Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A little disappointed - 1st Inspection

I had my first inspection for a grading on Thursday and only got Satisfactory overall...really disappointed as was hoping for a good...it definately seems as though all the inspectors are different and look at different things from looking at this forum. The lady was so lovely, and she said she wanted to grade me as good, but I didn't qualify for it as I didn't have any diversified toys and I hadn't finished by SEF (I had made a good start)...I only hav a 6 month old in the EYFS - anyone know of diversified toys for babies??!! she didn't look at anything around the house - not even the back garden or downstairs toilet - and she didn't check any safety things...

I really wish they would be more consistent. And It really sucks that the next inspection is so far away - I would really love to get re-assessed soon as it would be a good selling point - and could do with more children.

Sorry to rant - will stop now and just be grateful its all over

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be disappointed, most parents who come to see you will visit before they read the report and there is nothing wrong with satisfactory, it means you have met all the requirements. If it makes you feel better put together an action plan to show parents before they see the report so you can answer any questions before they come up. The inspector who did my initial inspection said I didnt have enough multicultural stuff, the next one didnt even mention it. As far as I know you dont have to finish your SEF but I did it because I felt it was a good way to sell myself before I got all flustered.

Diversity items I have -
    Babies and dolls of different races and abilities
    Multicultural musical instruments
    Fuzzy felts (probably not for babies!)
    Books which show different cultures, races, disabilities etc
    I print out posters to put up for various festivals through the year, also a welcome poster with pictures of children on
    Multicultural cooking items eg chinese bowls
    Multicultural food
    Multicultural cds
    Puzzles - print out pictures of people around the world, laminate if you can and chop them into pieces for kids to play with
    Plan for multicultural festivals, get some lychees and fortune cookies for chinese new year and put up some decorations.

As you go on you will build stuff up gradually, you dont have to rush out and spend lots of money. And now you can breathe, you have got through your inspection

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

You did well, satisfactory is not bad at all and it takes a lot of work to get that grade. Try not to beat yourself up. You have worked hard and I bet the families you work for are more than happy with your service. It is a long time to wait for a another chance but it gives you a chance to make any changes to improve. And it is sad that the inspector didn't see everything you've put so much effort into, I'm surprised she didn't visit all of your house and look at safety precautions. Well done and keep up the good work x.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be disappointed with satisfactory

The inspector was happy with what she saw, and her recommendations to buy diversity resources will happen in time.

Not one of my parents have asked about my report until after they have decided they want to leave their child with me and I think that grading means a lot more to us as childminders than it does to them.

I am sure it will not affect your ability to get mindees as parents usually go on their gut feelings and whether they "gel" with you, not the opinions of an inspector who only spends a few hours with you on one day.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My sister went to a CM and my sister said she was lovely, really welcoming and calming personality. My sister did ask about her Ofsted report and the CM said it was a satisfactory and showed her a folder of the things that needed improving, how she improved them and when. She also explained it was her very first inspection.

When my sister called me to tell me about the visit she said she did even pay any attention to the report as she could see for herself that the CM was a decent person. Most people get a "vibe" and I think alot of decision made about childcare is how personable you are.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Also re the SEF, my friend recently had her grading and got a good and she said that it didnt matter too much about the SEF because she was just starting out and at least it was started

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DH just got a good and didn't even start a SEF let alone finish it !

Don't be disappointed with a satisfactory it means you are meeting all the standards.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Diversity isn't just about multicultural resources, you can also have things that break the gender stereotype, for example pictures/posters of women doctors, male nurses, woman builders, bus drivers etc etc.

With regard to the SEF, I didn't do it and got outstanding. It is not a requirement for childminders to do the SEF as long as they can show they reflect on their practice in some way (mine is/was in my diary)

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for getting through your 1st inspection.

Dont be too disappointed with satisfactory, your are meeting the requirements and now you have 3ish years to improve everything you are doing.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all your comments, I feel much better and am going to get an action plan in place to show parents in case they do have concerns (it will also help get me ready for the next one).

But thank you so much - your comments have really helped :-)

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default me too

Quote Originally Posted by Louise85 View Post
    I had my first inspection for a grading on Thursday and only got Satisfactory overall...really disappointed as was hoping for a good...it definately seems as though all the inspectors are different and look at different things from looking at this forum. The lady was so lovely, and she said she wanted to grade me as good, but I didn't qualify for it as I didn't have any diversified toys and I hadn't finished by SEF (I had made a good start)...I only hav a 6 month old in the EYFS - anyone know of diversified toys for babies??!! she didn't look at anything around the house - not even the back garden or downstairs toilet - and she didn't check any safety things...

I really wish they would be more consistent. And It really sucks that the next inspection is so far away - I would really love to get re-assessed soon as it would be a good selling point - and could do with more children.

Sorry to rant - will stop now and just be grateful its all over
    Hi I know how your feeling i had mine today exactly the same and i thought i was actually doing ok through it but i havent started my sef so that gave me a hammering and ive only just started ! oh well we can only get better x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liddym View Post
    Hi I know how your feeling i had mine today exactly the same and i thought i was actually doing ok through it but i havent started my sef so that gave me a hammering and ive only just started ! oh well we can only get better x
    Try not to be too disappointed - satisfactory means you are doing everything that's required, it's just such a horrible word.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for getting through it! At least you have got something clear to focus on for next time and can gradually build up your resources. You could get together some multi-cultural music to have on in the background, whatever age you have. You could also put together a little treasure basket of multi-cultural items - Indian bangles, Chinese bowls/spoons, some beautiful peices of fabric from other cultures. Collect pictures from magazines or posters which show diversity in a positive light and put some up around your home. Well done again.x