Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Myth busting from Ofsted. New publication

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like this bit

Myth: Ofsted inspectors may consider a cup of tea/coffee or biscuits as bribery

On thing I do strongly disagree with is

Fact: Inspectors act fairly and without bias at all times, and their judgements are based solely on evidence. Inspection reports are also quality assured by other inspectors before they are finalised, to confirm that judgements are firmly supported by evidence.

One of the first things my inspector told me was that I wouldn't be graded outstanding again as I hadn't been inspected for 7 years so couldn't have kept up to date with any changes. I fail to see how that was acting fairly and in an unbiased way.

I would also dispute the insistence that everything is evidence based. I have a statement in my report that is completely untrue. The report states that I regularly take the children to a certain place and how this benefits the children etc etc. It's something that I never do and is a place I've never actually been to myself, never mind with minded children! I would like to see what evidence the inspector gave for this as it wasn't even talked about during my inspection! All I can assume is she's copied and pasted information from someone else's report.

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting. I will read it this evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I read this this morning and whilst I was kind of grateful they published it and enjoyed reading it I was also a bit like what on earth were they thinking?! Was it really necessary to publish it? Will they be doing a series of them? Do they really need to produce an official document stating that by offering tea they will not be bias...i mean, what on earth?!!

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I do like this bit

Myth: Ofsted inspectors may consider a cup of tea/coffee or biscuits as bribery

On thing I do strongly disagree with is

Fact: Inspectors act fairly and without bias at all times, and their judgements are based solely on evidence. Inspection reports are also quality assured by other inspectors before they are finalised, to confirm that judgements are firmly supported by evidence.

One of the first things my inspector told me was that I wouldn't be graded outstanding again as I hadn't been inspected for 7 years so couldn't have kept up to date with any changes. I fail to see how that was acting fairly and in an unbiased way.

I would also dispute the insistence that everything is evidence based. I have a statement in my report that is completely untrue. The report states that I regularly take the children to a certain place and how this benefits the children etc etc. It's something that I never do and is a place I've never actually been to myself, never mind with minded children! I would like to see what evidence the inspector gave for this as it wasn't even talked about during my inspection! All I can assume is she's copied and pasted information from someone else's report.
    Goodness Mouse, were you really not inspected for 7 years??? What happened there then?
    How can they get away with a blatent lie? Was this part of your complaint? What was their answer?
    How dreadful :-(

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Goodness Mouse, were you really not inspected for 7 years??? What happened there then?
    How can they get away with a blatent lie? Was this part of your complaint? What was their answer?
    How dreadful :-(
    It was over 7 years. I was inspected at the start of one inspection cycle, then again near the end of the next one.

When I put in my complaint I didn't mention that mistake at all. I knew complaining wouldn't get me anywhere as it was my word against the inspector's. As expected, the inspector denied everything and I was told that everything had been checked with her inspection notes and that everything she said corresponded to what was in her notes. Her inspection notes were their 'proof' that everything she said was true.
    I was resigned to letting it go, but it did give me a sense of satisfaction knowing that there was a big mistake (lie) somewhere in the notes and that I has proof that what she said was certainly not all true. If they ever send her to inspect me again I will mention it to her and see how she tries to wriggle out of it!

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspections were 6 years apart!
    IS BACK

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like