Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default OBC north west open meeting 10.3.18

It was lovely to meet lots of childminders yesterday at the open meeting - old friends and new contacts

In the first Ofsted presentation...

Gill Jones (deputy director early years) talked about the impact of the recent 'Bold Beginnings' report. She was keen to point out it was based on children's 'good level of development' linked to the Early Learning Goals at the end of reception.

Read more here - Bold beginnings? Are they really? | Childcare Expo | Early Years Exhibitors | Free Childcare Exhibitions

She referred to previous reports written by Ofsted and the definition of teaching - Ofsted want to see busy, active children and short, sharp focused activities (Are you ready? Good practice in school readiness' report).

Read more here - Are you ready? Good practice in school readiness

We need to be thinking about what children are going to learn from the activities we are providing - how we model, help, support and teach them new things.

Bold Beginnings focused on gaps in reading, writing and number because the prime areas are going well - according to Ofsted. However, it should be noted that the 3rd speaker on neuroscience in the early years disagreed with this and said we should be more concerned in the early years about PSED and brain development!!

In relation to improving outcomes in literacy Ofsted want to see us in early years developing children's love or reading - helping them make connections between books and language / vocabulary. We need to give extra support for children who don't get to read at home - read every day - listen to children telling stories - we should use singing and rhymes for this too...

Gill emphasised the importance of play - she said clearly that we cannot have 4 and 5 year olds sitting down all day!!

Gill also said that - when teaching children to write - we should provide suitable resources and teach them to hold a pencil correctly while sitting at a table (tripod grip and posture) but they also want to see children mark making in many different ways.

Interesting question - should teachers intervene to correct a child's pencil grip during play? Ofsted state that it depends on the child and the background (what comes before and after) and recognising the right time to intervene... they will ask 'what is your policy?' rather than prescribe a right or wrong way of doing things.

Then direct teaching - which Ofsted only refer to in the report in relation to reception children - should be as it says in 'Are you ready?' (link above) - used to teach new skills they will need for school like putting on coats and tidying up.

IMPORTANT OFSTED QUOTE - 'Do what you think is right for your children at the time - not what you think is right for Ofsted'...

I will take that one away with me and repeat it regularly!

.................................................. ...........

In a second Ofsted presentation...

Elaine White reported on changes to their computer system - how they want to better engage with early years - and how their new systems will allow them to have an overview of the child from birth to school and beyond.

They reminded everyone that they are removing their self-evaluation form from 1st April - inspectors will focus on what we tell them - how we evaluate and plan for the future as part of the leadership and management remit in the Eyfs - looking at our strengths and areas for improvement. There will not be a requirement to have any written documentation or an action plan if you can explain what you are doing verbally.

Ofsted noted that they will be updating their systems to comply with GDPR - they said it's about 'how we use the internet for modern living'. They will not be giving us advice on what to do!!

My Ofsted Registration (MORE) will be live soon and it is intended to improve Ofsted online systems...

.................................................. ..

The 3rd presentation of the morning was about early years neuroscience - teaching children to self-regulate and supporting behaviour. I will blog about it separately.

During the Q&A

Delegates asked Ofsted about the recent petition linked to malicious complaints ... Ofsted said that if a complaint links to safeguarding they have to investigate ... and they cannot divulge where complaints come from ...

There was quite a lot of discussion about Ofsted's decision to withdraw the SEF as well...

Ofsted confirmed that we DO need to let them know if we take an unexpected day off for, for example, a snow day. My advice is to email them then you have a paper trail.

I hope those who attended found the morning interesting! Next North West open meeting is in October at the Last Drop in Bolton with 'The Art of Brilliance' as the speakers ... Ofsted Big Conversation, NW Regional Open Meeting - 6th October 2018 Tickets, Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 09:30 | Eventbrite.

I hope to see you there!
    Last edited by sarah707; 12-03-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's really, really interesting Sarah, thank you. Lots of lovely, common sense things they mentioned. I'm really glad they talked about school readiness in terms of putting on own coat and tidying up. I HATE how some practitioners have interpreted it to mean letter and number recognition.

I didn't know that we had to let them know if we had an unexpected day off. I'm assuming this also means that if we close due to our OWN children being ill?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    That's really, really interesting Sarah, thank you. Lots of lovely, common sense things they mentioned. I'm really glad they talked about school readiness in terms of putting on own coat and tidying up. I HATE how some practitioners have interpreted it to mean letter and number recognition.

I didn't know that we had to let them know if we had an unexpected day off. I'm assuming this also means that if we close due to our OWN children being ill?
    That's what they said! A few members on our Facebook group went to some lengths to try and prove me wrong ... which is their prerogative of course!

I have it confirmed in writing

4. Likes Maza liked this post