Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maximum number of children

I currently have a maximum of 4 under 8s allowed in my conditions of registration as my own 2 children are aged 5 and 6.
    I just had a chat with someone from Ofsted about my variation request for 4 under 5s for 3 hours one morning and a total of 5 children (3 under 5, two 6 year olds) for 45 mins after school, one day a week.

I was told fine for the 4 unders 5s (continuity of care), but no for the 5 children after school, even though one of my children will not be there as she has an after-school club. Apparently the maximum of 4 children cannot be exceeded.
    This is different to what I was told when I rang up for the variation request form in the first place.
    Does anyone have any experience of this situation, should I be asking for it in writing?

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am registered for 6 under 8's, if I were to apply for a variation to have 4 under the age of 5 instead of the 3 I am registered for then this would mean that I could only have 2 in the 5 - 8 age range as I would not be able to increase the total number

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reading Christine.
    I understand your case.

In mine, one of the under 5s goes home at noon. So in the afternoon I would have 3 under 5s. Then I need to pick up 2 more and my son from school.
    45 minutes later, 2 of the under 5s would go home.
    After that, we collect my daughter from her club.

So I asked to change the maximum number of children from 4 to 5 - 3 under 5s and 2 6 yearolds.

onceinabluemoon Guest

You cannot exceed the total number of children on your registration certificate even with a variation. You can only change how the numbers are arranged within that frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted will not allow you to care for more than 6 children under 8 including your own children - it makes no difference that your dd is not in the house she still counts in your registered numbers which is why your variation request has been refused.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning...

I can have 6 under 8's as my own two children are 9 and 12. 3 of these can be under 5.

From what I gather your total is 6 too but because you have a 5yr and 6yr old you can only have 4 mindees.
    Ofsted wont allow you to have more than 6 total. Even though your daughter is at after school club she still needs to be counted as if she becomes ill at school, she would have to be at home.

You can't get a variation for more than 6 and your total would be 7
    Hope this helps
    becky x

BuggsieMoo Guest

I get so confused with numbers and Ofsted recently granted me a variation on my certificate to provide extra care to a child already on the books. Now on one day a week I have

Mindee aged 4 (pm only)
    Mindee aged 4 (pm only)
    Mindee aged 1 (all day)
    Mindee aged 9 (not in my numbers) After school only
    Own Child aged 4
    Own Child aged 6 IN SCHOOL
    Own Child aged 8 (not in my numbers) IN SCHOOL
    Own Child aged 9 (not in my numbers). IN SCHOOL

I presume therefore this was granted as my total number in the Birth - 8 years age range was 5?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Lisa
    x

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LMHALL View Post
    I get so confused with numbers and Ofsted recently granted me a variation on my certificate to provide extra care to a child already on the books. Now on one day a week I have

Mindee aged 4 (pm only)
    Mindee aged 4 (pm only)
    Mindee aged 1 (all day)
    Mindee aged 9 (not in my numbers) After school only
    Own Child aged 4
    Own Child aged 6 IN SCHOOL
    Own Child aged 8 (not in my numbers) IN SCHOOL
    Own Child aged 9 (not in my numbers). IN SCHOOL

I presume therefore this was granted as my total number in the Birth - 8 years age range was 5?

Is this correct?

Thanks

Lisa
    x
    Looks good to me...it totals 5 by the looks of it The variation was for 4 children under 5..is that right
    Becky x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by libellule View Post
    I currently have a maximum of 4 under 8s allowed in my conditions of registration as my own 2 children are aged 5 and 6.
    I just had a chat with someone from Ofsted about my variation request for 4 under 5s for 3 hours one morning and a total of 5 children (3 under 5, two 6 year olds) for 45 mins after school, one day a week.

I was told fine for the 4 unders 5s (continuity of care), but no for the 5 children after school, even though one of my children will not be there as she has an after-school club. Apparently the maximum of 4 children cannot be exceeded.
    This is different to what I was told when I rang up for the variation request form in the first place.
    Does anyone have any experience of this situation, should I be asking for it in writing?

As others have said, Ofsted will not grant a Variation for more than a total of 6. They won't take into account the fact your daughter is out of the house at the time you need your variation. Because what would you do with her if the After School club we suddenly cancelled or she was off sick and couldn't go to the club?

The only way around it is to work with a Registered Assistant for this time. However it can take up to 3 months for this to be procesed and there is no gaurantee at the end of it that Ofsted would increase your numbers, they don't always.

Also if you exceed the 6 under 8 you would have to apply to your Local Planning Department for Planning Permission, which typically costs £350-400 can take up to 2-3 months to fully process and then you may not get it.

I think you have to ask yourself if it is worth it for 45mins?

BuggsieMoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bexc View Post
    Looks good to me...it totals 5 by the looks of it The variation was for 4 children under 5..is that right
    Becky x
    Yeah my cert originally said 2 under 5 (3 inc my own child) but for continuity of care they increased it to 3 under 5 on said day so that I could continue to care for the child it related to. Its only for 2 hours so not much but hey its better than nothing
    x

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Also if you exceed the 6 under 8 you would have to apply to your Local Planning Department for Planning Permission, which typically costs £350-400 can take up to 2-3 months to fully process and then you may not get it.

?
    Not ALL LA's are enforcing this so its wise to proceed with caution.. if they are not alert to it already... why rock the boat....... (so my CDO says lol)

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

yes my local planning permission limit is 6 children. But someone said on another post that it might include your own children?
    Is this correct?

Becky x

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for your replies!

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    This has helped me come to terms with the facts. I just couldn't quite believe it as I had misunderstood the info with the variation form!
    I have sorted things out so that the 2 new (on that day) children will go before the older ones come out of school.
    It really helps to have this forum to get lots of opinions (and facts) without sounding like a misery when I go to the childminding group. Thanks again.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi ,
    Glad you're sorted: wanted to offer advice but whenever I try to explain about numbers it gets too complicated and becomes an essay

You're not alone - took me ages to really 'get it'