Variations - can I request one and will they bring inspection forward?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variations - can I request one and will they bring inspection forward?

Hello,

Im expecting my second child in December.

In my care currently I have:

- My 2 year old daughter everyday
    - A 2 year old four days a week
    - A 12 month old 3 half days a week

My questions are......

Can I apply for a variation to have 4 under 5 when my new baby arrives? I am not taking on any school kids and the current children are dropped off and picked up at mine.

If I can apply for the variation and I find I am coping well, can I then fill the days where I have one space open at present with another child. So I would always have 4 under 5 but its just my week would be fuller. Hope that makes sense. So at present I have 2 days of my week where I have a space. So if I got the variation could I add another child to the mix on those 2 days where there is currently a space? This is of course if I feel like im coping. Im sure we all know how newborns suck out your soul!!!

Then of course the biggie.......I just got registered end of June this year. Ive read on here that variations bring mini inspections. I assume they do this before the baby arrives? Also do you think they will actually bring my graded inspection forward with regard to this variation?

It would be a shame to let this new family down if I cant get a variation but from what I am reading my criteria doesnt really fit the requirements except for the continuity of care in exceptional circumstances rule. Then im guessing I wont be able to fill the other gaps I have unless I fill them before my baby arrives.

Any advice would be great. I appreciate this forum so much!!!

Nearly forgot.....how do I apply for it? Just by email?

Thanks!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the EYFS framework changed a few years back, we no longer apply to Ofsted for variations. Now it's up to us to decide if we fit the criteria for increasing our numbers.

One of the situations when you can increase your numbers is when you have a baby of your own. So if you already have 3 children some days, you would be able to keep them all on after your baby is born. On the day when you only have 2 children you wouldn't be able to take on a 4th child after your baby is born. The only way you could go to 4 on those days would be if one of the children on the other days needed to increase or change their days.

Before you increase to 4 children you need to risk assess - do you have sufficient floor space, do you have sufficient equipment etc. If you look in the resources on here I'm sure there's some info on preparing a risk assessment.

You don't tell Ofsted you're doing it, so increasing your numbers wouldn't trigger an inspection - they wouldn't know you're doing it unless someone told them (eg. a complaint that you're over minding). You would have to explain it at your normal inspection. You would have to show that you have done a thorough risk assessment, that you can meet the needs of all the children and that their development isn't compromised by you having an extra child.

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow I see! I thought we had to tell them. Well thats good then!!! I definitely have the floor space but I will perform a good risk assessment! My baby is going in a sling this time around. I cant believe how late I discovered slings last time around.

Ok so no additional children after the baby is born. To be honest I will probably just stick to what I have now and not overdo it.

Thats great to know all that. I was thinking new baby/just started/christmas/inspection and panicking a bit lol.

Thanks!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Sample risk assessment here - Changes to Conditions of Registration

Floor space rules here - Space Requirements

hth
    Thanks Sarah. That's fab!!!

6. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be caring for 4 under five soon. When I checked with my insurance company, they insisted I tell ofsted. Ofsted weren't particularly interested though.

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gef918 View Post
    I'm going to be caring for 4 under five soon. When I checked with my insurance company, they insisted I tell ofsted. Ofsted weren't particularly interested though.
    Have you had a graded inspection prior to that? I only got registered June this year so I wondered if they would want to come out if my insurance company wanted me to tell them.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathremuk View Post
    Have you had a graded inspection prior to that? I only got registered June this year so I wondered if they would want to come out if my insurance company wanted me to tell them.
    No, it is really no big issue at all, as long as you are following EYFS and the DofEd guidance.

The kind of thing that prompts an inspection are complaints and allegations (although with an explanation over the phone even that may not prompt a visit), safeguarding concerns and maybe things like serious accident/incident at the setting. It costs time and money to send out an inspector, they don't do it if not really needed. They work through the CMers in turn, and they seem to work in areas at a time.
    Your time will come, but no point worrying about if it will be sooner or later, what will be will be!