Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help on accident happened during minding hours

HI
    I am doing after school pick up for 5 yr old boy. yesterday we went to a near by park for play. He was fine playing and running around, suddenly he opened the park fence gate and tried to run very quickly out but the iron fence bounced back on his face and his forehead got injured (got a 1cm deep cut on his forhead)

i tried to calm him down and stopped the bleeding , called his mom. we returned home and i ve given some first aid for him, we was fine. Later his mom took him to the urgent care unit and i was with her during examination. The doctors said the wound needs stitches. now the boy is with stitches and doing well and active.(he is been discharged after couple of hours)

I have recorded the situation and details in the incident book.

Do i need to inform the ofsted about this incident?

Thanks

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/documents...usinjuries.pdf

Check the link but I don't think so.

You should ring your insurance company though as the child has until age 21 to sue you, so you need to open a case.
    They will ask for a copy of your write up, add any comments from parents, screen prints of Facebook or text comments are a good idea.

You need to review your risk assessment too in the light of what happened.

Give your lado a ring too although I'm sure they will tell you they don't need to do anything.

Hugs to you it's horrid when the children hurt themselves. X
    Last edited by blue bear; 09-10-2014 at 08:27 PM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You only need to notify Ofsted if child breaks a bone or has treatment at hospital AND is admitted - your child was just treated in A & E. Agree though that you may want to phone insurance company and get a incident reference number to add on your incident/accident form - just in case your mindee decides that any visible scar has ruined his chances of being a Male Model when he is 21 !

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted Factsheet 110009 was the one to read, but can't find it online now... below is copied from my saved version from my PC:

You must notify us about:
    􀂄 the death of a child whilst in your care, or later, as the result of something that happened while the child was in your care
    􀂄 death or serious accident or serious injury to any other person on your premises (Childcare Register only)
    􀂄 serious injuries (please see the section below for the definition of serious injuries)
    􀂄 where a child in your care needs to go to an Accident and Emergency Department of a hospital (and requires hospitalisation for more than 24 hours), either directly from your provision or later, as the result of something that happened while the child was in your care
    􀂄 any significant event that is likely to affect the suitability to care for children.6
    We define serious injuries as:
    􀂄 broken bones or a fracture
    􀂄 loss of consciousness
    􀂄 pain that is not relieved by simple pain killers
    􀂄 acute confused state
    􀂄 persistent, severe chest pain or breathing difficulties
    􀂄 amputation
    􀂄 dislocation of any major joint including the shoulder, hip, knee, elbow or spine
    􀂄 loss of sight (temporary or permanent)
    􀂄 chemical or hot metal burn to the eye or any penetrating injury to the eye
    􀂄 injury resulting from an electric shock or electrical burn leading to unconsciousness, or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
    􀂄 any other injury leading to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or unconsciousness; or requiring resuscitation; or requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
    􀂄 unconsciousness caused by asphyxia or exposure to harmful substance or biological agent

july 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help on accident happened during minding hours

Thanks for the replies.