Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does my certificate include my own children in ratio

Hi

I am new to childminding and just wondering if where my certificate says 4 children under 8 does this include my two children? i have a 1 year old and a 4 year old who is not yet in school then a 10 month old mindee but i have a parent looking for after school care for a 5 and 7 year old. i dont wnat to take them on and be over.

Thanks

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No it doesn't include your own children, they will have been considered when Ofsted decided the number on your certificate. you can have 4 minded children. Contact them to send a new certificate when your children reach a different 'stage' e.g. become 8 yrs or start full time education (reception ) as this will free up more spaces .

hope this helps,

bws,
    Wendy

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes your own children are within the numbers I'm afraid. so including your 2 & the 10 month old you are full in your early years spots until you eldest is in full time school.

If the 5 year old is in full time school which he should be you are OK....

(oh maybe I have read it wrong, now I'm confusing myself)
    Last edited by maryp0ppins; 20-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    wow 2012 already

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm... a difference of opinion

I'd give ofsted a call to confirm either way

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When Ofsted write your certificate they have already taken your own two into account so the number on your certificate is the number of mindees you can have. You could therefore care for four minded children in addition to your own. HTH

BuggsieMoo Guest

Hi
    No your certificate means you can have 4 children (in the age range specified on your certificate) as mindees PLUS your own children. You are allowed to care for a maximum of 6 children under 8 at any one time so 4 mindees and your 2 under 8 = 6 in total.
    x

sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Thank you for your help everyone i did think thats what it meant but thought id better double check before i took on more children. i do think it should mention your own children on the certificate tho. Just have to remember to give them a ring when my son starts school in september. xx

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by saz201 View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for your help everyone i did think thats what it meant but thought id better double check before i took on more children. i do think it should mention your own children on the certificate tho. Just have to remember to give them a ring when my son starts school in september. xx
    When your sons starts, they wont amend it until he is in full time sessions (Most reception years do half days for a while). When he is then they will add the clause of "when caring for 4 or 5 year old children in full time education may increase the ratio to allow extra in the EYFS age range during this period" or words to that effect. Its really important you get this added if you want to increase later on otherwise you will be over your numbers should you increase.

Good luck x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuggsieMoo View Post
    When your sons starts, they wont amend it until he is in full time sessions (Most reception years do half days for a while). When he is then they will add the clause of "when caring for 4 or 5 year old children in full time education may increase the ratio to allow extra in the EYFS age range during this period" or words to that effect. Its really important you get this added if you want to increase later on otherwise you will be over your numbers should you increase.

Good luck x
    That's not quite accurate. The extra clause only covers MINDED children. If it's for your own child Ofsted amend the actual numbers on the certificate. So if you are registered for 4 children under 8, only 1 of which can be in the EY age range, this will be altered to 4 children, of which 2 can be in the EY age range.

The clause will be needed though to cover the proposed 5yr old mindee if he is in reception class (technically until 31st Aug after his 5th birthday).

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's not quite accurate. The extra clause only covers MINDED children. If it's for your own child Ofsted amend the actual numbers on the certificate. So if you are registered for 4 children under 8, only 1 of which can be in the EY age range, this will be altered to 4 children, of which 2 can be in the EY age range.

The clause will be needed though to cover the proposed 5yr old mindee if he is in reception class (technically until 31st Aug after his 5th birthday).
    When my LO started full time school last year this clause was added to my certificate then (well when they started full time and not the half days). I spoke to Oftsed re this and they said they do it for your own children. I was allowed 4 prior to this 2 in the eyfs age range and 2 up to 8 years. This did not change when they added this clause - just that I could have more in the eyfs age range whilst LO was at school IYSWIM. However I do think Ofsted are a law unto themselves at times so it may be different for others, I can only speak of my personal experiences.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuggsieMoo View Post
    When my LO started full time school last year this clause was added to my certificate then (well when they started full time and not the half days). I spoke to Oftsed re this and they said they do it for your own children. I was allowed 4 prior to this 2 in the eyfs age range and 2 up to 8 years. This did not change when they added this clause - just that I could have more in the eyfs age range whilst LO was at school IYSWIM. However I do think Ofsted are a law unto themselves at times so it may be different for others, I can only speak of my personal experiences.
    I think I'd have queried it again. The problem is the numbers on your certificate are the ones you have to stick to and they only relate to minded children. If your certificate still says you can only have 2 in the EYFS age range, then that is all you can have (unless any of your mindees are at full time school). If you're have 3 pre- school EYFS children at a time then you are over your numbers.

At least that's how it did work. Who's to know with ofsted

BuggsieMoo Guest

Hi Mouse

I mind 6 children and have 4 of my own. My own are 10, 8, 6 and 4 (so only my 6 and 4 year old are counted by ofsted). I then mind a 17 month old, a 23 month old (so my birth - 5 years) a 5 year old and a 6 year old (who is my rising 5's and 5-8 year old) and 2 9 year olds (again not an issue with Ofsted as checked all before taking on) and I am insured for 12 children (not including my own) at any one time.

I do agree though that half the time what you get told is contridictory to what someone else is told.

I have no plans to take on any more mindees - even though I do have a vacancy on a Monday and Tuesday (some of my mindees are part time) and one parent is no longer working so unless she gets another job then mindee will be leaving as I am busy enough as it is.
    Bugs x

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your own children are in addition to the numbers specified on your certificate, I had this very query with Ofsted a couple of months ago and spoke to Ofsted and they clarified it very clearly. So if it says you can look after 4 children under 8 and 2 of those can be in the early years, you can have that many children and your own on top. If one of your own goes to school phone them and get your certificate updated with the new numbers.

mar 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I have recently altered my numbers as one of my own turned 8 and another turned 5yrs old. (she started school at 4yrs and 2mths) As for the numbers on your certificate, you have to include your own children...they are not on top of your ratios.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clareg View Post
    I have recently altered my numbers as one of my own turned 8 and another turned 5yrs old. (she started school at 4yrs and 2mths) As for the numbers on your certificate, you have to include your own children...they are not on top of your ratios.
    It seems to be quite confusing.

If you are in England, the numbers on your certificate are the numbers of MINDED children you can have. Your own children have already been taken into account, so are on top of the number on your certificate

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was wondering about the FTE thing - if a child is in FTE and age 4 then he/she moves into the older age group.

BUT I thought when applied to your own 4 year old child it was effective from the 1st September - so as soon as they move into that year group - even if they don't start full time - I thought you could request to have your numbers amended?

Can someone please confirm which is right when it comes to your own child?

As far as your registration certificate is concerned and your numbers I would phone Ofsted and confirm what applies to you as there seems to be a lot of contradictory advice on this post. I am registered for 4 children so phoned Ofsted to check and this was definitely (in my case), correct - 4 minded children PLUS my own 2 children!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I have another question about this, I have an almost 3 year old and an almost 5 year old so I'm assuming I will be able to have 2 additional under 5s? BUT my 2 year old will be in preschool for 3 hours every morning from September so I would only be able to have only 2, even if someone wanted mindee to attend for 2.5 hours in a morning?
    Also what if say in the summer holidays my parents took my girls off to the seaside for a week, I wouldn't be able to mind for 2 extra in their place?