Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default phone call from Tribal

Hi
    I am in a bit of a panic as a lady has called me today from Tribal asking about any work I have. I am looking after one child part time but haven't been back working for long as had time off on maternity leave.

I feel out of touch with regards to paperwork. I keep reading other peoples posts about risk assessments and not sure what to do. Also my first aid certificate has now expired and although I am booked on a course it isn't till the end of May.

Can anybody please help me with exactly what I need in place.

Thank you in advance.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok this may not be what you want to hear but if your first aid course has ran out you will most likely be marked inadequete as it is a requirement of the EYFS.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

AUG 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

dont want to be the bearer of bad news hun...but think thats not good with regards to your first aid (

xx
    Jennie x x

onceinabluemoon Guest

Risk assessments are easy, you do them in your head all the time without even realising it.

Lets think about a day in the park in the summer with a 2 year old and a baby

Risks include sunstroke, dehydration, toddler having an accident/running off, stranger danger, (plus more)

So list them out and out what you would do to minimise risk

eg, sunstroke/sunburn - smother baby and toddler with suncream, having first obtained parental consent and keep covered up and out of the sun when sun at its hottest
    dehydration - ensure both children have plenty of water to drink
    and so on and so forth.

There are some fab websites on the Bromley site which you can adapt to your needs.

WRT your first aid, it was my understanding that we are not permitted to work without a first aid cert in date. You could risk an inadequate. I'm not 100% certain but reasonably sure. Is there any way you could get one ASAP?

edited to add - sorry for repetition, I've cross posted. x

Post Thanks / Like

As above - you need to get your first aid certificate renewed asap.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told I had to complete first aid before I could mind so I agree that you're probably going to get inadequate for that

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You definetly can't childmind without a valid First Aid certificate.

A childminding friend who is giving up minding in the summer has been told she's still got to do the first aid course in March because hers expires in May - only about 5 weeks before she stops childminding. She has been told that she most definetly can't childmind if she lets it lapse.
    Cazz x

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

So have you actually spoken to her? Has she told you when she is coming?

You need to find an alternative course rather than wait until May and get booked on it asap, maybe look at St Johns Ambulance or similar? At the moment you are breaking the regulations without one.

If she comes before you go on the course you will be given a "notice to improve" by a certain time- to complete a first aid course before they take further action regarding your registration, I think?

Get the RA's done aswell as that would mean another action.

apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree, I just had my inspection and she was very thorough about paperwork, you will be in breach of registration conditions by not having a valid first aid cert. and definatley do your risk assessments and sign and date each one. Try and see if you can get yourself on a FA course ASAP.
    Good luck, hopefully everything will be okay for you.

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a thred about what you need for inspection on hear i do believe

policies & procedures forms etc

not sure who put it on but pip springs to mind,, as some one has said the bromley site is worth having a visit too

sorry as others have said First Aid is a must if you are minding

good luck

Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reported by another childminder last year for having an out of date certificate which was not my fault as the firts one i was booked on before my certificate ran out was cancelled due to not enough people on it so i booked on another just after my certificate ran out and was cancelled because of the snow. Ofsted wrote to me and i explained the situation and even got the FIS to email them saying it was not my fault but this still has been noted on my report.

Ofsted then said to me if your certificate runs out you have to stop minding until you have completed another course. I did have may say though and told her you are not exactly going to forget everything you have learnt just because your certificate has ran out and it only needs to be renewed every 3 years. Her answer was rules are rules.