Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted has been...

hello,

Ofsted has been. She came end of July
    Last inspection was 4 and a half years ago ( and I had Good last time). I said to the inspector that I was expecting to see them at least one year ago but she said that they come once in a cycle and it can be anytime in this cycle. The current cycle is Sept 2012 to July 2016 and everyone should have 1 inspection during it at any time.
    Anyway, the lady was nice and friendly.
    I had a 1 year old and a 2 year old. We played with pretend food, and tea set. The 2 year old was making tea and cake for all of us ( pretend). Ofsted liked it.
    They played play dough; making men first using plastic nose,mouth, eyes.. and making pizzas .
    we went in garden and children played with tent
    , then played with water ( small water table with only 5 cm of water) with leaves in it and plastic dinosaurs.
    children were looking for dinosaurs under leaves in water.
    It went well and Ofsted liked the idea but she asked me how I linked dinosaurs, leaves and water to planning/nest steps and why I chose to hide dinosaurs! In fact that wasn't linked to anything but I knew children would like it.
    Inspector stayed less than 3 hours and she went after lunch. we had early lunch (11:30) as the little one was falling asleep on me and I wanted her to eat first.
    Both children had home packed lunch. The older one cut her banana with a baby knife. The little one who is really fussy with food wasn't too bad that day but she still didn't eat much.
    The 2 year old has speech delay so Ofsted was asking I do to help. I said that I talked to mum and gave her some link for speech help. Mum also talked to health visitors who said not to do much until she starts nursery. My assessments for her do show a progression in speech but slightly below expected level still. Ofsted was pleased with all of that

Ofsted didn't go upstairs ( although toilets are only upstairs; and cots), she didn't look at first aid box/fire blanket/ kitchen.
    She read my portfolio, SEF, children learning journey, planning, register, accident book. I do not write risk assessments and she was fine with it. she was happy with starting points, 2 years old assessment, termly assessment, parents questionnaire, my SEF

She gave me "good" everywhere but she said
    - I should link planning to obs.
    -next steps should link to planning
    -I should write once I have done the next steps ( maybe with date, or new obs)
    - parents should be more a part of planning

She also mentioned that from sept childminder could have the phone call for a visit the next day ( not one week notice anymore).
    Childminder are also now inspected on Prevent and british values ( new) as you all know
    Anyway that that done for a while I hope. I need now to work on my planning.
    Last edited by v 1461; 13-09-2015 at 03:07 PM.

2. Likes lollipop kid, Maza, hectors house liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your inspection in detail. Well done for keeping your grade. You must be very relieved it's over. A bit worrying that we may only get a phone call the day before our inspection. Hopefully we'll hear from other cm's to see if this is consistent.

4. Likes v 1461 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing! Well done you

Your inspector was wrong - we will still get the same notice period we get now for inspections...

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post
    Thank you for sharing your inspection in detail. Well done for keeping your grade. You must be very relieved it's over. A bit worrying that we may only get a phone call the day before our inspection. Hopefully we'll hear from other cm's to see if this is consistent.
    You're lucky even if that's all you get, here in Scotland we get unannounced!! x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your feedback. Well done xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done - glad it was a stress free inspection

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention I didn't offer O a tea or coffee as I thought that could create more problems. It was a day with only pure water.

Simona Guest

The inspector...as Sarah pointed out ....is wrong....very very wrong!

CMs will continue to have a phone call a few days before the inspection...nothing has changed
    This was confirmed by Ofsted itself at London OBC in June....and it is in their guidance.

Schools, nurseries and preschool will NOW receive a call at midday the day before ...the inspection will be the next day.

It beggars belief that an inspector can go around giving misleading information....don't they read Ofsted own guidance?
    I am hopeful this particular inspector will have been re-trained on the CIF and Ofsted new guidance to give accurate information.

Well done on your inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The inspector...as Sarah pointed out ....is wrong....very very wrong! CMs will continue to have a phone call a few days before the inspection...nothing has changed This was confirmed by Ofsted itself at London OBC in June....and it is in their guidance. Schools, nurseries and preschool will NOW receive a call at midday the day before ...the inspection will be the next day. It beggars belief that an inspector can go around giving misleading information....don't they read Ofsted own guidance? I am hopeful this particular inspector will have been re-trained on the CIF and Ofsted new guidance to give accurate information. Well done on your inspection
    Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that if you do have EYFS mindees on your roll but they are on holiday when the inspector wants to inspect you, that the inspection would still go ahead without them present?? Or have I got that wrong?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

to mumofone,

One of my friend got an inspection without any under 5 . Ofsted did give her "met requirements" but she couldn't give her a" proper" grade without under 5.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that if you do have EYFS mindees on your roll but they are on holiday when the inspector wants to inspect you, that the inspection would still go ahead without them present?? Or have I got that wrong?
    Mumofo9ne......sorry about late reply I have just seen this question from you.

when you are called to inform you of your inspection you will be asked all sorts of questions ...you maybe be called by the 'designated inspector' herself or by the inspection co-ordinator ...those seem to be the new titles for Tribal/ Prospects and inspectors in the guidance

They will gather information from you during the call.
    Please tell them if you have no children on the day they intend to inspect you ...whether because they are on holiday or you have none on roll.

take a look at this Ofsted publication so you are ready...this publication is far from clear though
    Deferring an inspection
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ed-inspections

and this
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...september-2015

If there are no children on roll you will ...as stated below...only get MET or UNMET for the requirements but NO grade
    Last edited by Simona; 16-09-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Mumofo9ne......sorry about late reply I have just seen this question from you. when you are called to inform you of your inspection you will be asked all sorts of questions ...you maybe be called by the 'designated inspector' herself or by the inspection co-ordinator ...those seem to be the new titles for Tribal/ Prospects and inspectors in the guidance They will gather information from you during the call. Please tell them if you have no children on the day they intend to inspect you ...whether because they are on holiday or you have none on roll. take a look at this Ofsted publication so you are ready...this publication is far from clear though Deferring an inspection https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ed-inspections and this https://www.gov.uk/government/public...september-2015 If there are no children on roll you will ...as stated below...only get MET or UNMET for the requirements but NO

grade
    Hi simona, I will have children on my roll just not sure whether they will be on holiday or not so I'm interested to know what happens if my mindees are on holiday when they come. It would be unfair not to judge me properly wouldn't it in this instance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by v 1461 View Post
    to mumofone, One of my friend got an inspection without any under 5 . Ofsted did give her "met requirements" but she couldn't give her a" proper" grade without under 5.
    Thanks val is that because she didn't have any under 5's at all or because they weren't present on the day?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely, when you get the phone call you could tell Osted 'unfortunately xxx is on holiday till next tuesday' (for example) and they would arrange a day after that? They are reasonable are they not? What about us childminders who work a 4 day week or less? I'm not going to risk getting downgraded because the inspector has decided that next friday is my inspection day and that is that! In my experience if you are friendly and courteous to them when they call they will/should accommodate us, within reason. For example I take mindees to swimming lessons, paid by parents, twice a week. And I know my parents are supportive but I can't see them being pleased at their child missing a lesson because I've spent the morning indoors just in case the inspector will arrive because she said she will be here in the next 5 days. When they call I will try to explain what days I am available and why I'm not available and take it from there. At least I will have tried.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi simona, I will have children on my roll just not sure whether they will be on holiday or not so I'm interested to know what happens if my mindees are on holiday when they come. It would be unfair not to judge me properly wouldn't it in this instance?
    I know that will worry you as you cannot guess in advance when the inspector calls and if the kids will be on holiday at the same time.
    When you're called and IF the kids are on holiday tell the inspector....I agree it would be unfair to get an ungraded inspection
    Am I correct in thinking you are due a first inspection within 30 months? Do a bit of research with your parents and ask if they plan a holiday around the time the inspection is due?

Let me read the guidance again but I am sure it mentions this in there
    If I were you and I found myself close to an inspection with kids on holidays I would ring the inspection team and talk to them....why not?

Just seen MOH's reply....I totally agree with the comments.
    We need to not be afraid of these inspectors and talk to them!
    Last edited by Simona; 16-09-2015 at 09:50 PM.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like to say my call was late afternoon the day before my inspection also.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Just like to say my call was late afternoon the day before my inspection also.
    Yes my understanding is that CMs can be inspected shortly after the call which can be at any time....the inspection has to be within 5 days

This would go together with section 35 of the inspection handbook if I understood it correctly.