as try would empty the pack more than anything lol. I normally have some in bathroom and some on worktop in kitchen. Honestly don't think you will have a problem:-)

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine are on my kitchen table, didn't have any problem with that at my inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Oh good - I'm suffering with Ofsted paranoia I think... I only thought about it today as I was reading the cleaning fluid labels and noticed my Sainsburys Little Ones wipes actually say 'keep out of reach of children' !!!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as they're not anti bacterial wipes.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Post Thanks / Like

We have baby wipes and tissues available everywhere - the children help themselves - after meals and snacks to wipe up dribbles, they have a little wall mounted mirror to check they have a clean face and a bin to pop the wipes in. We've never had any issues with safety at all - we do occasionally have andrex puppy style incidents with way too many wipes out but it only happens the odd time. I think it teaches independence. We make sure we have wipes that they are sensitive/water based wipes that everyone can use without any allergic rreactions.

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What make do you use? just out of interest - does it have a 'keep out of reach of children' type warning on the packet? Ta :-)

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lilylulu View Post
    We have baby wipes and tissues available everywhere - the children help themselves - after meals and snacks to wipe up dribbles, they have a little wall mounted mirror to check they have a clean face and a bin to pop the wipes in. We've never had any issues with safety at all - we do occasionally have andrex puppy style incidents with way too many wipes out but it only happens the odd time. I think it teaches independence. We make sure we have wipes that they are sensitive/water based wipes that everyone can use without any allergic rreactions.
    Thats a good idea, especially the mirror so they can check

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep mine in the kitchen along with changing mat and nappies and they never even asked when ofsted came last week

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a large,zipped cosmetics bag/cube that has spare nappies,wipes,nappy sacks and anti bac wipes in...when not in use it's zipped up and popped on top of storage unit away from babies

jun 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i have plastic draw set which is 6 draws high double width in here the top draw i keep baby wipes creams nappy bags and rubber gloves

next draw is learning journals and scrap books they take up 2 draws then i have a draw full of nappies incase parents havnt packed enough of forgotten (which they never do lol ) and the last 2 draws have spare clothes in for accidents these draws are bought in sets of 3 you can then buy 2 sets and they connect to each other they are very sturdy and wont fall over as ive checked and take up minimal space they are also slightly see through so you can see whats in what draw also buy having the learning journals to hand it encourages the kids to look through them and add to their scrap books

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The ones in use are on the back of the sofa in the playroom and on the kitchen table. The packs not in use are in a high cupboard in my cloak room but only because they are out of the way not because they are hazardous.

Post Thanks / Like

How are wipes hazardous?? Surely we need to be teaching the children to manage risk, they don't learn that by being wrapped in cotton wool. I think if you feel there is a risk that they may eat the wipes or you have a child with severe allergies/anaphylaxis, then keep them out of reach.

We use Huggies Pure wipes as they seem to be tolerated by even the most sensitive skin. They aren't the softest wipe, but they don't irritate any of ours with eczema.
    Last edited by Lilylulu; 22-01-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    What make do you use? just out of interest - does it have a 'keep out of reach of children' type warning on the packet? Ta :-)
    I've just checked my packets.
    Tesco baby ultrasoft, fragrence free: Warning Keep out of reach of children
    Huggies Pure: No warning

Personally my reason for keeping them out of reach is so that LO's don't pull them all out or put them in the toilet!!!!!
    I tend to keep them in the children's individual bags (if they bring them) & my supply should be in the bathroom cupboard but they tend to move around depending on where we last needed them.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I asked my dh this question so you would get a honest answer.

They should go in the drawer however whether I chuck/place them and will compalin loudly when I cant find the afterwards
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's all a bit daft and agree they are not really hazardous, BUT I do find the warning on mine a bit worrying. Think the answer, for me, is to find a brand without a warning - so Huggies Pure or similar. Won't be buying Sainsburys or Tescos own in future.
    It's probably a bit like 'may contain nuts'...

19. Likes Lilylulu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby wipes

Found this to b very interesting ... Have been a mother for 18 years and a childminder for 9 and never noticed any warning ... I am chairperson of out local childminder group (30 + childminders) and will b mentioning it at our meeting tonight ... Thanks