Counting your own children in ratios even if in school
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Counting your own children in ratios even if in school

Hi, I've just clarified with ofsted about ratios as at my pre reg visit I was informed I would need to count my 2 own children in ratios even though at school/nursery and I've been told since that this isn't correct.
    I've just rang them and he did say that because I am the legal guardian then I will need to count them in ratios regardless of me having my parents close by who would have them on the rare occasions when nursery/school is closed ect.
    As I have 2 young children (the oldest starts school in sept) I wish I had discovered this sooner!
    Just thought this info may be of use x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How old are your children?

Post Thanks / Like

They are 3.5yrs and 2yrs. Obviously I knew to include when they are with me but didn't realise I needed to include them when they aren't. And was told different things about it so wanted to ring and clarify! X

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gemgem12 View Post
    Hi, I've just clarified with ofsted about ratios as at my pre reg visit I was informed I would need to count my 2 own children in ratios even though at school/nursery and I've been told since that this isn't correct.
    I've just rang them and he did say that because I am the legal guardian then I will need to count them in ratios regardless of me having my parents close by who would have them on the rare occasions when nursery/school is closed ect.
    As I have 2 young children (the oldest starts school in sept) I wish I had discovered this sooner!
    Just thought this info may be of use x
    Your school aged child will be out of your under 5yr ratio though in Sept
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When your own children are somewhere else they are not in your ratios - you need to risk assess what would happen if they came back.

It is clarified by DfE in a number of documents including this one -

Frequently Asked Questions

I have no idea who you have talked to but you need to challenge them!! x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    When your own children are somewhere else they are not in your ratios - you need to risk assess what would happen if they came back. It is clarified by DfE in a number of documents including this one - Frequently Asked Questions I have no idea who you have talked to but you need to challenge them!! x
    Thankyou Sarah. I wonder why I've been told that twice then, if it's not the case. It's very confusing - this was my first query I wanted clarifying as haven't started minding yet and it's not very reassuring if they haven't given me correct info. X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thankyou Sarah. I wonder why I've been told that twice then, if it's not the case. It's very confusing - this was my first query I wanted clarifying as haven't started minding yet and it's not very reassuring if they haven't given me correct info. X
    Unfortunately it's common for the wrong advice to be given - it's best to find it in documents if possible

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd share on here incase anyone knew to childminding was struggling with this as much as I was!
    I've had clarified that my eldest child will count in my over 5 ratio even though he is only going to be 4yrs. (This is because he'll be in full time education). And when it's school holidays hell count in over 5 ratio too. If child isn't in full time education then they must be counted in ratio even if in nursery or preschool.
    I was so confused that I'd only be able to take on 1 little one because of having to count him even though he'd be at school! But I won't need to - I'll just be counting my 2yr old.
    X

9. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Simona Guest

Just thought I'd share on here incase anyone knew to childminding was struggling with this as much as I was!
    I've had clarified that my eldest child will count in my over 5 ratio even though he is only going to be 4yrs. (This is because he'll be in full time education). And when it's school holidays hell count in over 5 ratio too. If child isn't in full time education then they must be counted in ratio even if in nursery or preschool.
    I was so confused that I'd only be able to take on 1 little one because of having to count him even though he'd be at school! But I won't need to - I'll just be counting my 2yr old.
    X
    Good that it is all sorted for you ...always best to either ask Ofsted or the DfE depending on which conundrum needs sorting