Ofsted inspection & sleeping baby
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 20
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted inspection & sleeping baby

Hi,, I am due an inspection within the next month and have a bit of a dilemma. I have a 15 month old baby who will only sleep in the pushchair whilst she is with me, she is in a perfect routine of bottle and then sleep, sometimes sleeping for a couple of hours, she will not sleep in the travel cot, having tried this numerous times since she started with me, it distressed everyone, having spoke to mum we have decided to carry on letting her sleep in the pushchair for now.
    Question number one, are Ofsted likely to frown against this, even though mum has signed a letter to say she agrees with this.
    Question number two, she will often fall asleep for about 2 hours in the morning, as she doesn't sleep at home, how is this going to go down with Ofsted as she will be the only child I have when Ofsted come, I can't force her to stay awake, beginning to think I could really suffer with inspection because of this, will be able to fit in activities before and after the sleep, what happens though in between, HELP!!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At my inspection, I put the pushchair in the back garden, up on the patio, outside my kitchen window whilst the inspector was there, and said it was for my LO to sleep in later.

no more was said, and inspector had left before LO had a sleep.

I had mentioned in my SEF about working with parents, and following parents/childs needs when possible/safe, and that I often had LOs sleeping outside in buggies ( and sometimes when it is warm, sleeping in the tents/dens! )

When the inspector phones you to arrange to visit, tell her ( him ) that the LO you mind, usually has a 2 hour morning sleep, and you are concerned about how it might affect your inspection. It might be that the inspector then comes in the afternoon, or later in the morning.

good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    At my inspection, I put the pushchair in the back garden, up on the patio, outside my kitchen window whilst the inspector was there, and said it was for my LO to sleep in later.

no more was said, and inspector had left before LO had a sleep.

I had mentioned in my SEF about working with parents, and following parents/childs needs when possible/safe, and that I often had LOs sleeping outside in buggies ( and sometimes when it is warm, sleeping in the tents/dens! )

When the inspector phones you to arrange to visit, tell her ( him ) that the LO you mind, usually has a 2 hour morning sleep, and you are concerned about how it might affect your inspection. It might be that the inspector then comes in the afternoon, or later in the morning.

good luck x
    Thats a great idea, thanks, she has had a 3 hour sleep this morning and it's just my luck she will want to do the same on inspection day, bless her, yes I think I will explain when she rings up, I just go a bit brain numb when it comes to Ofsted, my brain seems to go walkabout and things that I can easily relay when I'm talking to everyone else gets lost in translation with Mrs O xx

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckylady22 View Post
    Thats a great idea, thanks, she has had a 3 hour sleep this morning and it's just my luck she will want to do the same on inspection day, bless her, yes I think I will explain when she rings up, I just go a bit brain numb when it comes to Ofsted, my brain seems to go walkabout and things that I can easily relay when I'm talking to everyone else gets lost in translation with Mrs O xx
    Good advice about explaining to the inspector that an afternoon inspection would suit you better and explain why. The inspectors are generally very accommodating when they phone, well mine was anyway. Best of luck.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel you might go blank when Ofsted phone then make your self a list of things and keep it handy by the phone- questions to ask, things you want to say, baby's routine etc.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Good advice about explaining to the inspector that an afternoon inspection would suit you better and explain why. The inspectors are generally very accommodating when they phone, well mine was anyway. Best of luck.
    Thanks for your advice, another querie if you don't mind, I only have an upstairs toilet and my "older" children who are 4, nearly 5 and 3, nearly 4, independently use my toilet and are able to flush it. However, both of them struggle with turning my tap on and washing their hands properly and so I have always allowed them to do it downstairs where I can monitor it, when they come back down, not ideal, I know, but with other younger children downstairs, it is sometimes hard to "juggle" the commitments of independence without a bit of compromise, now my question is when Ofsted come do I go upstairs with the older children if they need to the toilet and take the other children with me or explain to the Inspector this is they way I do it and do as I always do? Any suggestions would be great xx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckylady22 View Post
    Thanks for your advice, another querie if you don't mind, I only have an upstairs toilet and my "older" children who are 4, nearly 5 and 3, nearly 4, independently use my toilet and are able to flush it. However, both of them struggle with turning my tap on and washing their hands properly and so I have always allowed them to do it downstairs where I can monitor it, when they come back down, not ideal, I know, but with other younger children downstairs, it is sometimes hard to "juggle" the commitments of independence without a bit of compromise, now my question is when Ofsted come do I go upstairs with the older children if they need to the toilet and take the other children with me or explain to the Inspector this is they way I do it and do as I always do? Any suggestions would be great xx
    Do what you normally do but explain your reasons to the inspector when you send the first one up, you have made ahold risk assessment and come up with a suitable solution. Same with baby sleeping explain to the inspector why you do what you do and what you would do for another child who might sleep in the cot. The Insoectors realise we do the best for the children but can't guess by just looking explain everything you want her to know and take into consideration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin22 View Post
    Hi,, I am due an inspection within the next month and have a bit of a dilemma. I have a 15 month old baby who will only sleep in the pushchair whilst she is with me, she is in a perfect routine of bottle and then sleep, sometimes sleeping for a couple of hours, she will not sleep in the travel cot, having tried this numerous times since she started with me, it distressed everyone, having spoke to mum we have decided to carry on letting her sleep in the pushchair for now.
    Question number one, are Ofsted likely to frown against this, even though mum has signed a letter to say she agrees with this.
    Question number two, she will often fall asleep for about 2 hours in the morning, as she doesn't sleep at home, how is this going to go down with Ofsted as she will be the only child I have when Ofsted come, I can't force her to stay awake, beginning to think I could really suffer with inspection because of this, will be able to fit in activities before and after the sleep, what happens though in between, HELP!!!
    hi, i am just wondering how this went at your inspection because i also have a baby that i mind that sleeps a lot! Thanks !

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your inspection may have come but if it helps - the toileting issue: if children were at a nursery then they would probably leave the nursery room and go on there own ...so your system is fine. Just discuss it with inspector and she will know you have thought and reviewed the issue and you are confident in your final arrangements.