Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My concern with this is that it will make it so easy for parents to find our registration number and full address information which is not so easy at the moment unless there are very few childminders in the area you live.

I know that my number has been used for fraudulant purposes by a parent coming to see me, being all positive and wanting to go ahead. They took the contract away (with my number on it) and never heard from them again. In the meantime I will guarantee that WFTC is being claimed against it!

I will not be giving permission to have my full details shown all at once. I am not worried about people calling unexpectedly but I want to make it more difficult for the fraudsters!
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacey View Post
    With the issue of tracing individuals childminders its already possible for those that have registered with ICO to be tracked.
    Just by typing in the childminders name throws up their ICO entry.
    I have just tried that and can't get any answers let alone addresses. If you re able to then maybe you should complain to them about disclosing personal details under the data protection act?

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say the same as daftbat. Publishing our names, full addressess and registration numbers all in the same place is just asking for people to fraudulently use it to claim WTC, and we wouldn't even know!

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    So if this is the advise of an inspector why are Ofsted doing it! It makes me laugh.
    Ofsted aren't part of the inspectors these are a different company as they wanted to save money- she explained this is why we have to wait to be inspected for abit of time.. If they worked as a team instead of thinking of money all the time maybe they would give the same information. Silly isn't it.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just tried that and can't get any answers let alone addresses. If you re able to then maybe you should complain to them about disclosing personal details under the data protection act?
    We tried this to and could not get an address

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe they are going to get rid of FIS?
    One life live it

Feb 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I only stumbled across this as I do not like any of my details appearing, where I haven't put them, and I was curious about what data / information is "out there" and how easy it was to find things out by cross referencing various websites/information noticeboards.

I think you have to enter the name exactly as it appears on the register entry, and it will only be those that have registered and paid the fee.

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My local FIS rang up in November asking whether they could publish my address. I hesitated at first and couldn't make a decision straight away. After talking to a few other local childminders, I realised that most had done this, and if I wanted to get work through the FIS (which has been about half of my mindees), I would have to agree. However, my address and Ofsted number is on Ofsted report which is easily available online, and I'm registered with the ICO, so my details are out there.

Amy

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am registered with the ICO but told them I did not want my full address published, they quite happily did this just putting the road I lived in

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockatoos View Post
    My local FIS rang up in November asking whether they could publish my address. I hesitated at first and couldn't make a decision straight away. After talking to a few other local childminders, I realised that most had done this, and if I wanted to get work through the FIS (which has been about half of my mindees), I would have to agree. However, my address and Ofsted number is on Ofsted report which is easily available online, and I'm registered with the ICO, so my details are out there.

Amy
    Your address should not be online on your report? It is on our Certificates but not on our reports.

I do not have my address on FIS nor do any of the childminders in my area, we have phone numbers and most have an email address. It is entirely you choice to have it published.

ICO will leave your address off the details as well is you ask them to.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 27-01-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie1989 View Post
    Ofsted aren't part of the inspectors these are a different company as they wanted to save money- she explained this is why we have to wait to be inspected for abit of time.. If they worked as a team instead of thinking of money all the time maybe they would give the same information. Silly isn't it.
    Yes that is true but it is Ofsted who employ the Companies and dictate the terms they work under so Prospects and Tribal work according to strict guidelines laid down by Ofsted.

I found this out during my Inspection process in Sept when i asked the Inspector to approve a simple variation and she refused point blank saying Ofsted should do it as she was only part time and couldn't. I rang Ofsted and the guy went mad, rang the inspecting company and told them to do it that day or else! It was done within 2 hours!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I ripped mine up but I have my full address with FIS. My details are readily available from the electrol role if someone really wants it.
    Debbie

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will give my consent. I haven’t quite made up my mind but there are many reasons for giving parents easier access to childcare information, one of the main ones is it makes life easier for them to find childminders. In my experience far too few parents know anything about the FIS, they tend to ask friends, the health visitor (who may or may not know what childminding is these days (ie equal to nurseries) or they stumble about getting phone numbers off ‘someone who knows someone who they think looks after children’. Anything that makes it as easy to find out about Registered Childminders as it is finding out about the local nursery/pre-school is got to be good and a step in the right direction.
    Anyone worried about their vulnerability as a sole worker can stay anonymous by just not replying to the Ofsted letter.
    However, before anyone makes that decision they should know that it is already fairly easy to find out allsorts of details about anyone, and being childminders we are not really at any more of a risk than the ‘lady down the road with a young family’. In fact we are probably (hopefully) more savvy about who we allow into our lives, our security arrangements (secure premises, gardens, practice, CRB checks on regular visitors etc) and ‘lady down the road with a young family’ will be a much better bet for any paedophile. One positive outcome of childminders being more easily recognised is ‘visible childminding’. Many childminders these days have websites or wear a uniform or have adverts on their cars, and I don’t think these things have lead to a wave of abductions of childminding children……they have maybe helped raise the standard of childminding in general.
    We are protected by data protection but that doesn’t stop information appearing online that has been gleaned from various sources and copied by countless search sites. At least the information that Ofsted have will (hopefully) be accurate.
    Unscrupulous parents using my number doesn’t bother me, I do hate the thought of someone fraudulently obtaining money and diddling the system however I’m not responsible for the actions of cheats. They can already get my number easily enough by asking me for it- I am required to give out when I’m asked.
    As I say if you don’t want Ofsted to print your details, for whatever reason, then do nothing and they will only show your number against your registration & report.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is true but it is Ofsted who employ the Companies and dictate the terms they work under so Prospects and Tribal work according to strict guidelines laid down by Ofsted.

I found this out during my Inspection process in Sept when i asked the Inspector to approve a simple variation and she refused point blank saying Ofsted should do it as she was only part time and couldn't. I rang Ofsted and the guy went mad, rang the inspecting company and told them to do it that day or else! It was done within 2 hours!!!
    Its a shame they dont work together instead of under each other.. Nothings easy anymore

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I was going to say the same as daftbat. Publishing our names, full addressess and registration numbers all in the same place is just asking for people to fraudulently use it to claim WTC, and we wouldn't even know!

xxx
    we were wondering if this could happen as well as tax credits dont check that often.

However, I have decided to allow Ofsted to publish my details to see if it will make a difference getting enquires. Parents seem to struggle to find information about childminders in this area. This is the only pro I can think of.
    I have deiced to try it for 6 months and if it makes no difference then I will be requesting they remove my details. However My husband also works with me so im not on my own in the house so im not sure if I would opt in if it wasnt for this

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default giving out full address

I am not happy about this request. I have asked ofsted if we can meet half way and just drop the house number but the answer is no. I was at a group this morning and we all agreed that we would like to give out our details but draw the line at house number. I have emailed NCMA. I wonder if enough of us do the same if they will consult with Ofsted as we would like to meet half way. All we ask is that name, telephone and address minus house number should suffice. It is too much to reply all or nothing

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debhemsley View Post
    I am not happy about this request. I have asked ofsted if we can meet half way and just drop the house number but the answer is no. I was at a group this morning and we all agreed that we would like to give out our details but draw the line at house number. I have emailed NCMA. I wonder if enough of us do the same if they will consult with Ofsted as we would like to meet half way. All we ask is that name, telephone and address minus house number should suffice. It is too much to reply all or nothing
    That is the trouble. NCMA have apparently consulted with Ofsted over this and we should be 'grateful' that they have made this request optional!!! NCMA should have been campaigning to stop them even asking us for it.

Unfortunately I am unable to go to my NCMA Regional Forum Meeting on Saturday, 3rd one I have had to miss because I have my Level 3 Diploma Study day.

I think the best way for us to complain is by writing to Ofsted and copying to NCMA. The addresses won't be put online until Sept so there could be a chance if enough of us write they may think twice.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rickysmiths;1046404]That is the trouble. NCMA have apparently consulted with Ofsted over this and we should be 'grateful' that they have made this request optional!!! NCMA should have been campaigning to stop them even asking us for it.

Unfortunately I am unable to go to my NCMA Regional Forum Meeting on Saturday, 3rd one I have had to miss because I have my Level 3 Diploma Study day.

I think the best way for us to complain is by writing to Ofsted and copying to NCMA. The addresses won't be put online until Sept so there could be a chance if enough of us write they may think twice.[/QUOTE

Why should NCMA be campaigning to stop Ofsted asking us if we would like our details on the Ofsted site with our reports?
    I'm an NCMA member and my sentiments echo Winnie's. You don't want your details there and now you have the choice not to have them there. I really don't get why you think we should all be writing and complaining.
    Carol x
    Last edited by Carol M; 01-02-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I dont mind having my details listed but we would like to remove the house number everything else can be listed. I don't think that is asking too much. I want to meet halfway therefore I feel that Ofsted will get far more childminders sign up if they remove house number.
    Last edited by Tazmin68; 01-02-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I did also contact ICO and they have removed the house number and left everything else. It seems that ICO which is a gov department can easily drop the house number yet OFSTED cannot!!!

I have just had a call from ICO and they have said that they cannot remove the house number but if we pay for a PO box address then we can do that or they suggested give out a network coordinator's details instead at least on the ICO website it does not state that we are childminders and does not indicate that we work from home
    Last edited by Tazmin68; 02-02-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast