Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Inspection notice period...

Another thing we were talking about during the Ofsted meeting yesterday with the Ofsted Big Conversation group north west was the pre-inspection notice period. The notice period for childminders will be the same as it always has been under the new framework – an inspector will call up to 5 days ahead to check when you are working.

Procedures for a ‘no children on roll’ inspection are contained in the early years inspection handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...september-2015 not in a separate guidance document like they used to give us … see points 17 – 27.
    All the delegates were saying that we need to plan ahead and use the time between the phone call and arrival of inspector wisely – this is not the time to be implementing new documentation, throwing up displays, painting walls or trying to finish your SEF.

Everything that is listed in the new early years inspection handbook should be securely in place already – they recommend as a minimum reading through it because there are some new record keeping requirements such as noting racist comments and behaviour concerns, attendance monitoring, British values, complying with the Prevent duty … see points 36 and 37.

The new early years inspection handbook is brilliant – it takes you through an inspection from phone call to finish – if you read it now you will feel much better prepared.

The advice is the same for childminders and nurseries / pre-schools – use the time to make sure your evidence folder is up-to-date and you can lay your hands on your DBS, first aid and safeguarding certificates, inform parents that an inspector is coming and ask them for some feedback, take a breath and collect yourself and put everything out you want your inspector to see … this is your chance to shine!
    Note - providers of wrap around care including after school clubs, childminders and nurseries who care for older before and after school children term time and in the holidays do not need to provide evidence of learning and development – this is clearly stated in the new early years inspection handbook … see points 120 – 122.

Wrap around providers still need to comply with the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the eyfs until the children are over 5 and move into the age range covered by the Childcare Register - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...me-childcarers.

I hope that helps

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah x

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Simona Guest

Am I interpreting the CMs Inspection Notification Handbook differently from what I read in here...maybe I have got it wrong?

I understand either the designated inspector or the inspection provider will call a CM.
    The call will be 5 days before the inspection is due...the cm will not be told the day of the inspection.

To me the handbook means that the inspection can happen any day after the call....not 5 days after
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

A cm can be called on a Monday and the inspection can take place the next day.

The handbook is fairly clear I think...or maybe not and I got confused?

This is on page 9 section 34

34. Childminders or group providers that do not operate regularly, such as summer play schemes, will usually receive a call no more than five days before the inspection to check which days they are operating and whether there are children on roll and present.
    The inspector must not specify the date of the inspection but should indicate the time of day by when the inspection will start.
    This will allow the childminder to leave the house if the inspector has not arrived by that time.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what Sarah as said is exactly the same Simona - that an inspector will call 'up to' 5 days ahead.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I think what Sarah as said is exactly the same Simona - that an inspector will call 'up to' 5 days ahead.
    Ah ...thank you
    I just wanted to be sure I have interpreted the guidance correctly.