Starting up - What is a realistic wait for first Ofsted Inspection & any tips!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Starting up - What is a realistic wait for first Ofsted Inspection & any tips!

Hi,

I have previously worked as an EYE (Early Years Educator) and, after having my son, decided to go into childminding. I really would like to do this to the best of my abilities and am so excited about the prospect, I just can't wait for the course to find everything out.

So, for those that are reading, could you let me know how long it took from registration for Ofsted to do your first inspection? Is there any way I could get them to come sooner? I'm eager to start as soon as possible.

I'm also looking for any tips to help me to get to outstanding. I'm not sure this is possible in your first inspection, but it can't hurt to try my hardest. I have a million ideas for the children and am up-to-date with the EYFS. I know all about most of the paperwork, due to my past role, but I can't seem to find any information about safety measures and location settings. What are Ofsted looking for in the physical appraisal of your setting?

Sorry about all the questions. I want to be as prepared as possible and can find so little on the web.

Thanks in advance and apologise for any errors - my pc has made me type this three times and I'm giving up now

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is out there, could you also let me know if you got the grant and how long it took? Want to set the room up for the ofsted inspection and will need a few bits and bobs.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted will only do your pre reg once everything is completed, So your course, first aid, your and anyone else in the house over the age of 16 dbs, medical check, social service check. How long is can take does vary on how long each part takes, dbs and social services check can sometimes get held up.

I think you can only apply for the start grant once you have your ey number so once you have had your pre reg.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I did my course in June, I had pre reg last week & still waiting on certificate, you get the grant once your registered and have your certificate in hand. Depending where you live, how many dbs checks & if you join pacey etc you can spend the £500 on that alone, it's cost me £460 so far and still need ico registration. As for getting outstanding, they take 30 months (unlikely to get inspected before then) from registration to give you your first proper inspection. Hope this helps.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both, so much. That's cleared loads up. Luckily, both myself and hubby have had recent dbs's. They'll need to be done again, but hopefully it will be quicker than if we had to do it from scratch (that's what they told me last time, anyhow). Such a mission to get this all done and so costly!

Oh well, you've got to do what you've got to do. This has been really helpful, thank you!

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    becoming childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dots View Post
    I did my course in June, I had pre reg last week & still waiting on certificate, you get the grant once your registered and have your certificate in hand. Depending where you live, how many dbs checks & if you join pacey etc you can spend the £500 on that alone, it's cost me £460 so far and still need ico registration. As for getting outstanding, they take 30 months (unlikely to get inspected before then) from registration to give you your first proper inspection. Hope this helps.
    Hi
    congratulations! I have my pre-reg visit tomorrow... any advice you could give me? what sorts of questions they asked and if you had to give 7 activities to cover 7 areas of learning outcome and how you did them...
    thanks