Can you/is it worth complaining to Oftsed (about Ofsted!)??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you/is it worth complaining to Oftsed (about Ofsted!)??

I've been waiting for my pre-reg visit which seems to be taking an age! It's 14 weeks this week since I applied online to register, and 13 weeks since I received a letter from them saying they would be in touch (usually within 9 weeks) to arrange the visit. I have been ringing for the last few weeks and get the same every time - that they are waiting on social services. They are clearly getting fed up with you - you can tell their voices change when they log in and see I keep calling, and just tell me to leave it with them.

I doubt me complaining would get anywhere, but would you? It's more annoying as I spoke to them at the start of the process and did everything in the order they said would speed it all up - ie have DBS and health declaration completed ready to attach to the application online etc.

I was hoping to have started by now (my course was done in Feb) but it's looking more like September now I guess...assuming they ever come out...

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Julie

If Ofsted tell you they're waiting for Social Services checks, then they might actually be, er, well............ waiting for Social Services checks.

The more usual Ofsted fob-off is "waiting for CRB/DBS". That's what they kept telling me until I told them I'd received my CRB copy already. Then they actually checked the facts and said they were.............guess what: waiting for Social Services checks! I called the LA concerned (the one where I'd lived previously - they go back a few years and we'd moved recently.) Turned out mine had been done weeks earlier, but not my DW's - which was then found under a clerk's desk.

So IIWY, I'd lay off Ofsted for a bit and use your time to chase up the Social Services department.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bunyip. If Ofsted are waiting for Social Services, no amount of hassling them will speed things up.

I supported a new childminder a while back who was waiting months & months for Ofsted to get in touch and was told the hold up was with social services. I contacted our Early Years team who looked into it. It turned out that the person who dealt with it had been signed off sick, they had no idea how long he would be off for...and there was no one assigned to take over his work. It was all just building up in a big pile on his desk with no one making any effort to sort it out

All I can suggest is that you find out who to contact at Social Services and start phoning them instead

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Julie,

I'm in the same position as you, each time I contact Ofsted they tell me they are waiting for my Social Services checks from my LA before they can arrange a visit.

I got onto our local Counsellor last week and she's chasing Social Services up for me to check where there up to. Fingers crossed!

I would definitely try and chase Social Services up. Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks everyone....I did ask Ofsted if I can chase social services myself and they said I couldn't. I'll have a look for a number....

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieH View Post
    Ok thanks everyone....I did ask Ofsted if I can chase social services myself and they said I couldn't. I'll have a look for a number....
    Ui also got told I couldn't chase myself but within 2 days of doing so it was on ofsteds desk. I would strongly recommend chasing ss yourself.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think pacey may have a webinar training thingy called "How to Successfully Complain to Ofsted".

It's listed next to the one called "How to Nail Jelly to the Ceiling."

8. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Ui also got told I couldn't chase myself but within 2 days of doing so it was on ofsteds desk. I would strongly recommend chasing ss yourself.
    Blimey - that's mad! Was there any particular department or did you just contact the main ss in your area?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey - that's mad! Was there any particular department or did you just contact the main ss in your area?
    I had an ss lady who was helping organise care for my gran who kindly gave me the number. I think you could just call your local dept and ask x

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I had an ss lady who was helping organise care for my gran who kindly gave me the number. I think you could just call your local dept and ask x

OK great, thank you for that...I'll have a look for the number. xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

OK great, thank you for that...I'll have a look for the number. xx
    No worries x hope they sort yours as easily as they did mine x

13. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...I've spoken to my childminder co-ordinator who suggested I raise a complaint with Ofsted, but I'm not going to - I think complaining before they've been to inspect might not be the best move! :-)

I have spoken to Ofsted again and they've just said the same thing, and that I can't contact social services as they won't deal with me. So back to waiting.

On another note, I've spoken to a few local childminders and they all think I should be advertising to take children on from September. Sounds like a good idea but just worries me putting a time to it...