Sarah707- recording 'poor behaviour', reference?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sarah707- recording 'poor behaviour', reference?

Sarah, I saw your helpful paragraph about recording 'poor behaviour' as being a new requirement from the new inspection framework, in your newsletter update I think. I have search for the original reference to this in the new EY Inspection Handbook but can't find it... I would like to reference the original so if you could point me to the right page/paragraph I'd be ever so grateful, thank you x

2. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

bumping up the list! x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Early Years Inspectors handbook - Ofsted reference - 150068

Page 10 - point 37 -

Inspectors should tell the provider that the relevant documentation and information they are likely to need access to includes:
     current staff list and staff qualifications, including paediatric first aid
     a register/list showing the date of birth of all children on roll and routine staffing arrangements
     list of children present at the setting during the inspection (if not shown on the register)
     any information about pre-planned interruptions to normal routines during the inspection, such as off-site visits
     the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) records and any other documents summarising the checks on, and the vetting and employment arrangements of, all staff working at the setting
     all logs that record accidents, exclusions, children taken off roll and incidents of poor behaviour
     all logs of incidents of discrimination including racist incidents
     complaint log and/or evidence of any complaints and resolutions
     safeguarding and child protection policies etc....

Then later in 'effectiveness of leadership and management' it states -

147.Inspectors will make a judgement on the effectiveness of leadership and management by evaluating the extent to which leaders, managers and governors:

actively promote equality and diversity, tackle poor behaviour towards others, including bullying and discrimination, and narrow any gaps in outcomes between different groups of children.

Hope that helps

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sarah, I see it now.

I have made a 'Log of Incident of Discrimination, including Racist Incidents', but didn't spot this one!

I do not want to create more paperwork or forms...
    I am thinking of adapting my 'Accident, Physical Intervention or Incident Record' form to say 'Accident, Physical Intervention or Incident Record (including incidents of poor behaviour)'.

Thank you for pointing this one out.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Thank you, Sarah, I see it now.

I have made a 'Log of Incident of Discrimination, including Racist Incidents', but didn't spot this one!

I do not want to create more paperwork or forms...
    I am thinking of adapting my 'Accident, Physical Intervention or Incident Record' form to say 'Accident, Physical Intervention or Incident Record (including incidents of poor behaviour)'.

Thank you for pointing this one out.
    Thank you Sarah. Moggy, like you, I'm also not doing any more forms so I've just written on the front cover of my duplicated book for 1st aid/medication & incident book 'plus physical intervention & records of poor behaviour'. I hope they don't ask for more as I've got no more room to write on the cover! Also updated incident policy and written a few lines in my sef. Oh, they do like to keep us on our toes!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post

Thank you Sarah. Moggy, like you, I'm also not doing any more forms so I've just written on the front cover of my duplicated book for 1st aid/medication & incident book 'plus physical intervention & records of poor behaviour'. I hope they don't ask for more as I've got no more room to write on the cover! Also updated incident policy and written a few lines in my sef. Oh, they do like to keep us on our toes!
    Good idea!

Simona Guest

I would record any incidents of poor behaviour in the child's own personal file not in a form of any kind
    It is a confidential matter that has to be kept to each individual child...no need at all to devise any additional forms and, Of course, discussed with parents and countersigned by them.

Instances of 'exclusion' in EY settings do raise eyebrows...and we should be very careful about such practice unless we have support in carrying those out in exceptional cases.

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a document that is called record of conversation that basically says what my coversation with parent was about,steps to be taken,time date and parents to sign.
    would this be ok to record behaviour issue,racist remark???

Should I put it somewhere(ie policy)that I leagally have to make a note of any such behaviour /remark

Thanks in advance x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah this is very helpful

Simona Guest

I am scratching my head trying to understand this latest from the CIF
    It has always been a requirement to address 'unacceptable' behaviour whether long or short term...discuss with parents and plan to address it also understand what the cause is.....certain issue in children can cause unacceptable behaviour
    The terminology should be unacceptable not 'poor' so not sure where Ofsted get this from?

Incidents of racist remarks or such like must also be covered in our 'Inclusion, Equal opportunities' policy...it has always been a requirement to challenge those whether from children or parents and record in a child's file
    If anyone has an explanation for this I would be happy to hear it to reflect on.

13. Likes Rick liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I am scratching my head trying to understand this latest from the CIF
    It has always been a requirement to address 'unacceptable' behaviour whether long or short term...discuss with parents and plan to address it also understand what the cause is.....certain issue in children can cause unacceptable behaviour
    The terminology should be unacceptable not 'poor' so not sure where Ofsted get this from?

Incidents of racist remarks or such like must also be covered in our 'Inclusion, Equal opportunities' policy...it has always been a requirement to challenge those whether from children or parents and record in a child's file
    If anyone has an explanation for this I would be happy to hear it to reflect on.
    As we are all inspected under one framework, my take on it is that behaviour especially in schools has nose dived, in some cases out of control and is 'poor' meant to cover so many types of behaviour? So one rule for us all. Definition of 'poor' in the dictionary beside the obvious, financial, is contemptible, despicable, disappointing or disagreeable. So maybe the word is stronger than first thought.

15. Likes hectors house, moggy, lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post
    As we are all inspected under one framework, my take on it is that behaviour especially in schools has nose dived, in some cases out of control and is 'poor' meant to cover so many types of behaviour? So one rule for us all. Definition of 'poor' in the dictionary beside the obvious, financial, is contemptible, despicable, disappointing or disagreeable. So maybe the word is stronger than first thought.
    I agree with you on certain points...we are inspected under one 'flawed' framework which needs to take account of the age and phase of the children in EY settings...however short they will be with us in EY before being schoolified.
    we went along with CIF on the understanding EY would be on equal terms with the rest of the education world.

I understand that behaviour in schools is bad...I chatted to a teacher recently and was touched by what she said ...what are the reasons behind that behaviour poor parenting? social issues? or other ones?

My fear is that we will soon have another label for children 'poor behaviour' ones ...whose names are kept in a special register to be produced at inspections...perish the thought!

The behaviour of ...say a 3year old who spits, as an example ...is to be dealt with differently to that of an 8 year old who spits...the former is learning to guide its own behaviour...the latter obviously cannot....can a 3 year old be put in a special group due to his/her immaturity in PSED or even expelled?

To call that behaviour despicable is a bit too much...yes disagreeable or unacceptable may be better...why not use the terminology we have used for years ...using a common language and not adapt to Wilshaw's terminology?

My question was also whether we need additional paperwork when we already have that requirement in the EYFS.
    I can see that I will not get that.....I will put that question elsewhere

Thank you for your reply and lets hope we are not going to have thousands of cms running to produce additional unrequired documentation.