Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....

Hi everybody, I was hoping you'd be able to give me some advice. This is my first post, but I regularly check the forum out, and it's helped me loads getting ready for my inspection.

Yesterday, I had my inspection, and it went really well, I got graded good on everything apart from health (my first aid certificate lapsed in October), she therefore had to grade me unsatisfactory, and consequently unsatisfactory on organization. I explained to the inspector that obviously I was aware a valid first aid certificate is a requirement, and I had tried very hard to get on a course. She rang her boss, and she said if I could provide proof that I had tried she could put a special exemption thing on (can't remember what it was called) and I could get satisfactory. I explained that I rang the local early years training bloke, he told me all courses were full. he left me an answer machine message telling me to ring back after Christmas, and their should be a course available in February. She said if I still had the message, that would be proof, but unfortunately I wiped it.

Anyway, I woke up this morning thinking it all seemed a bit unfair - she didn't suggest that I could ring the man I talked to and get him to confirm the phone call, surely that's as good as listening to an answer machine message. I've tried to ring him, but can't get hold of him, so I have sent an email, asking if there is anything I can do.

Sorry it's so long, but my basic question is do you think it's worth my while trying to get confirmation from him that I tried to get on a first aid course in time, or now that the inspection is over is there nothing I can do?

Thanks for listening Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Had my inspection yesterday, I'm inadequate, but....

Hi Sarah

Well done on getting through your inspection and well done with your grade

Shame about your first aid and a little unfair when you have done your best to get on a course
    I think I am going to have the same problem next year I have tried already to get on a course and they are fully booked
    So what are we supposed to do ?

Not sure if you are going to get anywhere trying to contact this guy but I would def try it is not going to do any harm and could give you a better grading so yes I would def try

Good luck keep us posted on what happens

Angel xx

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds so unfair to me.It's not your fault all the courses are booked.
    I would definatly try and get hold of him or give his number to ofsted so they can ask him themselves.Least then they would have some proof.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is always worth trying...you don't wamt to be kicking yourself when it really is too late!
    Tasha

Post Thanks / Like

I know quite a few people that couldnt get on first aid courses in my area, seems like its a real problem.

I only managed to do one earlier this year as i did a mid week one (and lost lots of money from that).

Anyway it seems really bad luck, and i would definatly chase it up!!! keep trying the guy that left the message and kep on to ofsted.

If they give you unsatisfactory do you have to have another inspection sooner than normal? i only ask because if the worst comes to the worse, hopefully you can do the course, then have another inspection and hopefully get a good grade.

Anyway well done otherwise.

Lou xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for the replies, glad it's not just me that thinks it's a bit unfair! Apparently, the main reason why it had to be unsatisfactory was on my first inspection, the first aid course wasn't until a week after the inspection day, so it was put down as an action. The inspector said because it was an action on both inspections, they didn't really have much choice. She was very nice about it, and I could tell she felt really mean doing it - she did try her best to avoid it.

Yes, I will have to have another inspection, she said it would normally be within 3-6 months, but apparently between March and September next year there won't be any inspections because of the introduction of the EYFs thingy, so it would probably be September.

I don't know who to ring first - should I ring Ofsted to see if there is any point, or should I try the EYDCP man again?

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep trying for the man, and get him to write a letter explaining that u did ask about courses etc and they are indeed full until such and such a date, which u have been booked onto

hth

leanne
    xx
    Don't let your halo slip and strangle you!!

Leanne
    xx

Post Thanks / Like

I've just rung the woman from the local childcare development project, she was the one who put me in touch with the first aid man to begin with. She is in a meeting but I've left my details and hopefully she'll ring me back with some advice.

At the end of the day, it's just a grading, and if she hadn't of mentioned this providing proof business, I would have just accepted it. All my mindee parents are aware of the situation, and I don't think they could really care less (I mainly do school runs, and the children are aged 6-11)

For all those who are trying to get on a course, and can't - KEEP THE PROOF that you are trying - save your emails, print them off, and just try to get something in writing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice Sarah

You are right too it is just a grading and if your parents are happy then that is really good

Hope you get it sorted though

Good luck

Angel xx

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I would definitely try and see if I could get proof it were me.

Aren't there going to be any Ofsted inspections anywhere between March and September then? That seems a bit stupid - they'll surely get a huge backlog!

April06
    Post Thanks / Like

well done with getting through the inspection, I would keep trying to get the proof, and as soon as you have done the course get in touch with ofsted to come and re-assess you,
    Mandy

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update. The woman from our local network very kindly put it in writing for me that I had enquired about first aid courses at the beginning of November, and that I now had a confirmed place for a course on February 16th.

So I have written to OFSTED enclosing the letter, and very nicely asked if this would be enough proof, and could I please be satisfactory now. I sent it registered post, but not really expecting to hear anything until after Christmas. I'll let you know what happens (keep your fingers crossed for me!)

Thanks for all the replies and hope you all have a good Christmas.

Thanks, Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

That is good news Sarah

Good luck hope Ofsted change it for you

Angel xx

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done sarah. Fingers crossed your grade is changed - let us know what happens.

Emler x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Sara. I hope it goes ok for you.
    Love Sandra XXX

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done to you for getting written evidence . Good luck June

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

only just read this - I think it's such a shame that you have been downgraded when courses are so hard to get on to and well done on getting the proof, hope it helps to at least get you up to a satisfactory.

The same thing could happen to me as the first aid course around here are like gold dust, I've been told that there will be one at the local Sure Start and the co-ordinator has promised me a place but if it dones't go ahead then I will be left with just 3 weeks to find another one before my certificate runs out.

Thanks to your advice I will make sure I get proof that I've been promised one but even so, I'd be heart broken to get a satisfactory just for the fact that a course wasn't available.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with getting them to change it, it seems so unfair.........but half of what they do is unfair!
    Monkey by Name........Monkey by Nature!

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

That is such a shame.

In my area (Poole) we can book on courses that are running later in the year and I think Ofsted are ok providing you have it booked even if it has lapsed. It is a shame you can't do this elsewhere.

Sarah

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem trying to get on a Birth To Three course. I only became registered in Oct 2007 and immediately tried to get on the final BTT course of the year but it was fully booked. I'm due an inspection (I think) in April 2008 and will do the next available BTT course in March 2008. That doesn't give me much time to put anything into practice before the inspector calls. I know it's all going to change when the new Early Years thingy is introduced but I'm still worried I'm going to get an 'inadequate' based on my lack of BTT experience. It would be so unfair if that happened.

Sarah, I'd also try getting hold of that bloke. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I hope he remembers you. Bribe him if necessary (only joking)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast