Outstanding or good
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Outstanding or good

I'm just wondering if any of you achieved outstanding on your first inspection or is it correct that Ofsted won't give outstanding if it is your first inspection? Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    I'm just wondering if any of you achieved outstanding on your first inspection or is it correct that Ofsted won't give outstanding if it is your first inspection? Thanks
    They certainly do give outstanding on the first inspection. Sadly, there are stories of particular inspectors saying they 'don't' but there is no rule to say that and I got outstanding first time after just a couple of months working as a CM (and no child care experience previously either).
    The new CIF grade descriptors (in Ofsted booklet ref 150068, 'EY Inspection Handbook', Aug '15) allow you to clearly read what the inspector is exactly looking for- they literally go through it point by point. So if really helps if you do the same before the inspection- tick off exactly where you think you are and identify the gaps you need to work on.
    The new later first inspection (up to 30mths after registration, rather then the previous 'within 6mths') allows CMers to build up a good CPD folder, evidence of working in partnership etc and hopefully the confidence and experience to be able to go into their first inspection with a good chance of doing really well and showing off their abilities.

3. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They will give 'outstanding' on first inspection, see the end paragraph of my post#34 in Outstanding nursery closure . But there seem to be a lot of inspectres who won't.

Some will cook up the craziest excuses to avoid awarding 'outstanding' to CMs. A CM friend of mine was told, at what her inspectre believed was her first inspection, that she lacked the experience required for an 'outstanding' grade. In fact, experience is not a requirement. She pointed out that she had a dozen+ years' experience, including previously being a CM then letting her registration lapse before recently re-registering.

The inspectre then decided, this being October 2012, that she couldn't possibly demonstrate she was following all the September 2012 changes to EYFS. If that were true, then why were Ofsted conducting inspections at that time? Another failed appeal then followed.

5. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when the outstanding grade first came out, they were very few and far between. My friend was given outstanding some time after the grade began, and the inspector CRIED, as it was the first time she had given that grade to a childminder!!!!

My inspector kept going back to the guidance and asking me questions from it. I guess it's like a marking scheme. My daughter loves these, and always knows at school what she needs to do to get her marks.

When I did my SEF, I printed out a selection of outstanding reports, and used these as a type of marking scheme. Other childminders often give you a funny look when you say that you have looked at other peoples reports, but they are public documents, and freely available for everyone to look at.

I like Watchsted, this makes it easy to look at completed inspections. Their website says that children's centres can do a slightly different search, and that they can search by inspector. This would be so useful.

7. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector said before we started she can't give out outstanding in any area to a newly registered childminder as there would be no where for me to improve... I'd graded myself outstanding on a couple of sections of the sef!

9. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    My inspector said before we started she can't give out outstanding in any area to a newly registered childminder as there would be no where for me to improve... I'd graded myself outstanding on a couple of sections of the sef!
    That is the kind of comment that needs immediate reporting to Ofsted as a complaint.

11. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, looking back it just doesn't seem right, but this was 2014 and I'd only been minding about 6 weeks when they came out so knew no better, and the lady was nice but it did seem a very unfair comment to make!

13. Likes Amanda70 liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had read lots of posts on social media that said you cannot get outstanding on your first inspection. I prepared for this as I knew I was outstanding. The inspector phoned and when I researched her it was not good reading....a key blogger was contesting her assessment, lots of CM's said it was an awful inspection.....the LEA advisor said this inspector had a reputation of being difficult....I was not a happy bunny as the week approached!
    But in my experience she was fine. She assessed me at the level I expected, I discussed all areas with her and was confident and made sure I covered all areas, even if she didn't. I found her great, lots of next steps for me discussed around my own action plan. I got the grade I wanted....the LEA said I was lucky as did other CM's who had experienced her ....it was tricky because All I could say was that I met the outstanding criteria ....I didn't think I was lucky I had worked hard every day to achieve that level! But actually I was also implying that the others hadn't !

This might not sit well and Sound that I am blowing my own trumpet but, if what they see on the day and your evidence backs it up in progress, parent involvement, knowledge etc then you will get the grade you think you are.
    I personally have read posts on Facebook from someone who received a notice to improve grading, a grading I think is accurate given the observations I had seen at groups we attended together and discussions I had with her. But it was obviously the inspector that was wrong and inconsistent from her feedback.
    What I am trying to say is none of us really know what our colleagues are doing day in day out. The default is to cover yourself by blaming the inspector or something else if the grade you think you will get is lower.
    Know the EY inside out, show that you have a great learning environment and you know your children well, teach as you normally do when they observe, show evidence that what they are observing is normal, through the children's routine , photos, parent reviews etc, know about safeguarding, show you can reflect.. And you will be fine.
    I think we have come through an era of inconsistent inspections and we are now on the straight run, given the research of grades in my area. lots of childminders have been graded good or outstanding on their first inspection, I would say only 10% are graded less.
    Have confidence, don't pay attention to hearsay.

15. Likes Amanda70, loocyloo, singingcactus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    They certainly do give outstanding on the first inspection. Sadly, there are stories of particular inspectors saying they 'don't' but there is no rule to say that and I got outstanding first time after just a couple of months working as a CM (and no child care experience previously either).
    The new CIF grade descriptors (in Ofsted booklet ref 150068, 'EY Inspection Handbook', Aug '15) allow you to clearly read what the inspector is exactly looking for- they literally go through it point by point. So if really helps if you do the same before the inspection- tick off exactly where you think you are and identify the gaps you need to work on.
    The new later first inspection (up to 30mths after registration, rather then the previous 'within 6mths') allows CMers to build up a good CPD folder, evidence of working in partnership etc and hopefully the confidence and experience to be able to go into their first inspection with a good chance of doing really well and showing off their abilities.
    with the grade descriptors though, aren't these just open to interpretation? For instance for outstanding it says "The quality of teaching, learning and assessment is outstanding" but that's not black and white its open to whether the inspector thinks it is or not?

I am not disagreeing with you, just thinking out loud! :-) x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    with the grade descriptors though, aren't these just open to interpretation? For instance for outstanding it says "The quality of teaching, learning and assessment is outstanding" but that's not black and white its open to whether the inspector thinks it is or not?

I am not disagreeing with you, just thinking out loud! :-) x
    Yes, there will always be a level of interpretation involved. That is why I find a thorough SEF, full of evidence, helps me and the inspector. They can only give an outstanding grade of they can justify it and to do that they need evidence to go in their report to the Ofsted Quality Assurance dept.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They do outline in detail what evidence they should see to achieve outstanding in the grade descriptors so it isn't just a value judgement.
    eg :

Outstanding (1)
     All practitioners have very high expectations of what each child can achieve, including the most able and the most disadvantaged.
     Teaching is consistently of a very high quality, inspirational and worthy of dissemination to others; it is highly responsive to children’s needs.
     Practitioners use their expert knowledge of the areas of learning and deep understanding of how children learn to provide rich, varied and imaginative experiences that enthuse, engage and motivate children to learn.
     Accurate assessment, including through high quality observations, is rigorous and sharply focused and includes all those involved in the child’s learning and development. Where appropriate, children are involved in the process. Information from assessment is used to secure timely interventions and support, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the child and their family.
     Provision across all areas of learning is planned meticulously and based on regular and precise assessments of children’s achievement so that every child undertakes highly challenging activities.
     Highly successful strategies engage parents, including those from different groups, in their children’s learning, both in the setting and at home.
     Practitioners provide an exceptional range of resources and activities that reflect and value the diversity of children’s experiences. They actively challenge gender, cultural and racial stereotyping and help children gain an understanding of people, families and communities beyond their immediate experience.
     The extremely sharp focus on helping children to acquire communication and language skills, and on supporting their physical, personal, social and emotional development, gives children the foundations for future learning

In your SEF you can outline where you think you are and quote evidence to back this up using the grade descriptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    They do outline in detail what evidence they should see to achieve outstanding in the grade descriptors so it isn't just a value judgement. eg : Outstanding (1)  All practitioners have very high expectations of what each child can achieve, including the most able and the most disadvantaged.  Teaching is consistently of a very high quality, inspirational and worthy of dissemination to others; it is highly responsive to children’s needs.  Practitioners use their expert knowledge of the areas of learning and deep understanding of how children learn to provide rich, varied and imaginative experiences that enthuse, engage and motivate children to learn.  Accurate assessment, including through high quality observations, is rigorous and sharply focused and includes all those involved in the child’s learning and development. Where appropriate, children are involved in the process. Information from assessment is used to secure timely interventions and support, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the child and their family.  Provision across all areas of learning is planned meticulously and based on regular and precise assessments of children’s achievement so that every child undertakes highly challenging activities.  Highly successful strategies engage parents, including those from different groups, in their children’s learning, both in the setting and at home.  Practitioners provide an exceptional range of resources and activities that reflect and value the diversity of children’s experiences. They actively challenge gender, cultural and racial stereotyping and help children gain an understanding of people, families and communities beyond their immediate experience.  The extremely sharp focus on helping children to acquire communication and language skills, and on supporting their physical, personal, social and emotional development, gives children the foundations for future learning. In your SEF you can outline where you think you are and quote evidence to back this up using the grade descriptors.
    I think this is down to interpretation though. For instance it's not a tick box thing it's based on their perception of your setting.
    You could argue each point with them but it's not black or white

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I think this is down to interpretation though. For instance it's not a tick box thing it's based on their perception of your setting.
    You could argue each point with them but it's not black or white
    I disagree. It certainly used to be from what I could tell, but Ofsted have moved forward, listened to the regional groups etc and whilst every assessment is based on the person assessing's opinion, there are clear guidelines now which have to be justified to the QA folk after the inspection by examples of observations and evidence.
    Moderation is how you get standardisation and a friend of mine who has just trained as an inspector had to attend lots of moderating training where she herself has been assessed, she has accompanied an experienced inspector and compared her assessments to the experienced inspector and discussed in detail, she has been accompanied on 3 inspections so far by a senior inspector - all to establish that her judgements are standardised and accurate.

Don't worry that the inspector will interpret the descriptors and assess different to how you think - just make sure you can show lots of evidence on the day which makes sure she can have no other opinion than you are the grade you think you are and it will be easy for her to justify this to the quality assurance dept that she has to submit her report to.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    They do outline in detail what evidence they should see to achieve outstanding in the grade descriptors so it isn't just a value judgement.
    eg :

Outstanding (1)
     All practitioners have very high expectations of what each child can achieve, including the most able and the most disadvantaged.
     Teaching is consistently of a very high quality, inspirational and worthy of dissemination to others; it is highly responsive to children’s needs.
     Practitioners use their expert knowledge of the areas of learning and deep understanding of how children learn to provide rich, varied and imaginative experiences that enthuse, engage and motivate children to learn.
     Accurate assessment, including through high quality observations, is rigorous and sharply focused and includes all those involved in the child’s learning and development. Where appropriate, children are involved in the process. Information from assessment is used to secure timely interventions and support, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the child and their family.
     Provision across all areas of learning is planned meticulously and based on regular and precise assessments of children’s achievement so that every child undertakes highly challenging activities.
     Highly successful strategies engage parents, including those from different groups, in their children’s learning, both in the setting and at home.
     Practitioners provide an exceptional range of resources and activities that reflect and value the diversity of children’s experiences. They actively challenge gender, cultural and racial stereotyping and help children gain an understanding of people, families and communities beyond their immediate experience.
     The extremely sharp focus on helping children to acquire communication and language skills, and on supporting their physical, personal, social and emotional development, gives children the foundations for future learning

In your SEF you can outline where you think you are and quote evidence to back this up using the grade descriptors.
    FloraDora this is excellent advice especially going through your SEF with a fine toothcomb and comparing the above with what happens in your setting. My SEF was my life saver on my inspection day.

22. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I used some of the phrases from other outstanding reports as a guide and memory prompt for my SEF. I used the outstanding reports of local childminders that I knew and respected, and thought, 'oh, I do that'.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I got Outstanding (back in 2009). It was my first inspection, only one child and had only had him for about 6 months. It can be done. Not sure about now though, as they seem to be quite tough.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I used some of the phrases from other outstanding reports as a guide and memory prompt for my SEF. I used the outstanding reports of local childminders that I knew and respected, and thought, 'oh, I do that'.
    Did you get outstanding kirsty? You should update your profile :-) x