Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 13
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Contacting ofstead

I need to inform ofstead that I have a dog on the premises. How do I contact them so they can log it? Many thanks I advance

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just phone the telephone number on your Ofsted poster, it gives you options, key in your postcode, early years number etc and you can speak to someone who can log it for you. Over the 10 years I have been minding I have rarely kept them updated on which pets I currently have though, it's just written on my SEF.

Simona Guest

If you look at EYFS p31-32 it lists what you need to notify Ofsted for
    I don't think it applies to pets...unless I have missed this change... but you must Risk Assess and as said by HH put in your SEF if you do it

July 13
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, my local adviser said I should inform them that I have a dog . Have put him in all forms and have done him a little poster above he's bed for a nice reminder how to treat him. He's very much enjoying the attention.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chellewilks View Post
    Thank you ladies, my local adviser said I should inform them that I have a dog . Have put him in all forms and have done him a little poster above he's bed for a nice reminder how to treat him. He's very much enjoying the attention.
    When you have contacted Ofsted and told them you now have a dog...will you share with the forum if it was a requiredprocedure or just what your LA suggested?
    It would help to clarify this...thank you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Latest good practice advice is to inform them about any changes to your premises, health and anything that might affect your business or ways of working.

Inspectors keep telling cms that they should have let them know about things that are not in the requirements - so rather than second guessing all the time advice is to just let them know

Simona Guest

Thank you for that Sarah...interesting

I have to admit that I have not come across any different advice from EYFS 2014 or Ofsted regarding this and ...of course...good practice is not necessarily a statutory requirement?
    sorry that sounds very bad but I was thinking of any guidance that is recommended but not compulsory?

While I do agree that having a dog requires a RA.... I do not think it would change practice...but we are all different and because of that I believe we need to judge what is best for each of us as independent cms

It would be so helpful if the cm who posted the original question would feedback and report on what Ofsted say to her when she tells them about having a dog...that was a simple request and shows that even LAs give different advice
    I will contact Ofsted and enquire directly...it can't do any harm...can it?

I hear often in this forum that cms are told by inspectors to do things that are not required but no discussion is actually taking place on this so maybe this is happening on FB? as I am not a member I cannot reply to that and I also admit I do not access all the sections in this forum...so maybe I am missing the discussions?
    I do speak to cms but do not get the same ...so not sure what is going on?

unless we actually challenge 'unnecessary requests' inspectors will continue to require what is not needed and cms will continue to grow fear and anxiety about inspections...inspectors have a very clear guidance of what we require to do and what they need to ask.
    The same goes for LAs who continue to have 152 ways of doing things...this is very unhelpful.

As you are part of the OBC in your area I do hope you will raise this concerns ...I will certainly raise at the London group....it would be great to sort this matter out

8. Likes mum67 liked this post