Q's about inspections
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Q's about inspections

So I realised I had loads of questions relating to inspections so thought I would put them in one post so if anyone knows the answer to any of them I would really appreciate it! :-)

• Does the inspector usually ring the week prior to inspection with a date for the following week or can it be done in the same week?

• Do they tend to inspect in school holidays?

• What do you call the inspector or refer to them as to the children?

• What times do they usually inspect you, I often hear between 9 and lunchtime or can it be any time of day?

• Do they tell you your grade at the end? Are you able to discuss your thoughts on it with them?

• Do they just look at the area of the house you use or all of the house?

• Do you keep your own child there or make them go out if you can?!

• If you look after children over the age of 5 are they watching for how you are with them too or just 5 and unders? What about your own child?

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    So I realised I had loads of questions relating to inspections so thought I would put them in one post so if anyone knows the answer to any of them I would really appreciate it! :-)

• Does the inspector usually ring the week prior to inspection with a date for the following week or can it be done in the same week?

• What times do they usually inspect you, I often hear between 9 and lunchtime or can it be any time of day?

• Do they tell you your grade at the end? Are you able to discuss your thoughts on it with them?

• If you look after children over the age of 5 are they watching for how you are with them too or just 5 and unders? What about your own child?
    The inspector will ring UP TO 5 days before and ask if you are working, minding and ,hopefully, what days are best for you. Mine phoned on a Friday afternoon and we agreed the following Monday or Wednesday as Tuesdays and Thursdays are very busy for me ie swimming lessons, toddler group commitments etc. Also the inspector could phone tomorrow and turn up on Wednesday.

I told my lo's a lady was coming to see us. And when I introduced her to the children I used her first name.

They will come whenever you are working, holidays (I'm assuming you mean school holidays when you will be working and not when you are having time off with family).

They will tell you your grade at the end and give reasons for your grade.

She just followed the children from room to room, so the areas they use.

I made my teenage go to school. Up to you.

My understanding is that they are inspecting eyfs children, however also looking to see if you are following requirements for the voluntary and compulsory register also.

This is my 4th inspection. I had my 3 year old son during my second inspection, and I don't want to say she ignored him but she is just interested in the minded children. She is there to see 'what it is like for a child here'.

Other posts ma have different experiences.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

CAN BE ANYTHING- MIGHT BE THE OFSTED OFFICE JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU HAVE EYFS ON ROLE THEN YOU HEAR NOTHING FOR MONTHS... COULD BE A CALL TO SAY THEY WILL BE THERE THAT WEEK... COULD BE A CALL SAYING IT WILL BE IN NEXT WEEK BUT THEN SHE DOESN'T TURN UP AND IT IS ALL DELAYED, COULD BE THAT SHE IS ONLY AVAILABLE ON YOUR EYFS-DAYS ONE DAY IN 2 MONTHS TIME AND SHE SPECIFIES THAT DATE- ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE (I HAVE HEARD OF ALL THESE SCENARIOS).

COULD DO- IF THEY PHONE FAR ENOUGH AHEAD YOU CAN TELL THEM IF YOU HAVE EYFS IN HOLS, BUT IF NOT THEY CAN STILL COME AND DO A NO-CHILDREN-ON-ROLE INSPECTION.

• What do you call the inspector or refer to them as to the children? I USED HER FIRST NAME!

• What times do they usually inspect you, I often hear between 9 and lunchtime or can it be any time of day? CAN BE ANYTIME, THEY WILL ESTABLISH WHEN YOU HAVE EYFS CHILDREN AND WILL TRY TO PLAN ACCORDINGLY. OFTEN THEY SAY STAY IN UNTIL 9.3/10AM AND IF NOT THERE BY THEN GO AHEAD WITH YOUR OUTINGS.

THEY DO TELL YOU THE GRADE AND GO THROUGH THE CIF INSPECTION CRITERIA IN DETAIL TO JUSTIFY THE GRADE. IT IS A DECISION AT THAT A POINT, NOT A DISCUSSION, USUALLY. BUT SPEAK UP IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY.

COULD BE ALL AREAS- IF THEY ARE CONCERNED THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING DANGEROUS OR SUSPICIOUS IN A ROOM THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO LOOK ANYWHERE. OR THEY MIGHT NOT GET OFF THEIR CHAIR FOR THE WHOLE FOUR HOURS.

• Do you keep your own child there or make them go out if you can?! DEPENDS ON THE CHILD AND WHAT IS EASIEST FOR YOU. I WOULD RATHER MY OWN CHILDREN WERE NOT THERE BECAUSE THEY CAN BE A PAIN!

• If you look after children over the age of 5 are they watching for how you are with them too or just 5 and unders? What about your own child? THE INSPECTION IS FOR EYFS SO ONLY INTERESTED IN EYFS AGES, I BELIEVE- BUT OF COURSE IF THEY SEE ANYTHING OF CONCERN WITH ANY CHILD THEY SHOULD RAISE IT. THEY WILL ALSO BE LOOKING FOR ANY NEGATIVE IMPACT OF THE OLDER CHILDREN ON THE EYFS CHILDREN.

I HOPE THOSE ANSWERS ARE CORRECT, THEY ARE AS FAR AS I KNOW!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they tell you your grade at the end? Are you able to discuss your thoughts on it with them?

The inspector will ring UP TO 5 days before and ask if you are working, minding and hopefully what days are best for you. Mine phoned on a Friday afternoon and we agreed the following Monday or Wednesday as Tuesdays and Thursdays are very busy for me ie swimming lessons, toddler group commitments etc. Bu that also means the inspector could phone tomorrow and turn up on Wednesday.

I told my lo's a lady was coming to see us and watch what we do and not to worry. And when I introduced her to the children I used her first name.

They will come whenever you are working, holidays (I'm assuming you mean school holidays when you will be working and not when you are having time off with family).

Mine asked if I did a school run and therefore we agreed she would be here by 10am. When I returned from school, at 8.55 she was sitting in her car and knocked on my door at 9.15. She left at 12.30. Most of my local inspections see to be done in the mornings. If you are polite and accommodating on the phone I'm sure they will agree to come at the best time that suits you.

They will tell you your grade at the end and give reasons for that grade. They will give you plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Plus, during my inspection I asked her twice if there is anything she would like to see me do/ask the lo's.

She just followed the children from room to room, so the areas they use.

I made my teenage son go to school (he's sitting A2's so lessons are erratic). Up to you.

My understanding is that they are inspecting eyfs children, however also looking to see if you are following requirements for the voluntary and compulsory register also.

This is my 4th inspection. I had my 3 year old son during my second inspection, and I don't want to say she ignored him but she is just interested in the minded children. She is there to see 'what it is like for a child here'.

Other posts may have different experiences, the above are mine.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Both my inspections have been in the morning , but thats down to inspectors preference , travel time , your availability , whether shes trying to fit 2 in in 1 day!
    One of my inspections was the day after the call , the other a week later. One was in August in the school holidays.
    I kept my son with me when he was 3 , sent him to play elsewhere when he was 8.
    My first inspector checked the whole house , the second only downstairs.
    The ''discusssion '' at the end was definitely feedback , too late to say anything tat will effect the decision.

Post Thanks / Like

My safeguarding policy states that visitors are never left alone with mindees so and therefore visitors will never be in a situation where their mobile phone/camera/IT equipment usage could lead to potential allegations but what am I supposed to say to the inspector about their mobile phone when they arrive? Do I have to ask them to leave it in their car, switch it off or leave it in the porch....not sure I know!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst my inspector was standing in my front hall I said that I had a mobile phone policy and that did she have a mobile phone? 'yes' she replied and that it was in her pocket switch off. She pointed to her coat pocket. I asked her if she had any other gadgets that could video/photograph my minded children and she said 'no'. I then babbled on that my mobile phone is switched on and that if it rings or I receive a text to please excuse me but I would be answering it as it may be a parent. I also said that if she had to look at her phone, make a phone call or answer it could she please notify me and go outside. Plus get my attention as she leaves the house so I could secure the door behind her. She smiled and said 'yes'.
    I have to say that I said all this and she was only in my house minutes and I was shaking, but I looked as if I was in complete control. You are proving that are keeping your mind children safe, so say your bit.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good answers already (especially the lovely Moggy's) but here's my 2d-'orth, based on a mere two graded inspections.

My first inspector called the week before but did not specify a date. Despite my protestations, we were obliged to stay in 3 days waiting for her, so we missed the usual toddler groups and my mindee was therefore very much out of routine by the time she arrived.

Last year, we were called in the summer. I panicked a bit because we were just about to close to have some work done on the house, then reopen in a fully safe state, but in need of decoration. Prospects agreed to delay the visit until the end of the summer holidays: in any case, we have very erratic attendance in the summer as most my families are TTO. In fact, they didn't come until November. For that, my inspector phoned a few days ahead and proposed the target date she had planned, but warned she could not guarantee this. All the same, that was so much better than sitting around waiting for 3 days and far less disruptive for the mindees.

See above.

I used first names and told the children "don't worry - she's 'allowed'," which is my term for a safe person such as another mindee's parent. Like the d1ckhe4d I am, I spent the best part of a day calling my most recent inspector by the wrong name . Credit to her, she was totally unphased, not offended and not the least bit prejudiced by my obvious incompetence/insanity.

Note to self: refer to all future officials as "Citizen" or "Agent of State Oppression".

Mine have always arrived reasonably early in the morning.

Mine told me the proposed grade, but warned it would not be official until "quality assured" - which I believe is what Prospects managers do to justify their otherwise vaguely futile existence. This is common to virtually all management personnel in the (so-called) UK.

Regrettably, I have so far failed to tempt any inspector into the Bunyip Boudoir. OTOH this has been a source of considerable relief to Mrs B who definitely does not want anyone inspecting her big-knickers drawer.

One of my grandchildren was at my first inspection, inconveniently in bits because mum and dad had just split up, resulting in a move of house. My inspector was very considerate and sensitive over this.

If you do decide to send them out, make sure it is not an errand to the offy for booze and fags.

Hasn't applied here.
    Last edited by bunyip; 04-02-2016 at 06:18 PM.

9. Likes moggy liked this post
    Simona Guest

Be very careful about advising cms that an inspector will ring 5 days in advance of an inspection...the guidance says 'no more than 5 days'

I do not think this is correct and cms have been contacted a lot earlier than 5 days....please check it out!

Many of the questions in the OP can be found in the Ofsted guidance where it explains step by step how an inspector will contact cms and what happens next and during an inspection

make sure you have read that guidance and know it inside out as well as how an inspector will look for, report and judge cms at inspection.
    Last edited by Simona; 19-02-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I was called after lunch in the Thursday, she asked about my availability and said that she would be with me Monday or Tuesday, and then repeated the days underlining the Monday as she was speaking.

She arrived at 9.40. But had driven along way to get here.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I was called after lunch in the Thursday, she asked about my availability and said that she would be with me Monday or Tuesday, and then repeated the days underlining the Monday as she was speaking.

She arrived at 9.40. But had driven along way to get here.
    Thank you for your reply.
    My comment was about not relying on 5 days which is often mentioned here
    It sounds like your inspector followed the guidance to the letter
    I also have heard of cms who were given very little notice...certainly not 5 days...that is why I thought it good to alert cms.

It was just a warning...inspectors should also not state the day they will inspect but...as yours did...give a couple of options and tell a cm at what time they are free to go out if the inspector has not showed on those days...I do not think that has changed.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If Ofsted ever needed one of those pithy commercial buy-lines to represent their mission statement and values, then may I propose the following? .................................................. .

"Ofsted: Inconsistency you can rely on."

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    My comment was about not relying on 5 days which is often mentioned here
    It sounds like your inspector followed the guidance to the letter
    I also have heard of cms who were given very little notice...certainly not 5 days...that is why I thought it good to alert cms.

It was just a warning...inspectors should also not state the day they will inspect but...as yours did...give a couple of options and tell a cm at what time they are free to go out if the inspector has not showed on those days...I do not think that has changed.
    Yes Simona, I was phoned on the Friday and she mentioned the following Monday or Wednesday. If she didn't appear by 10am on the Monday I was to go about my normal day and she would then definitely see me on the Wednesday. She was parked outside my house on the Wednesday at 8.55am as I was returning from the school run. I found waiting in for her on the Monday morning extremely hard.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

There are probably times ( but I'm really just guessing here) that they have to alter their plans to do complaint driven / no notice inspections. I assume both types of inspections can be done by the same people. Maybe if the complaint is serious enough, they would need to drop their planned inspection to do an unplanned one.

16. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

Bunyip...I think we have known for a while that Ofsted have made a 'few mistakes' in the past and have lacked consistency at times...but they have had to admit to those and I think a little improvement has been seen

If we feel they are not consistent and do not follow their own guidance or the DfE's.....there are avenues to raise those worries...OBC being one of them and I hope OBC will last for a very long time....other opportunities are also coming up

Moh...yours sounds like another inspector who followed the guidance....good to hear....inspectors waiting outside when cms return from their school run is not unheard of...yes some of them drive a long way
    And yes again it is hard having to wait if one day goes and she did not turn up...it has happened to thousands of us

K1rstie...if an inspection turns up where it has to be done without notice...such as one with safeguarding issues.... then yes they will take precedence and we are left waiting....that is no secret either and no need to guess as it is well known that is what happens.

All I said is that the 5 days mentioned in the guidance may actually turn out to be less than that.....personally I would be happy with less but that is my choice.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    There are probably times ( but I'm really just guessing here) that they have to alter their plans to do complaint driven / no notice inspections. I assume both types of inspections can be done by the same people. Maybe if the complaint is serious enough, they would need to drop their planned inspection to do an unplanned one.
    That happened to me once and the Inspector rang me and apologised and actually fixed a day and date to come. It can work the other way as well. Apparently Inspectors carry a list of Inspections due so if they went to a Pre School or Nursery that was unexpectedly closed they may call a cm in the area to do an inspection.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have always given an indicator of when they might come, if I'm not there by ten..... I will be gone before then (when I mentioned I leave at 2.30 to do school run) usually get I'm coming next week.
    A friend got the call Monday night, InSpector turned up Tuesday morning.
    I once has an inspection over two mornings. (Ages ago when education and care was inspected separately if you offered funding)
    During my last inspection I asked her if I could trust her with her mobile phone not to take photos or did I need to lock it in my special drawer that I use for after schoolies (smiling) she said no and promised to keep it in her bag in sight of me.

Post Thanks / Like

What dyou do if you're minding say one baby who sleeps a large part of the inspection?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What dyou do if you're minding say one baby who sleeps a large part of the inspection?
    Depends- if the baby is awake when inspector arrives, but you know baby will be going down for a nap soon, just let the inspector know- the inspector will want to know the routines of the children anyway, and the inspector will be watching your interactions for the time the baby is awake.
    If the baby is asleep when inspector arrives, they will be there 3+ hours so the baby will surely wake in that time and then inspector will see you with baby.
    Mu inspector used the time that toddler was asleep for talking to me. We didn't speak much when mindee was awake!
    They can tell a lot from a very short time! They also see so much from our photos and LJs etc.
    Don't worry about it, inspectors know what babies/children are like... of course they sleep, they have tantrums, they do unexpected things etc!

22. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Don't worry about it, inspectors know what babies/children are like... of course they sleep, they have tantrums, they do unexpected things etc!
    They can also say embarrassing things such as 'when's that old lady going home?'