Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default OBC meeting feedback - May 2017

Apologies for taking so long to come back to you all with these comments - the Senior Regulatory Officer I was dealing with was on holiday.

If you have any questions please let me know

Questions for Ofsted from childminders
    - OBC 5.5.17

Has the Ofsted inspection schedule changed? We are hearing about 'good' childminders being inspected who were only visited 2 years ago - we understand this is happening in nurseries as well.

Ofsted said - no, the inspection schedule has not changed. Since they took over inspection in April they have completed most of the 'requires improvement' inspections and are now moving on to 'good' providers.

--------------------------------

An inspector told a childminder that she should ask a Sudanese parent if she had been subjected to FGM and if she intended to have her daughter cut. I asked - is it policy for Ofsted to say this now? Childminders have always been told in safeguarding training that we must not investigate safeguarding concerns as we are not qualified.

Ofsted said - 'EYFS Requirement 3.7 outlines a providers responsibility in regard to 'Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015;' and the 'Prevent duty guidance for England and Wales 2015'. The provider must demonstrate all child protection requirements at inspection. There are no set questions for inspectors to ask, so if the provider feels the answer to this question impacted her grading or that the question was inappropriate, they need to challenge this. Providers should not be worried about complaining to Ofsted if they feel something was inappropriate.'

Why don't inspectors look at or track the progress of childminder's family members? They are taking up 1 of our 3 under 5 spaces and the childminder records their learning and development in the same way as other childminded children. If they don't need to do any record keeping such as the 2 year progress check and tracking for family members it would be appreciated if Ofsted could clarify.

Ofsted said - there is no requirement in the EYFS for providers to produce written documentation for children if they can demonstrate they are making progress from their starting points. During inspection Ofsted will evaluate your practice and focus on children who are receiving funding, EYPP and the impact of the provider's curriculum on outcomes for the children.

See points 53 to 55 for more information - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_handbook.pdf.

A childminder received an action and was downgraded at inspection because the needs of her baby impacted on learning for childminded children (the baby needed feeding during a planned activity). I asked Ofsted for clarification on this.

Ofsted said - 'in general we acknowledge that in any setting there will be times when planned activities need to be interrupted to deal with more urgent matters. It is for the provider to determine how he or she deals with such temporary interruptions, but they must ensure that they continue to meet children's needs during any such interruptions. We would need more details to look into this specifically, but again we must ensure providers feel able to challenge at the time should they feel a judgement/action is incorrect.'

Some childminders use online software to compile learning and development information for the children and have been advised by their LA that 'Ofsted don't like it'. Can Ofsted please confirm they have no preference?

Ofsted said - this is a myth and Ofsted do not have a preference. Record keeping must show that children are making progress from their starting points.

My note - when thinking about what type of record keeping you use, providers might find this blog useful - Learning Journeys - paper or online? - Independent Childminders.

A colleague received an action for not having signs outside in her garden - another doesn't have signs in her garden and wasn't actioned because the inspector said learning outside should be linked to nature and the natural world. Which is right?

Ofsted said - inspectors will be looking at how well literacy is promoted in the provision, both inside and in the garden. Providers should not be worried about complaining to Ofsted if they feel something that happened during inspection was inappropriate.

What should a childminder do if a parent refuses to give them permission to share information with other settings or agencies?

Ofsted said - the EYFS requires partnership working and states in requirement 2.5 'Providers must have the consent of parents and/or carers to share information directly with other relevant professionals.'

A childminder has received an inadequate grade because she did not have copies of her assistant's car documents to show the inspector. This is not a requirement of the EYFS - please can Ofsted advise if it is a reason for inadequate and where it says she needs to keep a copy of this information.

Ofsted said - 'inspectors refer to EYFS requirement 3.66 - 'Vehicles in which children are being transported, and the driver of those vehicles, must be adequately insured. The inspector would want to see proof of this at inspection.'

Can Ofsted please consider providing a list of 'things to do' before registration so registering childminders can get registered quicker.

Since asking this question...

Ofsted have a pre-reg Facebook page here - Childcare Registration - Home | Facebook

I have collaborated with Ofsted to provide the following information - Ofsted pre-registration documents - Independent Childminders

Ofsted have provided updated information (May 2017) on the following page -
    How to register as a childminder or nanny: quick guide - GOV.UK

Childminders would like more support with Ofsted expectations relating to the 50% off premises rule and how Ofsted deal with the registrations for and will be inspecting breakfast, after school and holiday provision.

My note - I am still working on getting clarification from Ofsted - please bear with me.

Any questions, please come back to me. Thank you, Sarah x
    Last edited by sarah707; 11-06-2017 at 07:36 AM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sarah xxx

I do 'like' the typical Ofsted answer to

What should a childminder do if a parent refuses to give them permission to share information with other settings or agencies?

Ofsted said - the EYFS requires partnership working and states in requirement 2.5 'Providers must have the consent of parents and/or carers to share information directly with other relevant professionals.'

so what should we do if a parent won't give permission?!

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah. x

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Thank you Sarah xxx

You would be failing to comply with the Eyfs wouldn't you?! ... so you couldn't work with the parent... is my personal / professional reading of the rules

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You would be failing to comply with the Eyfs wouldn't you?! ... so you couldn't work with the parent... is my personal / professional reading of the rules
    That would be my take on it too! Just made me laugh at such a non-answer!

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Thank you Sarah xxx

Yet another badly worded regulation. It doesn't even state that there's any exception for a legitimate safeguarding concern.

To put it another way, the implication is that you're in breach of requirement 2.5 if you report a safeguarding matter without parental consent, and in breach of safeguarding rules if you don't.

10. Likes loocyloo, hectors house liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sarah
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door