I attended two meetings with Ofsted on my day ‘off’ last week. The first was in my capacity as childminder representative on the Ofsted Big Conversation North West steering group. I took a list of childminder concerns to the meeting with me – and of course the group providers (nurseries, pre-schools, before and after school clubs) had their own points to discuss with Ofsted.

Information from the second meeting I attended is here - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...09-2016-a.html.

Here are some of the things we discussed and some of the replies I gained on behalf of childminders –

The level 3 complaints process – this is the process when a provider has complained about an inspection outcome to the inspector (level 1) … then complained to the company which did the inspection – usually Tribal or Prospect (level 2) … then complained directly to Ofsted (level 3). The level 3 has been in place for some time now and is generally considered to be a very positive step forward. The good news is that there are no changes to the process anticipated by Ofsted.

DBS issues – Ofsted are sympathetic but they do not administer DBS checks – this is the responsibility of Capita. They refer providers with issues directly to Capita.

Ofsted confirmed that early years providers do NOT need to renew police, CRB or early DBS checks if nothing changes. However, if they have the new-style DBS checks they must be updated annually and if the update date is missed, Ofsted must be informed and a new DBS must be applied for – which is why it is so important to put the update date in your diary and action it in good time (including changing card details if necessary) regardless of whether you receive an email from Capita or not.

Complaints after inspection – Ofsted report that the early years sector typically sees the lowest amount of post-inspection complaints! They also advise that even if the complaint is not upheld by Ofsted, they often make changes to their procedures or inspector training as a result of received complaints. Providers should feel empowered to speak up if they feel their inspection was unfair or the inspector’s reaction to something they do was disproportionate.

Disqualification by association – providers are reminded that they need to inform Ofsted about changes to their suitability – including disqualification from working with children and/or disqualification by association with another person who lives with them. There was a recent consultation which might lead to changes in the rules but this was NOT relevant to childminders because we work from our homes.

Vague replies to questions from Ofsted – we know that Ofsted no longer advise on many issues such as variation requests and tell us to risk assess, read the EYFS and make our own judgements… however, we have seen an increase in complaints about the way Ofsted refuse to give straight answers to questions. Ofsted state that it is the responsibility of the person who is applying or making changes or reporting concerns to read the rules and do what is needed – they will not hand-hold – they will refer providers to the guidance and the statutory framework. Ofsted have, like all Government agencies, been subject to spending cuts and that includes less phone line staff to answer questions.

Certificates arriving torn – I shared some photos of torn and crumpled certificates with Ofsted and questioned whether hardback envelopes might resolve the issue. Ofsted are currently looking into it and have suggested certificates might be emailed for the provider to print but they need to ensure this is inclusive because they are aware that many providers – mostly childminders – might not have access to emails or printers.

Informing Ofsted about people who have left the house – if you have a child who is a student and keeps coming back at the weekends and in holidays you do not need to inform Ofsted they have left because they haven’t - this answer has come directly from Ofsted compliance. If you have a child who has permanently left home you do need to inform Ofsted. If an inspector gives you the wrong information be confident and challenge them.

If you need further information or advice please contact me and I will be happy to help or point you in the right direction