Ofsted re-inspection after requires improvement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted re-inspection after requires improvement

Hi, last Feb I had an inspection and got requires improvement (long story, but I ended up making an official complaint because the report was incorrect in a lot of places and it got escalated and now here we are!) anyway, I have just recently returned from maternity leave and only have before and after school children in my setting, but one is in reception so they can still inspect me under the EYFS. BUT....I have no idea what info they will need from me! He's in full time education so I don't have a file on him. We get home from school at 4pm, he has tea and then goes home at 4.45. She wants to come and inspect me when he's here but what on earth can I show her in that chaotic 45 mins?? I have 7 children most days after school and it's always a rush getting tea ready and then getting them ready to go home!! Has anyone else had experience with this?? Any advice would be much appreciated because I really want a "good" this time!

Many thanks!

Naomi

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to talk about how you would care for an eyfs aged child ...

I'd do as much cooking beforehand as possible - do you have a slow cooker?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would talk about all the things you chat about with this reception child (and the others) on the way home from school - whether you walk or drive even in 10 mins you can cover most areas of the EYFS (apart from Physical maybe if you are in the car). Involve the children in helping to lay the table for tea, chopping up some fruit etc, counting out plates etc - don't forget to send them to wash hands, it's easily overlooked when you are clock watching. Do the children have any say in the chose of food you provide? Ask all parents to write a letter (or give them a questionnaire) and most of all make sure you have addressed the issues that got you requires improvement last time (spell them out so they can't be misinterpreted this time). Wishing you lots of luck - I think forward planning and preparation is key as you have such a short space of time to "sell" yourself

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As it's such a short amount of time, 45 minutes, as a one off say to parents you can't provide a hot meal that night. Fruit only. And concentrate on washing, preparing and eating, chatting about the benefits of the fruit with the child in front of her. Try not to make yourself rushed as she'll sense it. Think ahead 'what would be easier for me this one afternoon?' and parents will have to go along with it. Teach non stop and ask the child questions continually plus give them time to answer. Best of luck.

6. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You shouldn't change routine, the children will be the first ones to mention it if you do.

If your practise is 'good' now it will shine through. You will be able to show this in 45 minutes, school lessons are often judged by Ofsted in 15. - 20 minutes. You say it is chaotic but I am sure you talk and interact, encourage progression in independent skills, healthy eating, good hygiene etc... whilst preparing and eating. I don't offer cooked evening meals but a childminding friend who is currently good prepares all her meals in advance, through slow cookers, pre set timers, all organised earlier in the day or with the children. On one day when I was helping her as her assistant was poorly I was impressed by the children's routine that meant they arrived home and then they all had their own job to do at their level. Some helped her in prep, others set the table, others tidied the coats up for the younger ones and helped with hand washing. Activities were all accessible to complete independently or with little adult support before dinner, then afterwards the dishwasher was loaded and adult focused activities were completed by most. At the end they planned the following day and changed the rota. She didn't really need me, except for ratio, the established routine carried it all.
    You can talk about how you liaise with the school on pick up and homework help. Think about your usual interactive activities and choose one short one to plan to do, reading a story together for instance, linked with perhaps the current theme they are following at school, or the child's choice. Better still, choose one of your areas of development perhaps, to show you have moved forward.

As Hectors House suggests, it is really important that you show evidence of having addressed the areas that required improvement when you are talking and showing your files to the inspector if they can see it in your practise and how you interact, then it will be an automatic good...or outstanding....fingers crossed for you.

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advice already given. Although the EYFS child will only be with you for 45 minutes your inspector will be with you for much longer, so do plan for after the 45 minutes too if you have other children there. She will probably be wanting to talk to you/give feedback but whatever the older ones are doing might just sway her for better or worse.

Make sure you have a designated area where the after schoolies put their belongings. I see lots of photographs on FB of schoolies coats/bags/shoes just dumped on the floor blocking, which is a tripping hazard, disrespectful to the parents who pay good money for coats and most importantly is often blocking a fire escape.

Get all the children into a good routine now (not saying that you haven't already). Think about how they can be independent during tea time - think self service. Not sure what meals you serve but - if you serve beans on toast could you serve the beans in a big bowl and they pass the bowl around and scoop out their own beans onto their toast? If you serve pizza could they add their own toppings (might not have time though in 45 mins), if you serve sandwiches and salad veg/fruit again do it buffet style and model how they can all be courteous to each other. What do they do at the end of the meal - do they ask if they may leave the table? Do they help clear up? She/he will look at how you nurture relationships amongst all your mindees.

Most of all though, it is important to address the issues from last time. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

10. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of advice given

I have been minding over 20 years so had a fair few inspections. The latest one, last year, was the first when I didn't have little ones during the day. I only had one day a week after school with a schoolie still within EYFS, others were older.

Inspector did say I could have a 'no children' inspection so get a 'met' rather than a grade. I didn't want that as I was Outstanding grade previously so asked if she could to take in the time when the EYFS child was here. She arrived for 1.30pm, did all the paperwork and chat stuff with me then met the children after school - 4 in total.
    As we had been through things already she just wanted to see me in practice and all went well - even when she was thinking they were not being allowed to manage their own risks - until one 7 yr old boy tied another to the apple tree with a skipping rope! Thankfully they showed our rule of saying stop when you have had enough and he was released - all in fun.

They had washed hands, had snacks etc. I don't do tea for them - Tues is village chip van night which is the routine for all. She only had 30 mins or so with the children and I just carried on as normal.

I still had childs file from when she was pre school age and also scrapbook which I keep now,even for older ones, with photos and drawings if they want to add them - inspector liked those.

If you have addressed the things that gave you needs improvement, you will be fine. Just prep as much as possible. Good luck!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

12. Likes FloraDora, hectors house liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. My local childminding coordinator is coming for a visit next week to go through everything with me. I have decided to do a picnic style tea so they can help themselves and I can have various healthy options for them to choose from and also an upcycling activity for afterwards (the whole school has an upcycling competition going on so it incorporates all of my mindees in 1 activity!) I just need to make sure all of my policies are up to date and risk assessments etc and I should be good to go. Also I've drafted a letter to pass on to my EYFS child's teacher about sharing info etc and also a questionnaire for both parents and children to fill out. Fingers crossed it will go better than last time!

Thanks again guys xxx

14. Likes Maza, hectors house liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Fletcher View Post
    Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. My local childminding coordinator is coming for a visit next week to go through everything with me. I have decided to do a picnic style tea so they can help themselves and I can have various healthy options for them to choose from and also an upcycling activity for afterwards (the whole school has an upcycling competition going on so it incorporates all of my mindees in 1 activity!) I just need to make sure all of my policies are up to date and risk assessments etc and I should be good to go. Also I've drafted a letter to pass on to my EYFS child's teacher about sharing info etc and also a questionnaire for both parents and children to fill out. Fingers crossed it will go better than last time!

Thanks again guys xxx
    Sounds like you are all sorted. I would do a picnic tea before they come if it's not a regular tea time offering - establish ground rules of helping themselves, taking turns etc.. So you are not doing a brand new meal organisation when inspected. Some schoolies are not renowned for their politeness around food and they will soon let on if this is different to norm.

Good luck.