Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2 undrer one's?

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 undrer one's?

Evening all

I currently have 2 little ones that I care for. Their mum's have had babies around the same time.
    Am I allowed to care for these 2 babies at the same time?
    The babies will be 10 months and 11 months.
    If I can I may sometimes also have 2 other children over 1 but under 5 giving me 4 children in total.

I think I can do it under continuity of care, am I correct?
    Any advice please x

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is continuity of care. Also as I read it in in the EYFS we can have 2 under1 years. hope I read this right.

3. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks dragonfly, I think I have understood right but still not sure, does anyone else know?

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone else answer this as I'd like to know if I have read this correctly ?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately there is no definate answer. Yes this would be what continuity of care is for however as we know ofsted will refer you to the guidelines and only judge you on how you are managing the variation.

One thing is for certain if you were inspected and ofsted deemed you were only providing care for the children then they can judge you harshly.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree there is no yes or no answer. Risk assess like crazy. How can you meet the needs of every child all the time? That is what Ofsted'll be asking... How can you keep every child safe all the time? How can you safely evacuate if needed, get out and about safely, manage the learning and development of each child as in individual.. etc etc.
    You'll need to inform, and probably reassure, the parents too.
    And think about your own sanity and health- can you cope, do you have any help and support at home, have you ever cared for that many before... don't under estimate the physical exertion of lifting and carrying and caring for 2 babies at the same time as preschoolers.
    Hope it works out for you.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Unfortunately there is no definate answer. Yes this would be what continuity of care is for however as we know ofsted will refer you to the guidelines and only judge you on how you are managing the variation.

One thing is for certain if you were inspected and ofsted deemed you were only providing care for the children then they can judge you harshly.
    I agree.

The only clear example given in the regulations is that of a "sibling baby", i.e. an under-1 whose older sibling is already in your care. Anything else, and an inspectre has plenty of leeway to use their own 'interpretation' of the rules. There are plenty of examples where this amounts to them making it up as they go along.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Tulips case by mine is a sibling of one I have had for a couple of years.it would be two under ones for 3/4 weeks only and that is if I say yes.