Food Standards Agency Visit/Rating?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Food Standards Agency Visit/Rating?

Hi,

I was wondering if everybody that registers gets a FSA visit, and if so did you get a Rating sent to you, I did but I thought they were only for restaurants?

Emma.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your Local Authority.

Ours had started doing visits to childminders, but that seems to have stopped now. The ones who were visited didn't get a rating though, just an acknowledgement that everything was OK. Some LAs just seem to phone childminders, some email them a questionnaire to complete and some do a rating visit. It all seems a bit hit & miss

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I first started I had a visit and a rating, next visit 3 years later, I had a visit but was told we are no longer given a rating.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I know childminders who have had visits, others how have had calls and others who have had questionnaires.
    I have never had a visit, but always found the calls or questionnaires easy and stress free.

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. I was shocked to receive this green rating sticker to put on the door, I just assumed it was only for restaurants, still after the stress of having this lady go through my kitchen with a fine tooth comb, I am rather proud to display my score of '5' sticker, looks great for parents, and a nice reward in what sometimes feel like the worlds hardest job!

How strange that this process can differ so much by area, I wonder why they don't just do the same everywhere, after all it is Ofsted that are registering us as a food business.

Emma

7. Likes FloraDora, BallyH liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post

How strange that this process can differ so much by area, I wonder why they don't just do the same everywhere, after all it is Ofsted that are registering us as a food business.

Emma
    No, Ofsted only do the job of contacting your LA and handing over your details. It is your LA Env.Health Dept who register you under their own procedures. Ofsted are just saving us the job of contacting Env.Health ourselves (it was introduced a little while back as part of their efforts to 'reduce the burden of paperwork' on CMers)

9. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    No, Ofsted only do the job of contacting your LA and handing over your details. It is your LA Env.Health Dept who register you under their own procedures. Ofsted are just saving us the job of contacting Env.Health ourselves (it was introduced a little while back as part of their efforts to 'reduce the burden of paperwork' on CMers)
    Ah, yes of course, makes sense now thats why its so random!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    Thanks everybody. I was shocked to receive this green rating sticker to put on the door, I just assumed it was only for restaurants, still after the stress of having this lady go through my kitchen with a fine tooth comb, I am rather proud to display my score of '5' sticker, looks great for parents, and a nice reward in what sometimes feel like the worlds hardest job!

Emma
    You don't have to put the sticker on your door. You are not open to the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid question alert!!!

What exactly do they look for? is it just the cleanliness of the kitchen or do you have to cook or show how you prepare food etc?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sez1980 View Post
    Stupid question alert!!!

What exactly do they look for? is it just the cleanliness of the kitchen or do you have to cook or show how you prepare food etc?
    It's everything you would expect from somewhere that offers food
    Cleanliness, food preparation, food storage, fridge temp and layout (cooked and uncooked foods), knowing how germs spread, etc
    There's a booklet you can go through: https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/defaul...l-pack0513.pdf

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sez1980 View Post
    Stupid question alert!!!

Sez1980, do you know if they definitely visit in your area? Mine don't. I have to fill out a yearly questionnaire.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had two visits over the years but they were very relaxed. The only thing I had to do was buy a food thermometer. They also told me to monitor and write down the temp of the fridge every morning but after about a year the writing down of the temp fizzled out. Now I just make sure I check the fridge temp when I go in it.

This year I just got a questionnaire in the post , I filled it in and sent it back., so no visit
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of kitchen safety. This is a terrible photo I took of a recall notice on the window of lidl last week. It shows a 'gloria' fire blanket.
    Anyone who has a blanket from lidl might want to double check their website.
    Attached Images Attached Images