Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted inspection tips

I have finally had my inspection today, it was due in march and has been cancelled a couple of times. I am delighted to say I was awarded a good, I was so nervous especially as I had the same inspector as my pre reg and he said that childminders should expect satisfactory for their first inspection! So glad to prove him wrong!!
    My best advice to anyone waiting for their first inspection is complete your sef! The inspector only asked me about 5 questions and was only at my house for 2 hours as he said my sef was really comprehensive so he did not have to ask me many questions.
    I recommend sarahs sef e-book it really helped me understand the questions.
    The inspector asked me about a lot about how I communicate with my parents he said that this was a big part of the new eyfs.
    The other questions he asked were about how I document children's development and what creative development opportunities I provide.
    I really expected him to ask me more questions, I had spent ages rehearsing my answers to different safeguarding questions but I did not get one lol!!
    My other advice is just keep to the children's routine and concentrate on the children rather than changing things for the inspector. The inspector asked me to bring the children inside so he could observe me interacting with the children, but the children were happily playing outside and the 18 month old I mind did not like the inspector(she does not like new people) so I said I would settle her outside and when they were all ready I would bring them all in and do an activity. I really thought that it would count against me but he told me that he was impressed by me putting the children first!
    Hope this has helped, I have picked up so many tips from this forum so wanted to share xx

2. Likes winstonian, vifraguito liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your grade and thank you for the feedback

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose View Post
    I have finally had my inspection today, it was due in march and has been cancelled a couple of times. I am delighted to say I was awarded a good, I was so nervous especially as I had the same inspector as my pre reg and he said that childminders should expect satisfactory for their first inspection! So glad to prove him wrong!!
    My best advice to anyone waiting for their first inspection is complete your sef! The inspector only asked me about 5 questions and was only at my house for 2 hours as he said my sef was really comprehensive so he did not have to ask me many questions.
    I recommend sarahs sef e-book it really helped me understand the questions.
    The inspector asked me about a lot about how I communicate with my parents he said that this was a big part of the new eyfs.
    The other questions he asked were about how I document children's development and what creative development opportunities I provide.
    I really expected him to ask me more questions, I had spent ages rehearsing my answers to different safeguarding questions but I did not get one lol!!
    My other advice is just keep to the children's routine and concentrate on the children rather than changing things for the inspector. The inspector asked me to bring the children inside so he could observe me interacting with the children, but the children were happily playing outside and the 18 month old I mind did not like the inspector(she does not like new people) so I said I would settle her outside and when they were all ready I would bring them all in and do an activity. I really thought that it would count against me but he told me that he was impressed by me putting the children first!
    Hope this has helped, I have picked up so many tips from this forum so wanted to share xx

Well done you, I had my inspection and like you was told you've only been minding a while so I am sure you will get a satisfactory with elements of good! Like you was very pleased as I ended up with overall good with 4 elements of outstanding, have to admit I was rather smug, like you a bought Sarah's e book and filled in my sef I even printed it and gave them a copy to take with them!

I just wish that I hadn't of stressed so much and had a complete meltdown in the morning

Well done again, now you can breathe and relax!!!!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well donex
    Jas Bedi

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

AUG 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile inspection ?

Can you tell me how much of the paper work did the inspector look at ? I am due mine and am really fizzing as have so much to catch up on and dont know where to start ? where can I get this e sarah book ? well done for your inspection result.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done And thank you for your tips.
    Jacks nanny there is a section in the forum for Sarah Neville e books, you could also google Knutsford childminder and it will take you to her website.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah's e books can be purchased here
    Eyfs for Childminders
    The inspectors are not supposed to be concentrating on paperwork so providing you have the legal stuff (attendence register etc) then don't worry to much. As long as you can show how you plan for the childrens needs and learning style, next steps etc thats fine. I think they are doing more on observing you with the children and they will ask you questions whilst you are working.

Jan 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone link me to the SEF book, I can't find it on her website.
    Thanks!

Never mind I found it lol

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

well done you!