Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inspection when giving up

A friend is giving up childminding after over 20 years and many inspections.

Her last inspection had a gap of 6 years since the one before - way too long a gap. She has now had a call, less than 2 years since then to say they are coming despite the fact she told them she is finishing in the summer and only working 3 days a week now as she nannies on other days. also got a holiday in that time.

Can't help thinking it's crazy - i know it's another cycle of inspections but what a waste of money - chances are she will have stopped before she gets her certificate and considering how long she was left last time she is feeling a bit peeved.

Is there any way to avoid it? Will Ofsted see sense?
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    A friend is giving up childminding after over 20 years and many inspections.

Her last inspection had a gap of 6 years since the one before - way too long a gap. She has now had a call, less than 2 years since then to say they are coming despite the fact she told them she is finishing in the summer and only working 3 days a week now as she nannies on other days. also got a holiday in that time.

Can't help thinking it's crazy - i know it's another cycle of inspections but what a waste of money - chances are she will have stopped before she gets her certificate and considering how long she was left last time she is feeling a bit peeved.

Is there any way to avoid it? Will Ofsted see sense?
    Doubtful until you formally give your registration up Ofsted will still inspect
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread has got me thinking....do I tell Ofsted in advance that I am resigning?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend was the same. She was inspected when she only had a couple of months left until she retired. The inspector said she still had to have the inspection as she was still registered and may not end up finishing when she says she was going to. It did seem daft.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the fact it took them 6 years to get round to inspecting her last time and now less than 2 is suddenly urgent, even when she's giving it up, that peeves her.

She has made the decision to stop and will not go back on it - fed up with how it is now, she is always full but the paperwork has taken away the fun since we started in the 90s. Time to change while she is still in her 40s. We were nannies at the same time, before CM and having our own.

Will be seeing her next week - training Monday evening - for her to fill me in.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does sound a bit crazy but I suppose they still do it incase she changes her mind. Our area in Kent is being bombarded with inspections at the moment. Apparently they are doing all the ones that were done in the last 18 mths/2yrs so that includes me unfortunately. Keep waiting for the call

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I obviously am interested in this thread so further investigated.
    I found this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._providers.pdf

The third bullet point for reasons to defer/ cancel is this:
    the provision is due to merge, close or move and it is decided that no useful purpose will be served in inspecting it

'Deferral process
    Providers who are considering lodging a request for deferral of their inspection should study the criteria above carefully and ensure that at least one of the criteria applies before they make a request.
     Requests should be made in writing at the earliest opportunity.
     Arrangements for the inspection will continue to be made while the request
    for deferral is considered.
     Childcare providers may discuss deferral with the inspector when they are called to notify them of the inspection. A decision will be made using the criteria above.'

So technically if you are closing and an inspector phones then I think you should be able to request a cancellation under the quoted point above.
    So that I can say I officially am retiring I have written to Ofsted informing them of my retirement/ resignation and the date I will be finishing, therefore there should be no ' just in case you don't ' reason given by an inspector.
    Hope this is helpful to you.