Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Negative Ofsted Inspections

Have you had any negative experiences during your Ofsted inspections?

Have inspectors said things to you which you do not think are right?

If so, will you please share them with me for something I am writing - confidentiality assured.

Please pm me if you would prefer not to write it on the forum.

Thank you!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    My prospect inspector said three things that I didnt like

'Childminders dont really get Outstanding. Its usually nurseries that get outstanding because the are bigger with more networks and SEN children'

'I cant give you Outstanding because you are not part of a network of other childminders'

'You wouldnt want Outstanding anyway'

Im still waiting to get my report to read what it says

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you JCrakers ... and to those who have sent me pms!

Any more feedback gratefully received

Pipsqueak Guest

You HAVE to use socket covers
    The 'calibre' of children you are currently caring for will affect the grade
    You have to produce your car insurance details otherwise I will have to mark you down

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector told me the carpet in the conservatory wasn't clean enough. She then said" I see you have a carpet cleaner there, do you have any intention of ever using it?"

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Pips... i've heard the socket cover one a few times and have a quote from the Ofsted newsletter covering that one.

Car insurance... i've not heard that but I do know a childminder who was marked down for not going upstairs to get her driving licence - she had 3 children with her and couldn't face taking them all up. With hindsight maybe she could have put all her car documents together in her risk assessment file.... hmmm interesting one I'll have a think.

Calibre of children - totally unacceptable comment! Inspector needs sacking - sadly won't be because it's the childminder's word against the inspectors so they won't make a judgement.

Thank you!! Please keep them coming

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    My inspector told me the carpet in the conservatory wasn't clean enough. She then said" I see you have a carpet cleaner there, do you have any intention of ever using it?"
    This is a recurring theme - unprofessional and unkind comments from inspectors.

Sadly as there is no proof it was ever said it's hard to make a complaint - however we should be complaining!!

If enough of us complain then the evidence against these inspectors will start to grow and they will have to take notice.

Thank you for sharing Sylvia xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i had an inspector be incredibly stroppy on the phone when i had to cancel my inspection due to my own child being ill. she then got stroppy and told me i had to make myself available, when i said i would be unable to do either of the other 2 days she suggested as my ds had hospital appointments to find out WHY he was ill! she asked if anyone else could take him. i said DH and i were going together.

but then, when she came, she was really nice! i think she was just frustrated, as was i, that we couldn't arrange the inspection !!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    i had an inspector be incredibly stroppy on the phone when i had to cancel my inspection due to my own child being ill. she then got stroppy and told me i had to make myself available, when i said i would be unable to do either of the other 2 days she suggested as my ds had hospital appointments to find out WHY he was ill! she asked if anyone else could take him. i said DH and i were going together.

but then, when she came, she was really nice! i think she was just frustrated, as was i, that we couldn't arrange the inspection !!!
    I think this one shows that Ofsted inspectors are human and like all of us they sometimes get frustrated!

It's just as well you didn't complain I suppose given your eventual grading from her...

Thank you so much for sharing - this is really helping me!

Keep them coming guys please

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Thank you Pips... i've heard the socket cover one a few times and have a quote from the Ofsted newsletter covering that one.

Car insurance... i've not heard that but I do know a childminder who was marked down for not going upstairs to get her driving licence - she had 3 children with her and couldn't face taking them all up. With hindsight maybe she could have put all her car documents together in her risk assessment file.... hmmm interesting one I'll have a think.

Calibre of children - totally unacceptable comment! Inspector needs sacking - sadly won't be because it's the childminder's word against the inspectors so they won't make a judgement.

Thank you!! Please keep them coming
    thing is Sarah - normally all that IS kept in my file - however my hubby had the documents for something he had to do! Thankfully he came in as my inspection was ending and i could prove that I hate the relevant docs.

Oh yes - the same inspector inspected my friend on the friday (and gave her outstanding - rightly so) and then inspected me on the monday told us TWO different things about LJ's for reception aged children - I do a continuation of LJ's as I would for little ones - apparently I was not doing enough and the next steps needed to be furthered for this age group.. yet my friend stops the formal LJ and just does a scrapbook with minimal comments and links, no next steps etc....

go figure

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post

Oh yes - the same inspector inspected my friend on the friday (and gave her outstanding - rightly so) and then inspected me on the monday told us TWO different things about LJ's for reception aged children - I do a continuation of LJ's as I would for little ones - apparently I was not doing enough and the next steps needed to be furthered for this age group.. yet my friend stops the formal LJ and just does a scrapbook with minimal comments and links, no next steps etc....

go figure
    Now that's the kind of thing which... if mentioned in the report... can be complained about so the wording is changed.

You can use the Eyfs which states that you should be providing complementary care and other relevant quotes to fight it.

However if it was just a comment and not in the report again there's little that can be done because it's one word against the other.

Ho hum it's becoming more and more clear they are a law unto themselves.

But they shouldn't be! This shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine told me after 2 minutes of being here that I will get a GOOD as that is what she gathered from my SEF - she hadn't even started my inspection

She told me she had to leave after 2 hours as she didn't want to put more money on the car meter.

She told me that I wouldn't want Outstanding as I would have nothing to work for (I told her I did want an OUtstanding and why I deserved one )

She informed me that she didn't want to see any paperwork at all and she was happy to just drink tea and chat about bringing up our own children.

Not what I was expecting.....
    “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

to some of the comments

nothing to report mine have always been nice! dreading the next (over due from Nov 11!!) one

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

One of mine told me that she decides the grade as soon as she walks in the door and sees your childminding room

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Before my last inspection, before she had even stepped through the door I was told that she already knew what grade she was going to give me, and she never changes her mind.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine hadn't read my SEF beforehand because it wouldn't load on to the system- I explained it to her over the phone and she said she would read it while she was here. She didn't, so I asked if she would like to take a copy with her. She took it and posted it back with a little note of the front saying 'well written' or something along those lines. I was gutted to be honest, not sure what I expected her to say but that SEF took me HOURS! I wondered why we even have to do one if some inspectors aren't even interested in reading it.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Now that's the kind of thing which... if mentioned in the report... can be complained about so the wording is changed.

You can use the Eyfs which states that you should be providing complementary care and other relevant quotes to fight it.

However if it was just a comment and not in the report again there's little that can be done because it's one word against the other.

Ho hum it's becoming more and more clear they are a law unto themselves.

But they shouldn't be! This shouldn't be allowed to continue.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    No nothing was in my report - I think she was extremely savvy in that respect (as most of them are) say something and not put it in the report because then its just your word against theirs (and hey why on earth would an inspector lie!)

All of her comments were only verbal.

I really got the impression she'd given her allocated 'outstanding' already that month (to my friend) and she wasn't going to go over her quota (can you tell I am still bitter lol)

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I should think Sarah you will be able to re-write 'war and peace', with all the information provided! We have always been very lucky with inspectors apart from one that gave Mick good on the grounds that he was part time However we had our pilot inspection on Monday for the new inspection to rolled out in September. We spoke at length about some of the comments we had heard over the years. She said unfortunately inspections will be always open to personal interpretation, however many of the unfair comments should not be said and should be complained about.

I will try and do more feed back on the experience when I have a bit more time. Unfortunately for us it was not a brilliant experience as the children in our care were hideous on that day and the 5 hour inspection felt like a week One thing that was evident and came across very clearly was the emphasis is very much switching from focussing on the welfare requirements to concentrating on the learning and development experince the children receive. They will want to see how the children are helped to keep safe (observing your practice) but they do not want reems of paper work and tick lists; which personally I think is fab As soon as my current assignment is submitted to uni next week, I will try and evaluate the inspection alittle more. Hth

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieA View Post
    Before my last inspection, before she had even stepped through the door I was told that she already knew what grade she was going to give me, and she never changes her mind.
    Exactly what mine said, you dont live on the South Coast do you

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My first grading inspection -
    Rang booked appointment (days they may come) on last day rang at 9am to say had an emergency wouldn't be able to come
    rescheduled - she had it in her diary on a different date than the one she said so again another week of not turning up.
    Third time lucky a different inspector turned as the one who was meant to call was called to another emergency.
    The inspector that turned up - first words out of her mouth "You will not get Outstanding as no childminder gets outstanding on their first inspection"
    Left me feeling very out of sorts even though I got a good. She said "your very close to outstanding but I do not give outstanding on a first inspection".

Second inspection was far better though - same inspector who visited the first time and got an outstanding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast