Ofsted Requirements and Food Handler
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted Requirements and Food Handler

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice? I have read on another publication that as childminders we are required to register to our LA as a food handler, and get 3 monthly inspections, and are required to record all fridge / freezer temperatures etc. Is this correct as I haven't found anything on Ofsted website saying so.
    Thank you in advance

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi When you register with Ofsted your details are automatically passed on to your local authority and somebody from there will then get in touch. It does seem that every local area does things differently so it will depend where you live as some people have inspections some don't but it's not every three months more like every 2 or 3 years. It also depends on what food you provide.
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

and to add- some Local Authorities do not come out to see CMers at all. Best to ask locally to see what the situation is.
    No need to record fridge temperatures as you are working alone and can check yourself daily. Staff at a cafe may need to write it down for their manager etc, but we are not in that situation.
    It is not part of what Ofsted inspect at all- only as far as general home safety and hygiene, Ofsted leave it to local authorities environmental health depts.

5. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My last two EHO food hygiene inspections were six years apart.

I check fridge temperatures several times each day, as and when I go in there for something. I record them every other day, though my EHO inspector said this was 'good pratice' but not entirely necessary. I think it doesn’t hurt to do simple due diligence like this. If ever some mum decided to raise a complaint I’ll have good evidence of good practice, which can make all the difference.

You’ll find little or nothing on this published by Ofsted. You need to refer to the Food Standards Agency and your local EHO.

Go to the FSA website and download their pack, Safer food, better business for childminders . This tells you most of what you need to know/do. There’s also a download of diary sheets for you to record various checks and how you handle things.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post