Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paperwork & Confidentiality

Hiya,

I had the call from Ofsted yesterday, I will be inspected next week or the week after, for my first graded inspection!

Now I am worrying myself silly over it - I have only been minding since the second week of September, so everything is not how I want it to be.....I am still learning!!!!!!!

Quick question, what kind of paperwork will they ask to see? Also, do you show them blank forms or ones that are filled in? I am just concerned about the confidentiality of private information, that should be kept in a secured place.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks,
    Kim x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They will want to see the LJs for the children in your care on the day and the Ages and Stages development matters sheets.

They need to see evidence that you have the names and addresses and emergency contacts for all the children. I have this info in my NCMA Attendence Register and on my child Info Forms.

They may want to see what signed permissions you have.

Planning and RAs

Insurances

First Aid and Child Protection Training

You do not have to show them any of your Contracts with parents or anything to do with your Accounts, though they may ask for evidence that you are registered with HMRC, or what you charge your parents. I get over this by having a blank Contract in my Parent Information Folder along with blank copies of all the forms I ask the parents to sign along with a copy of my PLI Insurance Cert, First Aid Cert, Child Protection Cert, All my Policies, my latest Ofsted Report, Sample menu and Weekly Routine, an EYFS Info sheet for Parents and a few Photos of my setting.

Good luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I usually show blanks of my forms - but they do have a right to see completed documents if they have a concern - such as medication forms to check you get written permission before giving meds.

Good luck!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They checked my register was signed and up to date and accident incident paperwork, risk assessments, and were very keen on starting points for children. They look round your house even in rooms you are not minding in .....my teenagers rooms were horrific, with in one of them my daughters friend and her sat chatting and I think had a cigarette out of the window luckily inspector found it very funny and asked me tongue in cheek 'are there any hazards in here!'....

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Now all my house is registered.

However if I chose for instance not to register the upstairs then the inspector would not be allowed up there. If it is not registered, not being used for or by the minded children and they have no access, then it is none of Ofsteds business to look at any areas not covered by your Registration.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

All good advice. I also tell my link childminders to have a book, file or something that says what improvements you want to make and any plans you have for the future. Ofsted love to see you reflecting on your practice

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

All my house is registered but I was told by a childminder support worker that Ofsted could look in any room of your house even if its not registered as it could contain hazards

8. Likes buildingblocks liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

apparently they do this as they had an incidence of a minder being over her numbers and had children stashed in room upstairs!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dawn100 View Post
    All my house is registered but I was told by a childminder support worker that Ofsted could look in any room of your house even if its not registered as it could contain hazards
    So what? If the children have no access to the room it does not matter. I have a Utility room and it had an alarm on the door. All my cleaning stuff is in there and the children are not allowed in there.

I don't see any reason why I should allow an inspector into my bedroom or my children's bedrooms if I have chosen to exclude them from my childminding business. It would be good surely if anything potentially hazardous was in a room that was not accessed by the children?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    apparently they do this as they had an incidence of a minder being over her numbers and had children stashed in room upstairs!!!
    If they were inspecting because of a complaint maybe that would be different. She must have known they were coming though to stash children out of the way and deserved to be caught.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong but I am almost certain they can inspect any part of your property to make sure you are following regulations eg you may be growing certain plants in a spare room (sorry cant spell the word lol) this is what a friend of mine was told
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I am the only childminder that has never had inspectors ask to see my upstairs, they didn't even go in the garden, just peeked through the kitchen window. I only wanted one bedroom registered and didn't want to register the kitchen either....they registered my whole house apart from one bedroom. Weird!!

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes I was also informed that Ofsted have a complete free access to any part of a childminders home should they feel the need to inspect it, x

jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    I had to giggle, I would love to see the inspectors face when she opened the door.......
    x helen