Minding family members during inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Minding family members during inspection

Wondering if anyone out there can help with this ...... if on your inspection day the only child you have is a family member - grandchild niece etc - will the inspection go ahead?

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you mind other non relatives and they are not there on the day of inspection because they are ill then ofsted can still inspect you. However as they said to me they wouldn't look at any learning journeys/policies/link book with preschool that I have for my neice. Nor will they be able to use evidence from watching you with your relative. When ofsted phone to see what days you are minding, they will want to know which days you have non relatives ,so they can plan their visit around those days.

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Does that mean you have to inform Ofsted that you mind children that are related? How would they know? Why would that affect the learning journey obs etc sorry just poss situation i'll be in and wouldn't want any other mindees so wondering what would happen x

Penny1959 Guest

Someone I know - had a recent inspection - and only child present was a grandchild - minded child was off with chicken pox.

The inspector said two options first carry on with inspection but highest grade would be satisfactory (friend was outstanding at last two inspections) or rearrange.

My friend choose to rearrange.

The inspector was not very happy and told my friend that she should have called to tell them and not wasted their time.

Penny

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clio0602 View Post
    Does that mean you have to inform Ofsted that you mind children that are related? How would they know? Why would that affect the learning journey obs etc sorry just poss situation i'll be in and wouldn't want any other mindees so wondering what would happen x
    My friend (mentioned in last post) had the LJ's for minded child and grandchild - inspector said 'Why are you doing LJ for grandchild - you don't need to and I am not interested in it. And don't want to look at minded child's LJ as he is not here.

My friend was gutted as the inspector was more or less saying that mindees that are relations do not matter (funny I though every child mattered). My friend did argue and say what is the difference - she gets paid, the child's mother gets tax credits - and when the child turns 3 she will be doing the NEF sessions for this child and the LA require LJ's to be done.

But the inspector said - no - grandchild does not count.

Personally I can understand why they won't inspect if only have relatives on role - but if non relative minded child is off sick and LJ's and other paperwork and evidence available - it is in my opinion just silly.

Penny

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to phone Ofsted and advise them you are minding a relative. Ofsted will phone you when its close to your inspection time and they ask questions such as, are you minding at present? what ages are the children? What days do you mind? Are the children close relatives including niece,nephew or grandchild? It affects the learning journal because you do not have to be registered to mind a close relative so Ofsted do not expect you to do a LJ for them. I know Ofsted won't look at my niece or nephews LJ, planning, questionnaires etc but I still do this as I feel they should be treated the same as my non relative mindee. I do this as it helps me plan for my niece/nephew but I know it doesn't go towards my grading. Sorry its a bit long but hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend was inspected recently but the inspector was not interested in her grandchild at all. Fortunately she had other mindees present.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I was minding my 2 relatives which would fill my ey spaces as full as I'd want to be then I'd only get satisfactory at most? Bit gutted would have at least liked the chance to get good

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    After Easter i will only have my grand children 3 of them and one on the way due any day. i have no room for any children in the eyfs age and the oldes is on 4yrs old.
    what do i do when ofsted want to come i was grade outsanding at my last time

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I was minding my 2 relatives which would fill my ey spaces as full as I'd want to be then I'd only get satisfactory at most? Bit gutted would have at least liked the chance to get good
    I'm not sure about only getting satisfactory. If you Google 'Ofsted and no children on roll' it will bring up the guidance for inspectors. It states that if an Ofsted inspector phones to arrange an inspection and you only have only close relatives and it has been like that for 6 months or more then they send you out a letter to say you currently have no children on roll and they then make a note to contact you in 6months time. However if you are at present only minding close relatives but you have had children in the EYFS during the past 6 months then they can come out and do the inspection. Please be aware though that if you are only minding close relatives Ofsted have the right to take you off the register after 3 years.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your help

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    thanks for your help
    Your welcome.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aunt sally View Post
    You don't have to phone Ofsted and advise them you are minding a relative. Ofsted will phone you when its close to your inspection time and they ask questions such as, are you minding at present? what ages are the children? What days do you mind? Are the children close relatives including niece,nephew or grandchild? It affects the learning journal because you do not have to be registered to mind a close relative so Ofsted do not expect you to do a LJ for them. I know Ofsted won't look at my niece or nephews LJ, planning, questionnaires etc but I still do this as I feel they should be treated the same as my non relative mindee. I do this as it helps me plan for my niece/nephew but I know it doesn't go towards my grading. Sorry its a bit long but hope it helps.
    Is that right - you don't need to be registered to mind a relative? Even if it's for money? I really thought you would have to register - My Mum is looking at becoming a Childminder to mind my nephew her grandson, would she not need to register?
    I guess she would if my sister was to claim childcare tax credits.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katiekoo View Post
    Is that right - you don't need to be registered to mind a relative? Even if it's for money? I really thought you would have to register - My Mum is looking at becoming a Childminder to mind my nephew her grandson, would she not need to register?
    I guess she would if my sister was to claim childcare tax credits.
    That's right, you don't need to be registered to mind a niece, nephew or grandchild. You can still be paid , it just has to be declared as usual. However if your sister wants to claim childcare tax credit then your mum needs to be registered. You cannot register just to look after relatives though, your mum would need to take on non relative mindees aswell.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the clarification - I wasn't sure what to tell her. Much clearer now

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't see the need to let Ofsted know one of my minded children was my great-niece - would probably only say if they specifically asked if any of the children were related.