Thread: pets

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pets

Hi
    Sorry I wasnt sure where to put this post. We are thinking of getting rabbits. As regards Ofsted and Inspections what paper work apart from a pet policy should we provide. Medical history? Vaccination history? Has anybody been asked to show certain documents on an inspection? If we decide to I would want to know I have at hand relevant documents.
    Any advise gratefully recieved.
    We have had plenty of pets in the past, but not whilst I have been running my business.
    Star

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pets

didnt want to read and run ... hopefully someone will beable to answer real soon as I've only kept hamsters hence no vacinations etc.

enjoy your bunnies
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Thanks for your kindness in leaving a message. Hopefully somebody will have experience of different animals. We are still at a debating stage, need to think of holidays etc before deciding when as might be better after hols this year, then no babysitting of rabbits is needed!
    star

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope someone answers i was looking at getting a rabbit didnt realise they had injections

Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too! I was surprised too as we have not had rabbits before. Hoping this thread would help me decide as, I know people with rabbits who don't have them vacinated, but obviously it is different when I care for other peoples children as well as my own family. It will be expensive to keeep them and upkeep 6 monthly injections. Trying to find out if its a requirement looked for on inspections or if we did vacinations say yearly instead! Oh I dont know it seems expensive now. Somebody is trying to talk me into taking on 2 bfully grown rabbits who need a new home!
    Star

Septemb
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have a cat and have a pet policy and we have his vaccination record. Ofsted didn't ask to see this or any other paperwork relating to him. No chance of him getting out of date as my daughter is a trainee vet nurse...poor cat is more like her guinea pig

Nix,x

jan 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted hasnt seen my pet policy but an NCMAworker has and I showed her that in my health and safety stuff I keep a record of injections worming and frontlining-she seemed to think that was fine.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

At my last inspection i was not asked to provide any documents relating to vaccinations etc for our dog.

I think that as long as you do a risk assessment for the rabbits and demonstrate that you are conscious of health and safety when the children are around them it will be fine. I always fancied rabbits but got put off by my friend having a supposed "house rabbit" which pooed everywhere. Outside ones are far more practical!

Hope you get on with them ok.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Dec 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for info so far.
    I need to consider vets advise about 6monthly vacinations as I dont remember having them that often for our rabbits years ago, before taking these 2 on that need rehoming. Maybe I contact rspca incase vets are trying to get money from me!
    Star

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We have rabbit, guinea and a cat and wasn't asked to provide any extra documentation at my recent inspection.
    Helen xXx

Post Thanks / Like

I have a rabbit that has never, thankfully been near the vets. Ofsted have never asked for any paperwork adn I don't even have apet policy, maybe I should. Although I love my bunny, I don't encourage children to actually stroke it frrely, they do feed it and have a very supervised stroke but you just never know witrh animals

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we have 3 rabbits, 2 guinea-pigs, 2 fish , 2 gerbils, 1 hamster, 5 peruvian stick insects , 18 indian stick insects, about 30 baby giant land snails and a black labrador, the inspector didn't even look at the animals yet alone ask about them, the only comment she made was about the dog who didnt move from his bed the whole time, she just said 'what a lovley calm dog'. didnt ask for the vacination thingy or pet policy although she would have seen this inmy folder, didnt ask wether he was allowed where the children were or anything. that was my last inspection, the first every inspection i had whe had 2 guineapigs who got wet in the rain and i had to bring them in to dry out, the inspector said how smelly and untidy they were and that they should be kept away from the children, she was really quite mean. so i guess it depends on who you get on the day.

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my rabbits haven't been vaccinated
    nor did my last ones who lived 8 years-ish (give or take a month or 2)
    IS BACK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hebs View Post
    my rabbits haven't been vaccinated
    nor did my last ones who lived 8 years-ish (give or take a month or 2)
    Hiya I have various animals, have been childminding for 5 years and all animals still with us. Ofsted not interested in looking at pet documents, nor where they interested in where the animals. SO longs you let the parents know that you have animals just incase child has an allergy, and animals are not in the same room as the children are playing i.e cat or dog.

Regards Tracey

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I think all the records of vaccinations / worming and other pet related things are more for your own benefit.

I.e. if a parent says their kids cought a disease from an animal while at your house, you have proof that the animals have been vaccinated so that it could not have been your place where the child got sick.

We had discussed this at a training session and that was the general consensus.
    Nicole xx

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Hi thanks for info so far.
    I need to consider vets advise about 6monthly vacinations as I dont remember having them that often for our rabbits years ago, before taking these 2 on that need rehoming. Maybe I contact rspca incase vets are trying to get money from me!
    Star
    I was told by a vet that if there are lots of wild rabbits near where you live, they can pass on nasty diseases, even without contact. Our two rabbits had to have the 6 monthly vacs because we live near the Dunstable Downs.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: pets

We have 2 dogs and a rabbit the CCO has seen my policy and that was it. He never even asked about vaccinations, as long as you are strict about washing hands after handling then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Of course if you do keep the paperwork you are always covering your own back.
    Me x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a cat and have a chart when I worm and flea....thats it really

becky x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I used to be a veterinary nurse before childminding, there is nothing a child can catch from a rabbit, however if a child gets scratched from a rabbit, cat, dog etc, there are nasty infections they can get. So maybe have a policy for this. Also rabbits tend to die of horrible diseases so how about a guinea pig much nicer and friendlier too. and they don't get horrible diseases like myxomatosis vhd etc

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have had lots of rabbits and guinea pigs in the past and never got them vaccinated. But my friend has 2 very well trained house rabbits - they are brilliant fun and follow you everywhere what characters!!lol They get myxamatosis jags cos its horrible!
    I agree that guinea pigs usually make friendlier pets for young children. Rabbits get very hormonal and are best to get "the op" lol
    XX Jill XX