Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why did I answer a with held number?

Well in spite of saying recently that I didn't answer with held numbers I just let it go to answer machine, today I broke my own rule (really feeling like being rude to someone selling me something) and instead found I was talking to Ofsted inspector telling me she wanted to visit next week to do my overdue (5 1/2 years) inspection!!

Just as I answered the new baby mindee toppled over and started to cry so I picked her up to cuddle her but couldn't hear a word the Ofsted lady was saying - had to keep asking her to repeat things. So that's probably a black mark before she has even got here. Managed to delay her until week after next saying that I wasn't working much next week as it's half term - not completely true but I have got some of my older mindees back and they want to see me and their friends and go out on an outing, not be observed and cross examined by Ofsted.

Will be spending all weekend updating my SEF, have already done my homework and found what this inspection is "picky" about - any suggestions on the following statements greatly appreciated.

"opportunities for children to express themselves through music and dance not developed"

"Few opportunities for children to access programmable toys" -any suggestions on toys I could beg, steal or borrow?

"SEF doesn't include all areas of practice" - feel that's not fair to mention a SEF when it's not compulsory - not sure I have covered all areas of practice either, I have just waffled a lot!

"outdoor literacy and numeracy skills, play with words, letters, numbers as they play" - I do have some number lines to go outside and some butterflies with names of colours written on - any other suggestions without overdoing it or looking like I live in a Nursery?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well at least it will be out of the way. You knew it was coming sometime soon

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aww, you can run but you can't hide forever

Good luck

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Well in spite of saying recently that I didn't answer with held numbers I just let it go to answer machine, today I broke my own rule (really feeling like being rude to someone selling me something) and instead found I was talking to Ofsted inspector telling me she wanted to visit next week to do my overdue (5 1/2 years) inspection!! Just as I answered the new baby mindee toppled over and started to cry so I picked her up to cuddle her but couldn't hear a word the Ofsted lady was saying - had to keep asking her to repeat things. So that's probably a black mark before she has even got here. Managed to delay her until week after next saying that I wasn't working much next week as it's half term - not completely true but I have got some of my older mindees back and they want to see me and their friends and go out on an outing, not be observed and cross examined by Ofsted. Will be spending all weekend updating my SEF, have already done my homework and found what this inspection is "picky" about - any suggestions on the following statements greatly appreciated. "opportunities for children to express themselves through music and dance not developed" "Few opportunities for children to access programmable toys" -any suggestions on toys I could beg, steal or borrow? "SEF doesn't include all areas of practice" - feel that's not fair to mention a SEF when it's not compulsory - not sure I have covered all areas of practice either, I have just waffled a lot! "outdoor literacy and numeracy skills, play with words, letters, numbers as they play" - I do have some number lines to go outside and some butterflies with names of colours written on - any other suggestions without overdoing it or looking like I live in a Nursery?
    Oops! Sure you'll be fine. Sarah has a great guide to all the stuff to put in your SEF. I found it really helpful and my Mrs O commented on it positively.
    Music and dance: do you have any ribbons, streamers the children could use while dancing to music - get some pics this week and put in LJs or display on wall.
    Programmable toys huh?! I will put my thinking cap on and get back to you.
    Outdoor: take things out with you - whatever letters or numbers you have inside can also go out. Take out books, signs for role play, try and incorporate writing into whatever you're doing outside. Could you plant some bulbs - reading the directions? Hopscotch chalked on the ground? Hth.

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ug!
    Good luck. Sure you'll be fine. :-)
    I second sing lows ideas and I'm not sure about programmable toys! ...Could they set the washing machine or dishwasher for you? Just thought .. She means like a beebot or robot type toy. I don't have one though. Hth
    Last edited by loocyloo; 25-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oooo, just had a thought.... (steady, it is Saturday )

Do you have a toy library local to you that you could borrow from - saves the expense of buying 'programmable toys' and the kids can select the ones they want to play with

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Ug!
    Good luck. Sure you'll be fine. :-)
    I second sing lows ideas and I'm not sure about programmable toys! ...Could they set the washing machine or dishwasher for you? Just thought .. She means like a beebot or robot type toy. I don't have one though. Hth
    Yes that's what I thought she must mean, going to phone my friend who works at Children's Centre & Toy Library to see if they have anything programmable, may also borrow the chinese and indian dolls (although I only have boys) as I have plenty of black dolls - probably more chinese and indian people in our small town than black people, I have in past looked after a half Japanese boy but haven't currently got anyone from different cultures - so at least they won't be able to pick me up on not try to speak their language or follow their religions as mine are all White, non practising Christians.

Would putting on a CD player and pressing buttons on TV remote count as programmable as they do this all the time?

Just about to reprint some number lines for garden as my old ones got wet in them and was thinking of laminating number labels to go on the trikes and scoot alongs.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And breathe....

Some links :
    music and dance : old but still relevant - dance section good :http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/ear...x?id=32614&p=0
    But my best dance resource/ stimulus is scarves and ribbons- we took our long wind ribbons outon the field this week and the wind made us all dance like the ribbons.

I love these podcasts - my lO's are showing signs of being auditory learners so listen well:BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Playtime (BBC Learning)
    I find a basket of instruments and a bag of things linking to their favourite songs is the most well used resource I have - plus cd they can work - I copy all the cd's so easy to renew if they get scratched. Play music in background at lunch - LO's take it in turn to choose and put on as part of lunch preparations.

Outdoor ' play' not just posters around numeracy and literacy : good ideas here : https://www.hope.ac.uk/media/liverpo...a,25538,en.pdf
    My garden is my hobby too so I only have natural play equipt that enhances my garden and doesn't obviously show that I spend my days playing with children. Mine like to draw on all the stones and slate, I have drawn numbers and letters on stones and slate and they love to bury, distribute, gather, look at, wash these : simple, cost nothing but they use all the time. I have made a photo number line - copied from cosy - of natural materials so 2 is made up of leaves on a mud background, 3 is acorns on grass 4 is conkers on gravel etc.. They like to copy these and find the correct natural material to go over the numbers ( I have baskets of loads of collected stuff that they use : good for counting, playing, hiding, mixing, burying, pretend cooking and picture making : conkers, acorns, pine cones, leaves, pebbles, stones, slate, twigs, seeds, poppy seed heads, sycamore seed heads, lumps of wood ).
    All my veg and flowers are labelled by writing on big stones or lumps of wood. Mark making things are in flower pots and stored in the children's greenhouse, a trug of water and brushes are a favourite on the stepping stones. I have a trolley in the shed with clip boards and laminated activity ideas - find....a brown leaf, a worm, etcc and they Mark when they have. Follow the numbers around the garden is a fav game - number pics giving clues on a number line - we have little animals too which they love to use pics to find - keep meaning to add initial sound to this and then it is 'literacy'! Chalks and strong sticks, brushes etc.. For Mark making is also kept in it, I just wheel it out and leave, sometimes used sometimes ignored. My best resource for those children that need quiet time out is a zen like tiny garden, with fine sand ( on a tray that goes in and out greenhouse) with sticks and tiny garden tools to draw with. It's in a hidden space with a mirror and some wind chimes ( that clatter in the wind at the moment - not so relaxing!)

Programmable toys?? I know they are great for directional work and problem solving ....but so expensive! We have some remote control coloured candles ( unwanted Christmas gift from a couple of years ago) in Diwali light work the LO's drew a sequence of coloured marks on a strip - then used the control to make the candles follow the sequence they had drawn.
    Most of my ICT is cause and affect things, remote control , cameras, torches etc... but I would argue that my LO's needed 1 and 2 button programmable toys first so these would fit that catagory. Though one LO loves to set the timer on the camera so That would tick programmable and they use the microwave when cooking and baking !

Hope some of these ideas off the top of my head work, but really, I think you are best to stick with what you offere day in, day out, don't do something new to tick a particular picky inspector, use your knowledge of her pet likes to make a comment in your SEF of what you do even if she doesn't see it on the day I am sure she will be happy to see it mentioned!

Good luck, and be confident in your good practise!

10. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Well in spite of saying recently that I didn't answer with held numbers I just let it go to answer machine, today I broke my own rule (really feeling like being rude to someone selling me something) and instead found I was talking to Ofsted inspector telling me she wanted to visit next week to do my overdue (5 1/2 years) inspection!!

Just as I answered the new baby mindee toppled over and started to cry so I picked her up to cuddle her but couldn't hear a word the Ofsted lady was saying - had to keep asking her to repeat things. So that's probably a black mark before she has even got here. Managed to delay her until week after next saying that I wasn't working much next week as it's half term - not completely true but I have got some of my older mindees back and they want to see me and their friends and go out on an outing, not be observed and cross examined by Ofsted.

Will be spending all weekend updating my SEF, have already done my homework and found what this inspection is "picky" about - any suggestions on the following statements greatly appreciated.

"opportunities for children to express themselves through music and dance not developed"

"Few opportunities for children to access programmable toys" -any suggestions on toys I could beg, steal or borrow?

"SEF doesn't include all areas of practice" - feel that's not fair to mention a SEF when it's not compulsory - not sure I have covered all areas of practice either, I have just waffled a lot!

"outdoor literacy and numeracy skills, play with words, letters, numbers as they play" - I do have some number lines to go outside and some butterflies with names of colours written on - any other suggestions without overdoing it or looking like I live in a Nursery?
    Relax...take a breath and you will probably find you are well ready for your inspection.

Inspectors have had their number withheld from the start...if we do not answer the phone Ofsted will follow it up with a letter saying they were unable to contact you...so it is best to be brave and tell any cold caller to go away and put the phone down on them than not answer when an inspector calls???

SEF will only be mentioned by Ofsted if you have offered it as your reflective tool....I am sure you are on top of that...follow the prompt on the SEF itself

Outdoor provision...feel confident to tell the inspector what you provide and what the children choose to do when out not forgetting you are out and about in the community unlike nurseries who take the extra mile to make outdoors a bit OTT sometimes??...do not put windmills or friezes up just to please the inspector...

Have EYFS...Conducting EY inspections and Evaluation schedule by your side...read them again and have them available on the day ready to challenge and have obscure judgements clarified

programmable toys...if you have a TV, radio, w/machine, d/washer, DVD player,...then programmable 'real technology'...is all around the children ...it does not have to be expensive gimmicky toys
    ..and finally you are not 'overdue' an inspection...you are well within the cycle determined by Ofsted and the inspector will know this

All that is left is to say: look forward to hearing all about your inspection!!! you will do well

12. Likes hectors house liked this post