first grading inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default first grading inspection

Hello all just wondered for those who have recently had their first grading inspection how closely did the inspector look at your planning/obs etc or were you just asked questions?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector definitely gave it some attention. But she was more interested in the children's starting points and how they were developing. You really do need to show you're planning for their future learning but they don't expect reams of paper

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hun. I guess as long as i have some idea of where we are headed within the 7 areas od learning im ok? Have written a starting points for each child and next steps

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine but you do need to show some type of planning which links to next steps. I did a yearly, monthly and weekly plan

Good luck x

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

My weekly plan has a box for me to add any quick obs and any obvious next steps. My monthly plan has a next steps box where I can add the next steps for future planning. And finally my observations sheet has a next steps column.
    So I have next steps section on all 3 of my main sheets. Any long obs I do have a next steps section too.
    Ive then used any next steps ive identified I have used to base my planned activities or add to my continuous provision eg my 3yo mindee is really into dinosaurs so ive picked up a dinosaur book for our bookshelf and dinosaur sponges for craft box. Does that make sense?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're definitely doing what's required, if not more. Sure you'll be absolutely fine. My mindee also into dinosaurs. We picked up books from the library just yesterday!

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks kay :-) where abouts are you?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheshire. Whereabouts are you?

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Bucks miles away lol how long have u been a cm

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha yeah quite far! Only since September so not long at all. Had my inspection 20 feb and was such a relief to get it over with! Feel I can relax and enjoy my job now. How about you?

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Only got registered in feb this year took ages to get that far. Have worked in nurseries for years and have 2 boys of my own. What was your grading?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the registration does take forever! Took me almost a year!
    I got a good. I was very pleased with that as apparently it's not easy to get a good as a new Childminder and within the new EYFS. Good luck for yours!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misskft View Post
    Hello all just wondered for those who have recently had their first grading inspection how closely did the inspector look at your planning/obs etc or were you just asked questions?
    Definitely looked at my planning - It was too far in advance (yearly) so hadn't always taken into account childrens current interests, which I already knew and was looking to change (I explained why it hadn't worked and what I was looking to do in the future, which she was happy with, so put that as my goal)

Looked at my observations and had me explain how I linked the obs to development and next steps.

Asked lots of questions, which I answered verbally but was also able to show the physical evidence of my answer. No point saying I do x, y and z, if you have nothing to back it up.
    For example:
    She asked how many observations I was doing on one particular child, and the answer was pretty much 2 or 3 a week, sometimes it had been 2 a day! That's way too much she replied, yes I know I answered, but x is 11 months old and every session does something totally new so that's why there's so many! I'm hoping x will slow down soon coz I can't keep up ha ha ha.

Try not to get yourself in a tizz - easier said than done I know, I lost all my confidence when I got the call - feel confident about what your doing, understand why you're doing it the way you are, and point out how and why you've changed it from when you first started (that shows development)
    Good luck

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats fantastic well done! I would lve a good. I hear ofsted like to see resources labelled are yours?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they all were labelled they're big on that. They are really big on a rich print environment so as many posters promoting heathy eating and diversity etc!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes I label resources that aren't in clear see through boxes, but that wasn't mentioned.
    I'm not very 'print rich' in terms of labels and posters everywhere (this is still my home), however, that said, I am very strong on literacy, we love books here, from touchy feely and fabric books, all the way through to books about feelings and emotions, different people, significant events (new baby, starting school, etc), and a set of childrens encyclopedia that my own children had when they were little, and which are well used now by the older mindees.
    I also explained how I encourage word recognition when we are out and about
    (Think it also helped that whilst we were talking a LO asked to show their favourite book and fetched it from the books box to show the inspector, who had only been with me a week lol)

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely thanks! Am getting an a4 poster pocket thing to hang on playroom door

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Yes I label resources that aren't in clear see through boxes, but that wasn't mentioned.
    I'm not very 'print rich' in terms of labels and posters everywhere (this is still my home), however, that said, I am very strong on literacy, we love books here, from touchy feely and fabric books, all the way through to books about feelings and emotions, different people, significant events (new baby, starting school, etc), and a set of childrens encyclopedia that my own children had when they were little, and which are well used now by the older mindees.
    I also explained how I encourage word recognition when we are out and about
    (Think it also helped that whilst we were talking a LO asked to show their favourite book and fetched it from the books box to show the inspector, who had only been with me a week lol)
    Exactly its my home not a nursery so looking for posters I can put away I only work 3 days a wk